Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Limited Slip

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 11:43 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
I have an Aussie in my f150 4x4, auto trans. It's definitely not stealthy on the street. Clunky and loud at times. My father thinks it's mild compared to his old full case Detroit. It bothered me initially in town. I don't know it's there on the highway. Ice, have to mind your right foot a little better. Off road? Traction is insane, and that's the only reason I would install one. Lift a drive tire? No problem, other tire keeps driving. For me that trumps any street quirks. But for winter streets in a 2x4 that will never see serious offroad? Weight and quality tires (severe snow service rated or better) makes way more difference on unplowed or icy streets, without so much tendency to break loose under throttle. I wouldn't lock a street truck unless trying to get a hot rod to hook up. 500+ pounds in the bed with 235 cm wide winter rated tires would be my top choice. That might change if you're not on maintained city streets, but then I'd be looking for a 4x4.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:44 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
I have an Aussie in my f150 4x4, auto trans. It's definitely not stealthy on the street. Clunky and loud at times. My father thinks it's mild compared to his old full case Detroit. It bothered me initially in town. I don't know it's there on the highway. Ice, have to mind your right foot a little better. Off road? Traction is insane, and that's the only reason I would install one. Lift a drive tire? No problem, other tire keeps driving. For me that trumps any street quirks. But for winter streets in a 2x4 that will never see serious offroad? Weight and quality tires (severe snow service rated or better) makes way more difference on unplowed or icy streets, without so much tendency to break loose under throttle. I wouldn't lock a street truck unless trying to get a hot rod to hook up. 500+ pounds in the bed with 235 cm wide winter rated tires would be my top choice. That might change if you're not on maintained city streets, but then I'd be looking for a 4x4.
What gear oil are you using? I have 85w140 in my axles and it keeps the lockers quiet, you may want to check the clearances on your locker also, I have installed Aussie lockers before and the only thing you could hear is a slight cliking when going around a corner, but you had to have the radio off and be listing for it to hear it.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 AM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by 00t444e
What gear oil are you using? I have 85w140 in my axles and it keeps the lockers quiet, you may want to check the clearances on your locker also, I have installed Aussie lockers before and the only thing you could hear is a slight cliking when going around a corner, but you had to have the radio off and be listing for it to hear it.
85w-140 oil, helps bearing life. It's quietest on cold days. Clearance was all in spec at install, with brand new thrust washers used. What's odd is right turns are quiet like you described your's to be, and tend to lock up under less throttle but it's smooth. Left turns are quiet unless I touch the throttle, at which point the ratcheting is noticed. With enough traction there's a slight bind/release feeling as the ratcheting begins. Step into it and it locks up. That's all street manners. I read review after review, and it sounded like sometimes you get a nearly silent one, and sometimes they're more clunky. I suspect case wear dictates this, even when everything is still within tolerance. I am curious to pull the cover for the next oil change for inspection, though the magnetic drain plug checks clean so I'm not expecting to find anything wrong. I've put about 10k miles on it since June when I installed it, and it's been consistent in its behavior.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:56 PM
TobyB
More Turbo
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
Rear wheel drive vehicles just don't go good in the snow.Compound the issue by making one a truck and now you've got a bad/bad situation.A system made to push and a light one on top of it.The best way to fix the issue is to add a front axle and make the poor traction design pull,not only instead but in addition to push.
With the F150's it's actually just all bolt in but since it's not something used often,the best thing you can do is to add weight in the bed.Set a yard of dirt right over the rear axle in the bed.This will aid much more traction in snow more than adding a LS in the rear.Your still left with pushing a light box.Adding weight is near free and fast.Very effective too.It can make your truck go so much better,it will feel like your driving something far different.
Make sure you're running small/skinny tires too.Another good option really,especially if your 2wd is nice and clean as a result of it's poor traction,it probably spent most of it's life off winter roads.A little beater front wheel drive car for winter use is pretty hard to beat.
This, really. Add chains to the weight, if you're feeling really macho.

t
blew his front diff last week
and is now reliving his youth.