6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Forensics of my 2003 Ford Motorcraft Remanufactured Motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 02:49 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
With the already >100K pricing of new trucks these days, and with hybrid and electric mandates on the horizon, and with the predicted exponent of inflation, expect to also remove 200K from the bank account.
Maybe time to go back to a simpler way of life, repair and diagnosis.

Of course, if we are doing away with petroleum products in 10 years ....

Somebody needs to clean that roadway, waterway pollution and all.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:56 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Received 473 Likes on 313 Posts
Don't forget about horse flatulence. That's pollution also, according to some.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:59 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Only Rusty .......

Old 02-15-2019, 03:06 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Not that I'm making any excuses for this, but I want to clarify a bit. Ford sells these and markets them as Ford remans. Ford does not reman ANY engines. All remans are outsourced.

There are a handful or reman companies around that periodically bid on doing Ford's remans. Knowing what I know about how they outsource things, cost is no only king, it's about the only thing considered. Ford won't go with a reman company that shows them they do better work than the others if they cost more than the others. I don't know who did the 6.0L remans.

I forgot, point taken. I think I can remove my name from consideration of Ford supplied remanufactured transmissions at this point as I'm assuming the same methodology exists.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:25 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by yardbird
Don't forget about horse flatulence. That's pollution also, according to some.
Well I guess that takes horse off the menu. Maybe we can switch to port. Oh wait they fart also.

Better yet lets just toss this baby out with the bath water. The intelligence behind the idea is so...
When asked how we would pay for all of this that person answer was "jJust print more money." Do they not teach economics in school any more?

So Jack to keep this on the topic. What is your time table looking like on this project?

Old 02-15-2019, 03:26 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
I forgot, point taken. I think I can remove my name from consideration of Ford supplied remanufactured transmissions at this point as I'm assuming the same methodology exists.
That was the inference that I thought was in between the lines, so to speak...

Old 02-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
It certainly does. Ford does not remanufacture any product.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:40 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Sean,

Lets see.....

Motor pulled October 27, 2017, at 3:26pm. A few health problems, occasional step-aways to calm down (just checked blood pressure after responding in this thread, not a good split) like a few days after today, and financial timeouts. It will be a while yet. Hell, a video takes me more than a month.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:09 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
I don't want to wait for a month to know what you did about the gouge in the crank journal, and whether or not you had the block line bored.

For some inexplicable reason, unsatiated curiosity on those two points is making my blood pressure rise?

Old 02-15-2019, 04:51 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Cam lobe gouge; replaced the cam. Ford service replacement showed a pitted lobe with a new cam blank design (cheaper?) so that was returned and an aftermarket cam purchased. Although that had issues too, but could work it out at home. Starting to learn to do way more with a whittling knife.

The block bore checked straight and mic'd within spec, it's the crank that is ground offset by a few thou. That I may leave as is as I can't get any commitment to how bad the situation is. I don't like it, but so far it lived for 70k. Cranks from Ford are now reman at over $2,000 and I already have one of those , but its includes the bearings......

Me, Wilson and Pandora will make it home someday.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:59 PM
Y2KW57
I thought you were concerned about a large divot on the 7-8 connecting rod journal of the crank?

Old 02-15-2019, 05:19 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Originally Posted by TheRealRaf
Very much looking forward to the upcoming videos Jack. After DieselTechRon's passing there's been a void of informative, well thought out, and helpful 6.0 videos on YouTube. It's refreshing to see someone put in the effort to the benefit of others so thank you.

Curious if during the teardown process you happened to get a value on how much torque was required to turn the engine over or if that's a spec that exists somewhere out there. Currently dealing with a crank no-start unless plugged in (rpms under 150) and wondering if after I eliminate all the usual suspects and it comes down to internal engine resistance if there's a quantifiable spec I can use to measure against.

Hoping you get the truck back together soon.
Thanks. I do not think the weird stuff I do will ever benefit the masses like what DTR or srmastertech have done, and I get kind of controversial anyway.

I’ve not taken any torque measurements of rotating the crankshaft. When checking the valvetrain movement even with my long breakerbar I had let the compression bleed during rotation. Now, with crank and cam only in motion, its not that difficult to rotate.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:19 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Would it be premature to ask when the next in the series of Jumpin JACK Flash "how-to" instructional videos: Jack shows: how to "properly" rebuild your Torqshift will come out??! Those autos are just a magic box to me - I just about have to send Mark a PM on how to use the shift lever...

I'd take the high blood pressure any day, at this point... :-/

Scott

Old 02-15-2019, 05:24 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Y2KW57
I thought you were concerned about a large divot on the 7-8 connecting rod journal of the crank?
i didn’t see one of those. Cam lobe 8 exhaust is the one with gouges that I believe came from a previous failed roller or lobe. The main and connecting rod crank journals looked very good, measured round and in good spec, and home polished very nicely. That you’ll have to wait for the video. Probably June at my rate.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:51 PM
Y2KW57
Ah yes it all comes back to me now, as I recall you describing where the gouge was on the ramps of the cam lobe. Good thing there wasn't a test to have to take at the end of the video. I'd have missed at least one answer.

For some reason I had it in mind that a mis-seated rod bearing did some damage as well, but now that I think about it, that shifted rod bearing was cylinder 3 or 4.

Ok here is another test question that I missed...

Did you ever come to a definitive conclusion about the smoking gun of the noise that inspired the tear down in the first place?

I think I (and no doubt you) got so distracted by all the other items you discovered, that I lost track of exactly what was determined to cause the noise in the first place, or if that determination was made.

When I was going to school, we didn't have video. At best, we had film strips, and for the most part we were taught READING and comprehension, not watching and comprehension. That's about the only excuse I can muster at the moment.

Quick Reply: Forensics of my 2003 Ford Motorcraft Remanufactured Motor