Forensics of my 2003 Ford Motorcraft Remanufactured Motor - Page 9 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Forensics of my 2003 Ford Motorcraft Remanufactured Motor

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Forensics of my 2003 Ford Motorcraft Remanufactured Motor

Old 03-13-2019, 03:07 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
There were a couple of slides I forgot to add into the Lapping Decks video or ones that I think are better to read then try to see in the video, so I'll just drop them here in case someone finds them beneficial.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:22 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Jack can you please post the two text documents in PDF form. Please.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:17 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Sean,

I removed the pages of the second article, I can't even get full copies of it today, and I think that's because some of the other details in it were out of date. I used what I needed to tell the story.

But I'll post up some that I just found that I think are relative to what you might be trying to look at.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
LC-Equip.pdf (1.86 MB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf
Head surfacing.pdf (110.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-13-2019, 06:46 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Thank You.
Do you have a link back to were I can find the Ford prep sheet at the top?

Old 03-13-2019, 07:27 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
It was 3 to 5 years ago I grabbed an image of the doc, so no I don’t. I’d contact Mahle.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:54 PM
y2kc0wb0y
Freshman User
y2kc0wb0y is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did not read all 9 pages so forgive me if my question has been asked/answered. I watched the whole video and during the intro it appears you had industry contacts with FORD...if that is correct, I'm curious what their take on this is?

Old 03-14-2019, 02:19 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
Long retired. Like most companies within the auto arena, including my old company, there's the OE side and there's the aftermarket side. Not the same standards, methods or ethics.

The guys I kept touch with that I worked alongside can't believe this came from a Ford dealer.

Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Restlesswildman is a splendid one to beholdRestlesswildman is a splendid one to beholdRestlesswildman is a splendid one to beholdRestlesswildman is a splendid one to beholdRestlesswildman is a splendid one to beholdRestlesswildman is a splendid one to behold
I rebuilt engines for a few years some 25 yrs ago. I did everything but heads. We had an old man that could do anything faster then anyone...God rest his soul!

The crank issue is horrible! It may only be a few though over the length, but that shows sloppy setup! I ground cranks on an old grinder that was close to 50 years old. I never had variations like that! Either one of the chucks moved during the grinding or it was a Monday/Friday that the crank was ground! CNC crank grinding wasn't around when I did it!

The rod bearing issue.....that was a sloppy install of the bearing or it moved out of place as the piston/rod assembly was installed. No matter what the cause, an attentive assembler/ builder should have caught it.

BTW what were the cam bearing id's? What was the total clearance between the cam and bearings? Did you Recon the rods?

Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
I never touched the crank grinder earning my way through school, but afterward, I was the only R&D guy allowed in the union machine shop when I was in the composites industry. Lathes, like any machining, just take care and interest - its all the setup. In the forthcoming cam inspection video, it shows the same slope of the cam regrind as the crank. I don't remember being able to do both cranks and cams on the same machine, but no matter, it's all just poor, horrible work. The last two lobes base circle are something like 0.012-0.015" below all the others.

I pulled the lifter and others apart. In hindsight, the lifter wasn't the real issue, it didn't totally fail. It was the cam lobe base circle ground too much, and in combination with the 6.4 pushrods was the problem when letting the truck sit for extended times. And probably during engine/hot oil situations allowed for valve tap. But if not for that, I would not have found the other problems until probably an early total failure.

As I move through the videos I'll show all the measurements, even with the bad cam. But here's the table of the bearing and journal measurements of the old cam. New OE bearings went in. The numbers were outside the spec, and being OE shells, I don't think they were changed.

With the fractured connecting rods all you can do is replace them for the big end. Mic'd the big ends and they were in spec, and when I put new shells in they were in spec, so I left the rods, pistons, and rings in the block as is. There wasn't any goofy by feel or visual borescope issues at the small end, the bores all are good without scoring or top ridges. So I made the decision to leave them alone. I'm already so deep in the hole that new rings and de-glazing while would have been nice, its an expense I can't afford if I could avoid it.

Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM
coolfeet
Elder User
coolfeet is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Jack, this just a peanut gallery comment. I thought of learning how to rebuild an engine when I retire. But after following this thread, you really have to love doing what you are doing. It's time-consuming work. If you were paid an hourly market rate for your skillset, I think you could purchase an entirely new truck. I am not joking! As slow as I am at auto repair, I will be pushing 100 before I finish rebuilding my first engine. Good old dad has a Brigg & Stratton engine in his garage that needs rebuilding. One cylinder. I could knock that out in a weekend!

Keep this thread going. Beats watching Netflix reruns!

Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
You just have to be friggin nuts.

A lot of it is screwing around while waiting for the piggy bank to fill up. Even trying to flip this has turned into way more expensive than I thought. And then there are weeks delays so I calm down after a frustrating day. There has been nothing easy about this motor, Nothing.

Two weeks ago I ordered bearings, gaskets and new trans fluid tubes from Tasca. I know they won't have it in stock and will have to get it from the mother ship. Two days I get an email, main bearings on 6 weeks back order. OK, drop that off the list and credit. Order a set on eBay from a dealer next state over, have them in two days. They had 6 sets. Get the shipping notice for 8 boxes of connecting rod bearings, the trans lines (and you know they are from the trans to the canister filter) and two gaskets. Get the notice they are dropped at the front door. It's an 8"x6"x6" box, weighing 1lb, 2oz. Gaskets and 2 bearing kits. Tasca account shows a completed order.

Call Tasca, the guy says he sees what happened, but I only ordered 8 bearings, I'll need 16. Now I know they come 2 shells to a box, he agrees, but you pay for 2 to get that box. I go off about the cost and every representation of the box shows a pair. Aftermarket sells as a pair for one rod. Purchasing 16 would bring the price of connection rod bearing to over $300 for the motor, and I just bought the main bearing set for $60. He apologizes, says I'm right, he was thinking main bearings. Needs to send me 6 bearing kits. Two feet over I have the main bearing kit from the other dealer, which you can only buy as a full motor set. Saturday a 5-foot box shows up. It's been resealed. Open it and the trans lines are there and 5 bearing kits. I'll be calling tomorrow morning for one more box of bearing shells. And another week with a crankshaft floating in the air.

Everything AND I MEAN EVERYTHING with this motor has gone this way. Cams, cranks, getting the cam gear pressed on, gaskets. Putting the bottom end together and finding the crank discrepancy. Getting a questionable clearance with the cam. EVERYTHING. I almost punted again on Saturday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.