Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Starter solenoid clicks when I turn key but dosent crank

Old 02-10-2019, 06:07 PM
1984oldn’slow
Junior User
1984oldn’slow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Starter solenoid clicks when I turn key but dosent crank

Hi, I have a 1984 f150 with an in-line 6. Earlier in the week when I went to start my truck it just clicked and when I tried again it started fine. And then a couple days later I went to start it it would click every time I turn the key but it would not turn over. I hit the solenoid with the back of a screw driver a couple times and tried wiggling the wires a little bit and it then started right up, it also started fine later that day. I’m just wondering if I should replace the solenoid or if it could be that some of the connections are dirty or if it could be another problem. Any feedback would be great, Thanks Colby.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:16 PM
matthewq4b
Postmaster
matthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 1984oldn’slow View Post
Hi, I have a 1984 f150 with an in-line 6. Earlier in the week when I went to start my truck it just clicked and when I tried again it started fine. And then a couple days later I went to start it it would click every time I turn the key but it would not turn over. I hit the solenoid with the back of a screw driver a couple times and tried wiggling the wires a little bit and it then started right up, it also started fine later that day. I’m just wondering if I should replace the solenoid or if it could be that some of the connections are dirty or if it could be another problem. Any feedback would be great, Thanks Colby.
Check your Connections first. Battery clamps first. Then at solenoid then the ground to engine block and finally at the starter.
If none of that resolves it then suspect the starter relay.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:27 PM
1984oldn’slow
Junior User
1984oldn’slow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by matthewq4b View Post
Check your Connections first. Battery clamps first. Then at solenoid then the ground to engine block and finally at the starter.
If none of that resolves it then suspect the starter relay.
Thanks I appreciate it, I will try that tomorrow.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:15 PM
kr98664
Posting Guru
kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.
Here you go, written specifically for such a situation:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...w-starter.html

Make sure your battery is fully charged, both for the test and for everyday use. Winter is tough on a battery. If your winter driving pattern is short, infrequent trips with headlights on, heater fan on high, and your stereo blaring The Carpenters (I don't judge), your poor charging system may not be able to keep the battery topped off.

With such factors, even with no true faults, you end up with a partially depleted battery. The only hitch is you don't notice anything amiss until one morning the starter relay makes an unsatisfying click, followed by a whole lot of nothing. So charge the battery, run the 5 minute test linked above, and see what happens. If everything passes, your battery was probably getting run down due to your driving pattern.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:15 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
If your dash lights and everything else goes out when it clicks, I would lean toward a poor connection at the battery terminals. If everything stays bright, I would tend to believe it is a starter/solenoid problem.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:02 PM
82_F100_300Six
Posting Guru
82_F100_300Six has a great reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a great reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a great reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a great reputation on FTE.
my 1980 rescued a 2015 friday. when i connected the jumper cables i couldnt even get the dome lights to come on....like....wow
in fact before that i couldnt even get in the car to open the hood because the door locks would not activate.
fortunately you tube saved me and i watched how to remove a cap for a door lock and a key inside the fob......first world problems...right on
either that was seriously one dead battery or some really terrible jumper cables.
i went and got them a new battery and i havent taken the old one back yet im trying to see if it can be saved. what the heck its a $22 core charge.

and yes the above described driving routine applies to the rescued vehicle

​​​

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.