Hauling 3,000lbs while towing 8,600lbs. Is a 6.7 justified? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Hauling 3,000lbs while towing 8,600lbs. Is a 6.7 justified?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hauling 3,000lbs while towing 8,600lbs. Is a 6.7 justified?

Old 02-12-2019, 07:55 AM
USMC1302Colt
New User
USMC1302Colt is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hereís the sticker.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:17 AM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
gsxr1300 has a very good reputation on FTE.gsxr1300 has a very good reputation on FTE.gsxr1300 has a very good reputation on FTE.
there should be a yellow sticker that's the one that says cargo capacity.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 AM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
gsxr1300 has a very good reputation on FTE.gsxr1300 has a very good reputation on FTE.gsxr1300 has a very good reputation on FTE.
similar to this

Old 02-12-2019, 10:42 AM
Fefanatic
Elder User
Fefanatic is starting off with a positive reputation.
To me you are getting into that danger zone where anything can happen and it wouldn't be good. Have you considered trading your travel trailer in on a longer toy hauler? That would be the best of both worlds for you. I tow quite a bit with my '15 F350 single wheel and recently made a 1800 mile round trip to pick up a F250 on a trailer. Even the F250 weight made a couple of maneuvers a little dicey and puckered the hemmoroids a couple of times. I tow a travel trailer to bass tournaments I attend and I either have my wife tow the boat behind her truck or have my fishing partner tow the boat with his truck. Sometimes a second vehicle would also be better. Buy the truck, tow the travel trailer with the truck and have someone else tow your RV's with a different vehicle. At least you would be safe to enjoy your toys.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:56 PM
USMC1302Colt
New User
GSXR1300, I will have to have the dealership send me another photo as the truck is a couple hours drive and a mountain pass away and we've had snow falling every day for about the last 8 days so roads are treacherous.

FeFanatic, I definitely see what you are saying and I am starting to think that way at this point. I already own a 12K flat bed equipment trailer that will accommodate our Side by Side, 4-wheelers and dirt bikes. I was just trying to jam everything onto one truck. We're satisfied with our travel trailer at this point in time and I don't want to spend more money on new one either. Our Expedition can tow the ORVs on the equipment trailer easily, I just have to train my wife how to tow a trailer, ha ha! A one ton Dually is probably the only safe option to do what I was thinking. There are several 6.0 Powerstroke Duallys around in the price range I want to spend, but I just don't know if I want deal with that motor and it's problems. I guess if the price was low enough, I could take the truck and put another $7-8k into it to fix the known deficiency's and bullet proof the motor. I don't want to go anywhere near the 6.4 though, which kind of sucks because they are around for low prices.

Is the 6.0 Powerstroke even worth considering?

Old 02-12-2019, 06:15 PM
USMC1302Colt
New User

Gents,

Locally, there is an Ď07 F-350 6.0 Powerstroke 4x4 CCLB Dually with 93k miles that is in excellent condition for $20k. Itís on consignment at a local car lot. Itís owned by a local businessman. He bought it in 2016 with 47k on it from the same dealer. The truck was purchased by the dealership from a local municipality parks and rec. The car lot owner, who is from a local farming family showed me that the same gentlemen had purchased 2 other F-350 6.0s from him along with 5 other trucks over the years. He put this truck on consignment and bought an Ď09 Dodge Dually.

I wasnít really considering 6.0s but this truck is really good shape and appears to have been maintained well. It has had the following replaced/added in the last 3 years: high pressure oil pump, oil cooler kit, intake gasket set, and the fuel pressure regulator. $2,100 in work. Other than a cold air intake, it appears to be stock.

A local diesel mechanic shop did the work. Iím going to call them about the truck as well.

I had a friend with an Ď04 6.0 that grenaded itself. Plus I have read about the issues the motors have. I have shyed away from them for those reasons. What are the thoughts of this community that has more experience with Powerstroke diesels?

