Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering the V10...what to look for

Old 02-18-2019, 10:40 AM
CousinJordo
Senior User
CousinJordo is starting off with a positive reputation.
2005+ with the 3V V10 is a must. Hands down.

I would even push you towards an 08+ if you can find it in your price range:
  1. Improved differential cover
  2. Improved trans pan
  3. New style single piece spark plugs. The 05-07 3V V10s dont spit them out like the older 2 valves, but they are two piece designs and tend to break when changing.
I absolutely love my 2005 V10, even though it's only been about 6 months in my possession. Regarding gearing, I have the 4:10 LS rear end and love the feel, loaded or unloaded. It meets my needs for hauling moderate loads of various stuff and toys around perfectly. Night and day difference in towing to the 2010 1/2 ton Z71 I had before. What a turd...

I average 10 mpg pretty much every tank with mixed driving. Mostly on rural roads 45-65 mph and a little in town stop/go. Throw in some towing at some point on most tanks. I only put 7-8k miles a year on my truck as it is not my DD commuter. I really don't care about the mileage, like you said.

Moral of the story: Buy a 3 Valve V10 and love it.

.....but I am super excited about the new 7.3L V8 gasser. Maybe in another decade, I'll be searching for one!

Old 02-18-2019, 07:15 PM
super 6.8
Posting Guru
super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by CousinJordo View Post
2005+ with the 3V V10 is a must. Hands down.

I would even push you towards an 08+ if you can find it in your price range:
  1. Improved differential cover
  2. Improved trans pan
  3. New style single piece spark plugs. The 05-07 3V V10s dont spit them out like the older 2 valves, but they are two piece designs and tend to break when changing.
I absolutely love my 2005 V10, even though it's only been about 6 months in my possession. Regarding gearing, I have the 4:10 LS rear end and love the feel, loaded or unloaded. It meets my needs for hauling moderate loads of various stuff and toys around perfectly. Night and day difference in towing to the 2010 1/2 ton Z71 I had before. What a turd...

I average 10 mpg pretty much every tank with mixed driving. Mostly on rural roads 45-65 mph and a little in town stop/go. Throw in some towing at some point on most tanks. I only put 7-8k miles a year on my truck as it is not my DD commuter. I really don't care about the mileage, like you said.

Moral of the story: Buy a 3 Valve V10 and love it.

.....but I am super excited about the new 7.3L V8 gasser. Maybe in another decade, I'll be searching for one!
I agree 100%. My 2007 has not been my DD for a few years now and only has 79k miles.

It seems like you go thru stages with a truck. When it was new it was incredible. After a few years it was still good but maybe the joy of ownership had faded some. Now, I have entered another phase. After about the 10 year mark I really started loving it again. The body and interior are flawless so I spent some time and effort doing other things like brakes, bumpers, shocks, etc....I have also spent many hours underneath on a creeper cleaning and repainting as rust is the only thing that will kill this truck. Miles at my rate surely won't.

Driving the truck is pure joy now. The 5 star V10 and 5 sp auto are the best powertrain I have ever used. Nothing against the 6.2 but I never felt like changing trucks....until I read about the 7.3. With the aluminum body and hopefully bullet proof drivetrain I will be ready by 2021 or so to get possibly my last truck (I am 53 and it won't be a DD).

Can't wait!

Long story short, if you have any choice at all get the 2005 and up V10. I really liked my 1999 but the 3V / 5sp combo is so much better.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:05 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
Thanks Coop.

All I have for the axle codes is this, but I'm not sure if these codes carried over to the post '05 generation of pickups.
31 — 3.73 non-limited slip, F-250/Excursion
C1 — 3.73 limited slip, F-250/Excursion
32 — 4.10 non-limited slip, F-250
C2 — 4.10 limited slip, F-250/Excursion
33 — 4.30 non-limited slip, F-250
C3 — 4.30 limited slip, F-250/Excursion
36 — 4.56 non-limited slip, F-250
C6 — 4.56 limited slip, F-250
41 — 3.73 non-limited slip, F-350 (single rear wheels)
D1 — 3.73 limited slip, F-350 (single rear wheels)
42 — 4.10 non-limited slip, F-350 (single rear wheels)
D2 — 4.10 limited slip, F-350 (single rear wheels)
43 — 4.30 non-limited slip, F-350 (single rear wheels)
D3 — 4.30 limited slip, F-350 (single rear wheels)
46 — 4.56 non-limited slip, F-350 (single rear wheels)
D6 — 4.56 limited slip, F-350 (single rear wheels)
61 — 3.73 non-limited slip, F-350 (dual rear wheels)
F1 — 3.73 limited slip, F-350 (dual rear wheels)
62 — 4.10 non-limited slip, F-350 (dual rear wheels)
F2 — 4.10 limited slip, F-350 (dual rear wheels)
63 — 4.30 non-limited slip, F-350 (dual rear wheels)
F3 — 4.30 limited slip, F-350 (dual rear wheels)
66 — 4.56 non-limited slip, F-350 (dual rear wheels)
F6 — 4.56 limited slip, F-350 (dual rear wheels)

