1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Expedition Brake lines.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 12:10 PM
Pedalmaster
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expedition Brake lines.

Hi all. New here to the site. I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in here at some point in time,, but like most/some of us, Im at my wits ends and I'm hoping someone can help with me an expedited answer to my situation. I'm having to replace both rear stainless brake lines running from the booster block as I call it, all the way back to the flex line to the caliper. Everything is out and now and I've gotten new calipers and pads and rotors already. My problem is,, I can't find any direct replacement lines with the proper flares and fittings. Does anyone know of where they mite exist, or is this a time where I'll need to custom make everything.? I sincerely appreciate any help, tips and even constructive criticism. Thanks

Old 02-16-2019, 05:26 PM
Hamfisted
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
What year is it ? The short lines from the calipers you can get from Rock Auto.
The ones running full length to the rear are still available for some of the old Expies, but you have to hunt. Unless you can get the part numbers from the dealer, that makes it a little easier.
Have you called a Ford dealer in your area ?
Other than that you'd probably have to take the old one(s) off and take 'em to a brake shop that can reproduce something that would work.

Autoparts Warehouse

Old 02-16-2019, 08:20 PM
Pedalmaster
New User
Brake lines

Thanks Hamfisted. I totally forgot to mention some of the more/most important items in my post. It's 2004 Eddie Bauer edition Expedition. 5.4l 4x4..i was so very lucky today in my search for a replacement drivers seat,, that I came across some nearly mint condition looking brake lines on the same truck with the seats. I won't know the exact condition of the lines until I return tomorrow and take them off. I know I have to be patient and careful removing them, because even with cutting my old lines into pieces, they were still a little tough to get out.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:23 AM
aircargoo
Junior User
doing my lines from master cylinder to abs block. mine just started leaking. $311 i got both lines and entire master cylinder at dealer. might do myself DEPENDING HOW lines come off off abs box. hope easy with correct wrench....other then that ill have to pay to bleed and replace parts by a friend not dealer.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:53 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
I typically have the worst luck removing old brake lines. The tubing usually rusts to the fittings and they end up destroyed by trying to remove them.

I have found that the best solution is to buy Nicopp tubing for your new brake lines. This is a nickel/copper blend that makes the tubing relatively easy to bend/form to match the original lines. Just buy new fittings compatible with the part(s) you are not replacing (i,e, ABS unit, caliper, junction block, etc) and the appropriate tubing size. IIRC, a 25 foot roll of nicopp will run less than $25 and you will have NEW lines.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:51 PM
Pedalmaster
New User
Brake lines..

Thanks for the replies guys. I wound up taking brake lines off of another Expedition at a nearby pick n pull. I replaced ALL of the rusted lines on mine with the "new" ones. Did a very thorough bleed job,and even a few low speed test miles around the local air strip field roads. Reinspected all the connections and double checked for leaks and even went as far as to lift the entire truck up and check each wheel in 4 wheel drive mode to make sure each caliper was at least working. So far so good. This is a Virginia based vehicle with 225,000 miles on it. I'm taking time to go through all the vital safety, and dependability items before I go full out freeway mode and take it on any outta town trips. Even with the higher mileage, it runs like a champ. Still has plenty of power, and torque. Trans seems to be doing fine in all modes..My next project is the heat and air. Seems to be working, but not like it should. (as far as the appropriate temperature being at the indicated levels.)