Old 02-12-2019, 07:00 PM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by USMC1302Colt View Post
I had a friend with an Ď04 6.0 that grenaded itself. Plus I have read about the issues the motors have. I have shyed away from them for those reasons. What are the thoughts of this community that has more experience with Powerstroke diesels?
6.0L questions would get more responses in the proper forum for that engine.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/

Old 02-12-2019, 07:09 PM
Fefanatic
Elder User
Fefanatic is starting off with a positive reputation.
The thing that scares the crap out of me the most in those pictures is the K&N filter on the intake. Ford made a great flowing and cleaning filter. That K&N is letting foreign debris into the engine. I would be leery of that. JMO

Old 02-12-2019, 08:31 PM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
If you are searching for new rig, have you considered a chassis cab dually configuration with say a 9 or 10 for flat deck? I have put a rzr 800s in the bed, rubs the entire way, and towed our toy hauler just fine. This keeps the cog lower but still probably puts us at max for vehicle. Always thought a flat bed would have been easier/better.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:53 PM
USMC1302Colt
New User
Originally Posted by cangim View Post
If you are searching for new rig, have you considered a chassis cab dually configuration with say a 9 or 10 for flat deck? I have put a rzr 800s in the bed, rubs the entire way, and towed our toy hauler just fine. This keeps the cog lower but still probably puts us at max for vehicle. Always thought a flat bed would have been easier/better.
I have, and am looking for whatís out there as well.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:58 AM
The Bone
Elder User
The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.
Te sticker you are looking fore is yellow in color. You can go by the sticker on the trailer for it's weight
The brochure is only general information and basically only covers XL trucks.

Say you have a 10,000 load capacity truck. Then you add the options like heated and cooled seats. They weigh 100 pounds so you subtract this and all the rest from the load capacity until optioned out. Ford does consider all fluids including fuel and one 150 pound driver. you have to subtract that number from the 10,000 pounds. It goes this way till the truck you are looking at is weighed. The yellow has all this information on it. Not tires or vin number.
Gas trucks get the most load capacity because the motor weighs less. The towing capacity has nothing to do with load capacity. Towing is how much weight a truck can pull and a diesel will pull way more than gas trucks.
You do have to look at combined weight when you buy your truck because that includes the weight of the truck and trailer combined.

I went through all this when I got my F250. It made my head hurt. I ended up with a 10,000 package when I wanted the 11,500 truck. I was to late in the season and they 15's were on the way out. I wanted the incentives. I pull a 13,000# 5th wheel with my 6.7. I love my truck. Have towed over 30,000 miles so far.
Larry may have a photo of yellow sticker. It's raining here or i would get mine.

I went and looked at my yellow sticker and I thought it was completely yellow. Been a long time sense I looked at mine. LOL Thefirst yellow sticker shows the weight that this truck can have as payload at 2,799 and the second sticker is a DRW truck with a GVW of 4,972
Here in California a DRW truck will have a higher registration fee and a SRW with a 11,500 payload will have higher fees also.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:38 PM
FiveOJester
Senior User
FiveOJester is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.FiveOJester is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by USMC1302Colt View Post
Gents,

Locally, there is an ‘07 F-350 6.0 Powerstroke 4x4 CCLB Dually with 93k miles that is in excellent condition for $20k. It’s on consignment at a local car lot. It’s owned by a local businessman. He bought it in 2016 with 47k on it from the same dealer. The truck was purchased by the dealership from a local municipality parks and rec. The car lot owner, who is from a local farming family showed me that the same gentlemen had purchased 2 other F-350 6.0s from him along with 5 other trucks over the years. He put this truck on consignment and bought an ‘09 Dodge Dually.

I wasn’t really considering 6.0s but this truck is really good shape and appears to have been maintained well. It has had the following replaced/added in the last 3 years: high pressure oil pump, oil cooler kit, intake gasket set, and the fuel pressure regulator. $2,100 in work. Other than a cold air intake, it appears to be stock.

A local diesel mechanic shop did the work. I’m going to call them about the truck as well.

I had a friend with an ‘04 6.0 that grenaded itself. Plus I have read about the issues the motors have. I have shyed away from them for those reasons. What are the thoughts of this community that has more experience with Powerstroke diesels?

6.0's are great motors once they get all the common issues fixed. Lots of guys get 300k+ out of the stock engine/tranny.

Find a local mechanic whom is familiar with 6.0's to look at it before purchase and he should be able to tell you all that will need doing. I would ask around, most mechanics don't understand 6.0's, even diesel speicifc shops. Typically it's about $5-6k in upgrades/repairs if they have to do everything.

For what you are looking for I think that 07 looks like a great deal. I would get a repair estimate and negotiate that out of the price.

The 6.0 forum here is outstanding for help. Go read up on their stickies to get familiar.

That engine looks stock except for that K&N. They let thru dust and it can "dust" the turbo, requiring replacement. Go back to the stock air cleaner.

Also it looks like it might have green coolant in it. That could be a big problem as the green coolant can't handle the high temps thru the EGR cooler. These came stock with the "gold" coolant and a lot of guys go to the Red ELC coolant as it's completely silicate free (gold is "almost free"). If it's got green there's a 99% chance it will need an oil & egr cooler.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: