300 6 paint job

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 01:50 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
This totally depends on if you want to go for a stock look, or for something that's custom to you.

For mine, I went with a Red/Black scheme:

Old 02-18-2019, 01:56 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
This totally depends on if you want to go for a stock look, or for something that's custom to you.

For mine, I went with a Red/Black scheme:

Looks good! All I looking for is how the parts are painted in relation to one another. You got block and heads the primary color and all the covers the secondary. You have a painted stock aircleaner or one of the after market ones?

Pictures are great guys, keep them coming, might just have to change this to a 6 show-off thread. Anyone got a painted alternator?

Old 02-18-2019, 02:48 PM
81F(ranken)100
Senior User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Painted alternator in the second photo I read mixed reviews on it. I figured "what the heck, let's give it a try". I may very well eat those words later...

Old 02-19-2019, 02:07 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
I'm toying with the idea of painting the entire inside of the engine compartment in a mural format with a tropical theme. I mean blue skies with a few clouds on the underside of the hood, sandy beaches on the valve cover, palm trees waving in the breeze on the air cleaner, moving to undersea views of marine life on the oil pan.

Or how about an outer space theme like a scene out of Star Wars

I like different - like my '46 where I superimposed flames over checkerboards.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:08 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Kramercd
Looks good! All I looking for is how the parts are painted in relation to one another. You got block and heads the primary color and all the covers the secondary. You have a painted stock aircleaner or one of the after market ones?

Pictures are great guys, keep them coming, might just have to change this to a 6 show-off thread. Anyone got a painted alternator?
Since it has a 4bbl carb, it's an aftermarket one. It's currently chrome, but I have thought about painting it black, since nothing else is.

I wouldn't paint an alternator, as I'd be much too worried about the paint gumming up the internals.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:12 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by The Frenchtown Flyer
I'm toying with the idea of painting the entire inside of the engine compartment in a mural format with a tropical theme. I mean blue skies with a few clouds on the underside of the hood, sandy beaches on the valve cover, palm trees waving in the breeze on the air cleaner, moving to undersea views of marine life on the oil pan.

Or how about an outer space theme like a scene out of Star Wars

I like different - like my '46 where I superimposed flames over checkerboards.

Ive always figured something like that to be a good idea. Keep the outside completely stock, but do something excessive on say, the underside of the hood. Like a special treat for you, unless you take it to car shows, then a treat for them too!

Old 02-19-2019, 02:15 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Yes, that was my plan too - subdued on the outside, but a full-house party going on under the hood!

Old 02-19-2019, 02:15 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Since it has a 4bbl carb, it's an aftermarket one. It's currently chrome, but I have thought about painting it black, since nothing else is.

I wouldn't paint an alternator, as I'd be much too worried about the paint gumming up the internals.
Could hand paint it, with a brush I mean. I'll take a look at mine once I get it clean and see if that looks doable. It's either that or polish it, and paint is much lazier. I'm still working out what's getting painted which color, but I think I'm going to go with black, blue, and cast iron gray.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:00 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You just disassemble them pull all the guts out and mask of the inside of the housings. Then paint the outside of the housings. Once it's dry reassemble and all is good.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:10 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
ive always liked the crappy look on the outside of a vehicle then a clean pristine under the hood and interior also.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:33 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,103 Likes on 1,791 Posts
Originally Posted by Kramercd
Im way too lazy to do this. I did glance at the chrome products lmc has like the valve cover and master cylinder, but I'm also too cheap for that.

Fuzz, been meaning to ask you for awhile. Why did you go with white on the boost and master cylinder, never seen it done before. Was wondering if maybe its a special paint and just happens to be white?
Sorry just seen this now.
Its not white but silver, guess the way the light & camera took the picture looks white.
Not even special paint just what I had on the shelf.
I need to replace them both as the master and booster leak. Have to see how the new ones come. May do the master in a cast iron, darker silver like the trany, and may do black on the booster.
Dave ----

Old 02-23-2019, 05:44 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Sorry just seen this now.
Its not white but silver, guess the way the light & camera took the picture looks white.
Not even special paint just what I had on the shelf.
I need to replace them both as the master and booster leak. Have to see how the new ones come. May do the master in a cast iron, darker silver like the trany, and may do black on the booster.
Dave ----
I've mostly decided on the color of everything. Firewall is black so going to do cast iron on booster, master in blue and the cover of the master in black. What I've got planned so far.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:05 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,103 Likes on 1,791 Posts
Some times if you can find a picture or take one of your set up them use Micro Soft Paint or a program like it to color the parts you want painted to colors you want.
This way if you don't like it just start over in different colors till you come up with colors you like.

If the new booster is not painted I will be doing it in black to keep in from rusting and looking like crap.
The master I will do in the darker cast iron silver to keep in looking nice and close to the non-painted color of the cast iron body.
The bright silver I have them in now just not right in my book.
Dave ----

Old 03-07-2019, 10:45 AM
78Fords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is my paint job, sorry about pic quality

Old 03-08-2019, 08:57 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for sharing. It looks loved!

Quick Reply: 300 6 paint job