2017 6.2 throttle hesitation after 6th gear coasting - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

2017 6.2 throttle hesitation after 6th gear coasting

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 02-19-2019, 08:31 AM
ericbent
New User
ericbent is starting off with a positive reputation.

After coasting (no throttle) for a few seconds in 6th gear at low speed (70-90 KpH; 45-55 MpH), I get a 1 - 2 second dead throttle lag when reapplying the throttle. I am seldom (once a week) coasting in 6th gear so it surprises me every time. It is most annoying when I need the throttle response due to city traffic. In summer 2018 it went in for warranty and I asked them to check for an updated shift program. They said there was no update.
Any ideas? Is there an after market tweek?

Old 02-19-2019, 10:42 AM
davidpacificnw
Senior User
davidpacificnw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.davidpacificnw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My guess is that it is simply a syncing issue.with your transmission. If you are coasting in overdrive, basically everything is turning at less than a 1;1 ratio. So, when you push on the throttle, likely that is a sec or so delayed reaction. Wondering what axle ratio you have. I would hypothesize that the a lower (number) would produce more lag.

Just a hypothesis. What the heck do I know?

Old 02-19-2019, 11:17 AM
ericbent
New User
ericbent is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for reply. What do you mean by "syncing" issue? This only happens in this one scenario so It always catches me off guard. My theory was that the transmission program was getting it to shift to each gear before hitting the right gear. eg: it's in 6th but my throttle pressure for that wheel speed requires 3rd, so it shifts to 5th then 4th then 3rd before it gives me throttle. I thought this because I read that the F150 10 speed has "skip a gear" shifting programmed into it. It doesnt need to hit all the gears; it can go straight to the appropriate gear for the conditions.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:35 AM
davidpacificnw
Senior User
davidpacificnw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.davidpacificnw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by ericbent View Post
Thanks for reply. What do you mean by "syncing" issue? This only happens in this one scenario so It always catches me off guard. My theory was that the transmission program was getting it to shift to each gear before hitting the right gear. eg: it's in 6th but my throttle pressure for that wheel speed requires 3rd, so it shifts to 5th then 4th then 3rd before it gives me throttle. I thought this because I read that the F150 10 speed has "skip a gear" shifting programmed into it. It doesnt need to hit all the gears; it can go straight to the appropriate gear for the conditions.
that's what I mean by syncing. So, picture yourself coasting up to the base of a hill on a 10 speed bike while in 10th gear. You hit the base of the hill and need to shift down. You have to ratchet through each gear to get to the right one, Add to that that you're in OD on the coast which means there your engine revs are at their lowest compared to your final drive and the throttle position is a zero...Said, differently, I'd call this normal operating condition. I have a PSD and will try to replicate it this afternoon.

Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.