6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Forensics of my 2003 Ford Motorcraft Remanufactured Motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:53 AM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Well Jack i certainly watched to the end. And i learned alot so thank you very much for creating such a well thought out video of your situation.
Not alot of folks can bring it all together like you have done and that goes for all your videos.
And im sure any 6.0 owner can feel your pain with so many issues going on at the same time.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:42 PM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
I'm debating that right now, Bill. I've never in my life run into an issue where journals were mis-ground, or maybe they were but I never had the need of checking for that. My first hand experience of watching the process decades ago was the journal was indexed off itself, then ground undersize and true. I'm not sure how other then punching in on a CNC grinder you would correct the situation.

But the other situation as someone else has noted, how critical is this or common? This motor wasn't as smooth as the OE motor, but that may have been due to the connecting rod bearing rather than an imbalance created by the amount of journal offset. It's a more questions than answers situation with one 6.0 under my belt. And I'm already expending way more money into this motor then I ever thought of. So I'm getting lost in the cost/benefit analysis with a rusting truck.

I'd fight thru it -- since I just got a bad case of sticker shock visiting the Ford, Ram dealers pricing up new diesels --- $65K or so and frankly the Ford 6.7L is one bloody rats nest of plumbing, electrical................Cummins not so much........If I could only put the Cummins motor in a Ford chassis.............problems solved.............

Isn't the 6.0 B50 for 200K or so miles ((300K for the VT365)...............

Old 02-13-2019, 02:34 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
It was 20 years ago and we were not in the powertrain. I remember them longer but to us the B numbers were always a joke. It's all influenced on the variable of maintenance and use, more reliable for Class 8 motors.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:16 PM
Carolina Rig
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. The issues you uncovered certainly are a travesty. I hope that there was or will be some form of financial compensation. You are certainly owed it here.

The expression “Put together on a Friday at 4 o’clock” would have sufficed for the bolt in oil cooler sump. I don’t have the vocabulary to express what I feel after seeing the myriad of other issues you found on a single engine.
sorry man! Thanks for your contribution here. I have learned a great deal from you!

Old 02-13-2019, 05:50 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
I just now watched the entire video, all in one sitting, all the way to the end, despite having other pressing matters hanging over my head to attend to.

"Forensics" is an apt term, because the way Jack develops his points and conclusions is lawyerly layered, where a base layer of necessity and importance is introduced first, then the facts of the matter are established, supported with corroborating evidence, which then allows the viewer to connect the dots and arrive at a conclusion. This carefully constructed communication is well calculated to be convincing, without being contrived. It is best absorbed without interruption. It is calmly and deftly delivered with understatment, rather than hollered with hyperbole.

In short, it is a typical Jack video... excellently executed.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:45 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Carolina Rig, I can't see anything but me owning this by this time.

Y2K, Thank you, your comments mean a lot to me. Not that others are less.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:18 PM
Justin Jones
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mr. Jack, not to sound mushy but I am in awe of your particularness (if that's a word). And I think of myself as pretty particular about most things.

Absolutely well done. Looking forward to the other videos!

Old 02-14-2019, 08:51 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very informative. Curious what your plan is now?

Old 02-14-2019, 09:35 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Making Pandora into Phoenix.

Dressed the decks (video almost ready)
Dressed the heads (video in works)
Dressed the crank (video in works)
Stage 2 cam polished and installed with new bearings (video in works)
Reassembled the bottom end (video in works)
De-rusted/cleaned the cooling jackets (video in works)
Reduced highest protrusion pistons (video in works)
All exterior assemblies painted (no video)
All hardware dressed and painted (no video)
Engine and FiICM electrical harness re-wrapped (video in works)
Exhaust manifolds painted need to be wrapped (video in works)

TBD
Deciding if I want to test pressure of head to block gasket contact (FujiFilm and/or carbon paper).
Bolt on heads
Build coolant vent lines
Assembly remaining parts to block

Each step is held while compiling video to try to make sure I have everything (something is always skipped)

Or if frustration gets the best of me, boat anchor or lawn art.

Looks like can't add pictures tonight.........

Old 02-15-2019, 11:44 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Yea!!! Finally: a one million mile 6.0...

I want to see the start-up video!

Scott

Old 02-15-2019, 12:37 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

If I can patch this up to get another 50k, I'll be happy. A million, no way. After 50k then we remove 200 from the F-350 badge.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:49 PM
TheRealRaf
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very much looking forward to the upcoming videos Jack. After DieselTechRon's passing there's been a void of informative, well thought out, and helpful 6.0 videos on YouTube. It's refreshing to see someone put in the effort to the benefit of others so thank you.

Curious if during the teardown process you happened to get a value on how much torque was required to turn the engine over or if that's a spec that exists somewhere out there. Currently dealing with a crank no-start unless plugged in (rpms under 150) and wondering if after I eliminate all the usual suspects and it comes down to internal engine resistance if there's a quantifiable spec I can use to measure against.

Hoping you get the truck back together soon.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:04 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
After 50k then we remove 200 from the F-350 badge.
With the already >100K pricing of new trucks these days, and with hybrid and electric mandates on the horizon, and with the predicted exponent of inflation, expect to also remove 200K from the bank account.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:17 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Not that I'm making any excuses for this, but I want to clarify a bit. Ford sells these and markets them as Ford remans. Ford does not reman ANY engines. All remans are outsourced.

There are a handful or reman companies around that periodically bid on doing Ford's remans. Knowing what I know about how they outsource things, cost is no only king, it's about the only thing considered. Ford won't go with a reman company that shows them they do better work than the others if they cost more than the others. I don't know who did the 6.0L remans.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:47 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Mark,

I do understand the situation, and understand that you are only trying to clarify. I indemnify you from any of this.

But Ford markets and sells the product. The brochure instructs the customer that the product it is selling is better than other companies and in fact names Jasper as a competitor. Jasper during some periods of time may even be the supplier of Ford remans, but in this case, I'm expecting it to be CAT. If a product with some semblance of quality can't be sourced, especially at this pricing level, then Ford should just tell the customer look elsewhere. Giving the impression that it is a higher quality product in the marketplace doesn't fit in my book of ethics.

At the time of purchase this was a hard financial hit, but my making. . I made a bad choice believing something that was not true, after having a full career in the automotive industry. For someone who is standing at a service advisor's station who maybe can't change his own oil, this is criminal at this cost and quality.

Overall a good example of how to take a problematic situation (International's motor) and make it even worse.

Last edited by TooManyToys.; 02-15-2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Removed personal points in the argument.

Quick Reply: Forensics of my 2003 Ford Motorcraft Remanufactured Motor