Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Thinking about rigging up a 48 gallon gas tank to my truck

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about rigging up a 48 gallon gas tank to my truck

Old 02-22-2019, 04:27 PM
Section179
Elder User
Section179 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good luck! Maybe you’ll get us a wink and a nod about using their existing diesel tank...

Old 03-15-2019, 01:25 PM
Msu50000
Freshman User
Msu50000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sort of resurrecting this as camping season approaches. Does anyone have a pic of a 6.2L tank from a 2017-2019 CCSB? I've found some diagrams from online but not actual photos.

I'd like to compare side by side a new Titan tank replacement next to the 6.2L tank. If sending unit mounting locations are the same and straps can be fabbed up maybe it would work? I know they can't market it as a replacement tank for gasoline vehicles, but if sending unit mounting locations match and the 6.2 sending units mount into the Titan, why wouldn't it work?

...maybe I'm grasping at straws...but like my earlier post said, the most I can ever get in my tank is 26 gallons.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:39 PM
Commodorefirst
New User
Commodorefirst is starting off with a positive reputation.
I certainly have been frustrated with the 36 gallon gasser tank, I am spoiled with my old 96 Dodge shortbed 4x4 that has a stock 26 gallon, and I added an aftermarket 40 gallon in the spare tire area complete with electric transfer pump and vents and overflow. 65 gallons, 900 mile range.

Getting my superduty 2019, i was shocked at the fact there are no longer gas aftermarket aux tanks. Long sigh...

Old 03-16-2019, 07:20 AM
Section179
Elder User
Maybe someone with the helm manual could post gas vs diesel pictures? This would help assess potentially putting the diesel-use tank in the gasser

I’m fairly confident the fuel pump port would be the same. Seems like the thing we will have to worry the most about is the evap system and how finicky it will be...seems to me though the evap system with proper multipoint venting shouldn’t look at a 48 gallon tank with one gallon left any differently than a 56 gallon tank with 8 gallons left... so if the system accommodate the cclb tank without different parts it seems there shouldn’t be an issue with a bigger tank....

Old 03-16-2019, 12:06 PM
Msu50000
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Section179 View Post
Maybe someone with the helm manual could post gas vs diesel pictures? This would help assess potentially putting the diesel-use tank in the gasser

I’m fairly confident the fuel pump port would be the same. Seems like the thing we will have to worry the most about is the evap system and how finicky it will be...seems to me though the evap system with proper multipoint venting shouldn’t look at a 48 gallon tank with one gallon left any differently than a 56 gallon tank with 8 gallons left... so if the system accommodate the cclb tank without different parts it seems there shouldn’t be an issue with a bigger tank....
x2

just haven't found an actual pic of the tank, only non-specificn drawings without much detail...

Old 03-16-2019, 12:53 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
I was going to move my tank from stock position to where the chasis cab trucks have them which is spare tire location. When I checked into it, nothing from stock position tank was usable on chasis cab position ones so pricing it out would include everything.

Might be be an option.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:58 PM
maypo59
Senior User
maypo59 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Msu50000 View Post
Sort of resurrecting this as camping season approaches. Does anyone have a pic of a 6.2L tank from a 2017-2019 CCSB? I've found some diagrams from online but not actual photos.

I'd like to compare side by side a new Titan tank replacement next to the 6.2L tank. If sending unit mounting locations are the same and straps can be fabbed up maybe it would work? I know they can't market it as a replacement tank for gasoline vehicles, but if sending unit mounting locations match and the 6.2 sending units mount into the Titan, why wouldn't it work?

...maybe I'm grasping at straws...but like my earlier post said, the most I can ever get in my tank is 26 gallons.
Well.. the most you have ever added to your tank is 26 gallons.. It's a 34 gallon tank. It's not like Ford said.. "hey lets build this one truck with a 26 gallon tank".. and you bought it. I STRONGLY suspect you have more than 1 or 2 gallons left in the tank when you are filling up. Our truck has almost 15K miles on it, 90% of them towing our travel trailer, I added 10 gallons of storage/emergency fuel cans in the bed. So far, I have never needed them. My bladder (or the dogs) decides it's time to stop before my gas gauge does. I have in fact, added 31 gallons once.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:29 AM
Msu50000
Freshman User
Originally Posted by maypo59 View Post
Well.. the most you have ever added to your tank is 26 gallons.. It's a 34 gallon tank. It's not like Ford said.. "hey lets build this one truck with a 26 gallon tank".. and you bought it. I STRONGLY suspect you have more than 1 or 2 gallons left in the tank when you are filling up. Our truck has almost 15K miles on it, 90% of them towing our travel trailer, I added 10 gallons of storage/emergency fuel cans in the bed. So far, I have never needed them. My bladder (or the dogs) decides it's time to stop before my gas gauge does. I have in fact, added 31 gallons once.

​​​​​​I'll run the tank as dry as I can get and keep a spare 5 gallon in the back. Just kind of odd that every time I've had the tank as low as I dared to go, it came out to 26 gallons and some change. Probably done this 6 or 7 timest now. That's a lot of margin between what the tank holds and what my instruments tell me. Good to know while towing the TT this summer I guess and maybe that's what they intended.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:05 AM
Section179
Elder User
Originally Posted by Msu50000 View Post
​​​​​​I'll run the tank as dry as I can get and keep a spare 5 gallon in the back. Just kind of odd that every time I've had the tank as low as I dared to go, it came out to 26 gallons and some change. Probably done this 6 or 7 timest now. That's a lot of margin between what the tank holds and what my instruments tell me. Good to know while towing the TT this summer I guess and maybe that's what they intended.
what year is your truck? There was a tsb related to dte on early current gens:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...0&postcount=41

Old 03-17-2019, 10:42 AM
Msu50000
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Section179 View Post

what year is your truck? There was a tsb related to dte on early current gens:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...0&postcount=41
2018, I'll check that out, didn't know about that. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.