6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Stuck in tow haul mode (kinda)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 01:20 PM
the_old_ranger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox my truck is a single wheel crew cab 250 4x4 and I got 18 -20 last night on 500 mile trip. Average came out to be 18 as I got in some hills. I think I may have the same issue you have with the gears. From what I gather does your truck want to inadvertently downshift on a gradual but long hill.? But my question is does it do this intermittently? That is what mine was doing last night and it bugged the heck out if me. Then it starts cutting fuel and all this when it does not need to. As if it were in tow mode and the dumass better idea electronics thinks you are pulling a load. All this in drive with.no load and I had not even backed off the throtttle at all. I let the thing roll on out in rolling hills. Cruise was not set either I never use the cruise in hills. Anyway let me know if your . Truck has these symptoms cause I am gonna research this and see what I can find out. And by your mileage that is the kind of mileage the farmers around home get with their dually farm trucks lisded down with tools. Does not seem like good mileage IMHO. Larry

Old 02-13-2019, 08:01 PM
cangim
Postmaster
I wonder if you loaded a tune from say dptuner if it would correct itself. By description it sounds like e tow haul toggles on dash but trans strategy is consistent with tow haul all the time. Yes it should move to coast vs holding gears on decel

maybe ask them to overwrite the trans strategy, see if you can watch while this action is completed then go for second round of driving.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:54 AM
davew593
Junior User
Any chance your hubs are manually locked yet you are in 2H. With all the snow we've been getting I manually locked my hubs a while back and switched between 2H and 4H on the dash. Whenever I'm in 2H and the hubs are locked there is a noticeable "drag" when you let off the accelerator. The truck definitely doesn't coast like it would normally. I have no mechanical ability, nor do I pretend too. Just an observation good luck.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:23 PM
the_old_ranger
Senior User
Originally Posted by davew593
Any chance your hubs are manually locked yet you are in 2H. With all the snow we've been getting I manually locked my hubs a while back and switched between 2H and 4H on the dash. Whenever I'm in 2H and the hubs are locked there is a noticeable "drag" when you let off the accelerator. The truck definitely doesn't coast like it would normally. I have no mechanical ability, nor do I pretend too. Just an observation good luck.
Thanks Dave, and no I never lock them in manually. It is acting like it would in tow mode but is in ,2hi acts like tow mode.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:58 PM
Turbo_fox
Trailering
My hubs are not locked. Just did a 30 mile highway drive and it is so irritating. I can not maintain a constant speed unless my foot is in the gas. As soon as I let off rpms just slow me down. Killing the gas mileage. I’m bringing it back in this Tuesday so hopefully it can get figured out. The part that scares me is there is no obvious sign pointing to it like a check engine light or anything. I just feel the dealers sometimes if they can’t plug something in to see what the issue is they just say no there’s nothing wrong with it.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:35 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Looked through and may have missed it. Did you state already that if you get to speed, say 55, then click to N it will coast like normal?

Old 02-15-2019, 07:56 AM
Turbo_fox
Trailering
Didn’t try that but I definitely will. The rpms are hanging though like if I’m doing 75 and rpms are around 2000 or so and I let off the gas rpms stay right there and then the speed and rpms drop together

Old 02-15-2019, 11:10 AM
cangim
Postmaster
Yeah. All it will do is answer if it is a brake stuck or not. To me it sounds electronic like title indicates, stuck in tow haul or stuck with exhaust brake on.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:51 PM
jfritz_drfritz
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo_fox
i guess I suck at explaining this... put your truck in tow haul mode... drive it... transmission will lock when you let off gas and use that gear to slow you down rather then coasting. That’s how my truck feels all the time.

now get on a highway with tow haul mode on and cruise in say 6th gear (I have just been using that as an example this whole time it will happen in any gear) let off the gas (with tow haul mode on) the gear will slow you down, while the gear is slowing you down turn off tow haul and you will feel a dramatic change and rpms will drop and you will now coast rather then be slowed down by the gear.

