Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

grinding noise in front end after shifting from 4wd to 2wd

Old 02-10-2019, 11:19 AM
diamond dogs
Freshman User
diamond dogs is starting off with a positive reputation.
grinding noise in front end after shifting from 4wd to 2wd

truck is a 92 f150 300-6 manual, manual locking hubs. going down the highway randomly it will make a loud grinding noise that seems to be around the transfer case or front diff. not really any vibration goes with it, but the sound is awefull. really sounds like trying to down shift into too low of a gear with bad syncros. put the clutch in, no difference. tried shifting it in and out of 4wd, also didnt seemm to make a difference, altho i didnt drive far,.just went straight home and parked it.

i read that the front hubs might not be unlocking, amd that might be causing noise in the diff? not really sure why the diff would make that kind of noise while being back driven though. did some searches and wasnt able to find allot on this specific issue, any ideas?

thanks

Old 02-10-2019, 07:23 PM
TooManyMIce
Senior User
TooManyMIce is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a crappy old automatic hub go out in a Nissan once and it was the same kind of noise. I haven't had an F-series hub to bits but I'd bet something's bound up or broken and the collar that locks the axle to the wheel hub isn't retracting as far as it should, or isn't being held, so it's trying to engage when the front diff and driveshaft aren't turning. I'd jack it up, put the transfer in 4x, and see if you can make it make the noise just by spinning the wheels by hand. If not, lock the hubs and see if both sides work.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:17 AM
diamond dogs
Freshman User
Originally Posted by TooManyMIce View Post
I had a crappy old automatic hub go out in a Nissan once and it was the same kind of noise. I haven't had an F-series hub to bits but I'd bet something's bound up or broken and the collar that locks the axle to the wheel hub isn't retracting as far as it should, or isn't being held, so it's trying to engage when the front diff and driveshaft aren't turning. I'd jack it up, put the transfer in 4x, and see if you can make it make the noise just by spinning the wheels by hand. If not, lock the hubs and see if both sides work.
that does sound like it might be the case, thanks ill try that

Old 02-14-2019, 11:15 AM
cooksmtn
Junior User
cooksmtn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had a similar problem many years ago with a 73 Dodge, warn hubs. Left front hub wasn't completely retracting in the unlocked position. More of a ratcheting noise that I could hear clearly with the window open and my head out at low speed. Spring in the hub was weak, allowing the splines to touch but not engage in unlock position.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:58 PM
Birdhunter1
Posting Guru
Birdhunter1 has a good reputation on FTE.Birdhunter1 has a good reputation on FTE.Birdhunter1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Take a can of spray paint and paint an index mark on the u joint in each steering knuckle. After you hear the sound again go look to see if the index marks have moved.
If it has moved then remove the hub on that side and drive again to see if you get the noise, if you don't replace that hub.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:59 PM
diamond dogs
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Birdhunter1 View Post
Take a can of spray paint and paint an index mark on the u joint in each steering knuckle. After you hear the sound again go look to see if the index marks have moved.
If it has moved then remove the hub on that side and drive again to see if you get the noise, if you don't replace that hub.
thanks for the tip, ill try that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.