My my truck is permanently being slowed down by the gears now coasting or rpm drop involved when letting off the gas
I don’t think you are going to get any resolution to your concern because I believe your truck is probably behaving normally at in so far as transmission function is concerned. Unless something has changed since 2011 (year of my truck), the torque converter does not “unlock” when you remove your foot from the accelerator under normal circumstances. If that was the case you would experience a “shift” sensation every time you depressed the accelerator again. The 6r140 is specifically designed to “lock” the converter early due to the more refined NVH characteristics of the 6.7 and to maximize fuel economy. Tow haul mode does not change the operation of the torque converter. It changes the shift points so that the truck remains more responsive under load (will stay in a lower gear longer before shifting) and also engages a shift strategy that cause the transmission to downshift when the brakes are applied. It also engages the exhaust brake. This may be why you are accustomed to more braking in tow haul mode but it is not a converter issue. So if you are cruising in 6th gear on the flat (cruise not engaged, exhaust brake not engaged) and you let off the accelerator there should be no difference between normal and tow haul.
So I am not saying something is not different about your truck but you may need to reconsider your assumptions about what could be causing the problem.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:23 PM
Turbo_fox
Trailering
The truck did not always act this way there is definitely something off. Getting 13.5 mpg on the highways unloaded is not normal people can say winter fuel or what ever they want that’s not normal. I have had a 7.3 a 6.0 and 2 6.7’s and I have never experienced what I’m experiencing. On every other truck I have used tow haul mode on if you are cruising in 6 gear with tow haul on and let off the gas the gear will slow you down and as soon as you turn off the tow haul mode there is a dramatic change in rpm and how the truck coasts. There is no change with my truck at all. It was not always like this. I did an 80 mile trip last year in February with winter fuel all highway and got 19 something mpg.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:59 PM
eddienelson
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
How fast are you driving to get 19 mpg on the highway?

Old 02-15-2019, 09:50 PM
SanDiego56
Junior User
19 mpg prolly 65 without any hills to climb.... I don’t know what’s wrong with your truck but I do understand what your describe...

Old 02-16-2019, 03:18 AM
the_old_ranger
Senior User
Fox, I understood you completely as my truck intermittently does the. Same thing but my truck will only do this on a hill descent. There is always a resolution and it is a definite problem. Sorry to say I don't have better advice. I am going to keep eorking on it as I can. My first thing I would do if you can is contact DP Tuner because tuning could fix this IMHO.Oh and does your truck evver defuel when this happens?

Old 02-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Turbo_fox
Trailering
I don’t think I ever had a defueling issue what would that feel like. I do t want to get involved with any type of tuning while the truck is under warranty. I still have a year and a half left and I may even extend it. These trucks are too expensive to fix

Old 02-16-2019, 05:51 PM
the_old_ranger
Senior User
Originally Posted by Turbo_fox
I don’t think I ever had a defueling issue what would that feel like. I do t want to get involved with any type of tuning while the truck is under warranty. I still have a year and a half left and I may even extend it. These trucks are too expensive to fix
My truck will de-fuel when it acts up like this and it only happens on a gradual hill descent without backing off the throttle. It just wants to act like the exhaust brake is applying or tow mode is kicking in. Then if you try to step back in the throttle it will not increase the fuel. It's not a bad problem very intermittent and only done it on me going to TX . My son said it had acted up on him like this several times pulling a load. I am not in very good shape physically right now I had some very bad injuries at my last job so I cannot do a lot of things I used to love like diagnostic work. Anyhow I will keep plugging away at it maybe I can come up with a solution. It would be nice if you had a good hand held scanner to monitor parameters while on the road and maybe catch something looking odd. Keep after them turds at the stealership just because they cannot duplicate does not mean they cannot keep at it until something is resolved. Ford dealers are sorry in my experience because Ford electronics are sorry and always have been. Exactly why I always worked at GM stealerships. Ford just recently learned how to make a decent electrical connector.
You could try the ownerford.com website maybe they could help, I hope... They have been worthless in my dealings with them. I have contacted them about 40 times about my SYNC that has never worked and they know nothing. All they know to do is a master reset or turn the key off open the door lock the door and then try it again. Real brains in there at the www.owner.ford.com website, and the website is just as bad as the help. Then when that does not work and never has well it is"You gotta take it to the dealer." I told them like hale I will! They know me quite well I am their worst caller and all they ever did was torque me off.

Quick Reply: Stuck in tow haul mode (kinda)