As you have found, finding a solid 3V V-10 with a manual trans is not the easiest thing (unicorn). However the 5R110 is a very nice trans and seems to be very reliable, the pan and filter upgrades Coop mentioned are popular around here.
It's good to see that you understand the need to run the revs up on a V-10 as compared to your PSD, so many seem to struggle with that gasser transition reality feeling like they are torturing the motor, but its not torture at all, its just how these motors work. So obviously deeper gear ratios will get those revs up where the power lives quicker and keep them there while working hard. I'm assuming the 13.5K trailer is a fiver, that's a serious load and the high front on a fiver will also work against you. With all that in mind either look for the deepest gears you can find in a good truck or consider swapping in a set of deeper gears to maximize the towing performance. These motors work very well doing heavy towing with a 4.30 to 4.56 effective ratio, effective ratio is calculated using the actual gear ratio factoring in any tires that are taller (or shorter) than stock.
I've run and towed with my 2V V-10 4R100 EX with the factory 3.73s with stock 31.6" tires, 4.88 with 32" tires and 4.88s with 35" tires for an effective ratio of 4.39. Originally the load was a 9.5K TH and now we tow an 11.3K TT, a pretty good load and somewhat comparable (but a little less) to your fiver.
With the 3.73s and TH it used to get 6/7.5 MPG towing and 14-ish unloaded daily driving a 50/50 mix of city/highway with a best ever tank at 15.5 MPG. With the 4.88s and 32"s towing the same TH at the same weight and speed over the same route it got 9 MPG and the highway mileage unloaded dropped to 12.5 MPG, but it was like a hotrod around town! Now with the 4.88s, 35"s, Banks headers & Y pipe, 3030XL muffler and 5Star custom tunes (I tow with the 89 Octane Performance tune and 89 Octane gas) it drags the big TT all over the Eastern states and gets 8/9.5 MPG on our mostly highway trips, that drops down to 7/7.5 MPG on country roads through small town with some stop and go and unloaded at 65 MPH it gets 14.5 MPG. The changes have made it into a completely different and much better tow rig. It now serves as our dedicated tow rig and doesn't see any daily use with only the rare unloaded trip, I sometimes wish I had gone with 5.13 gears.............. Don't fear the gear! Especially if this is going to more tow rig than daily driver!
I know most V-10 EXs came with the 3.73s and I assume most of the trucks did too, so it may be better to focus on picking a truck that meets all of your other wants and plan to upgrade the gears.
Tom, thanks so much for the good bit of knowledge. i will definitely be looking for a 4.10, or a 4.56 if I can. i f not, I will put it on the list of must haves for upgrades or "mods". You also gave me a little hope in that the trans won't be an issue liek I am afraid it would be. My last auto was an E4OD, and even though a very well known builder "built it" to the tune of $5k, it SUCKED! It left me stranded a few times when it was supposed to be able to take some towing abuse. Yes, I drove it right....didn't matter.

I know everyone is saying to get a 3v and I do not disagree, but I also have a budget and may have to settle for an '02-'04. I'll just have to see what happens. There is a lot out there. Too bad I can't use an Ex because that would increase my choices.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:04 PM
johnfist
Senior User
johnfist is starting off with a positive reputation.
Out of curiosity, why do you dislike the 3V?

Old 02-19-2019, 12:11 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by johnfist View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you dislike the 3V?
I don't. How did you get that? It's about affordability and budget. I know the 3V is the way to go.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:17 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Yeah, my dream rig would be an EX with the 3V V-10 and 5R110 trans, unfortunately that beast has never existed. With the 2V 6.8 you will have the same 4R100 that I have. You will find plenty of Internet doom and gloom on these transmissions, but I really think that is unjustified, yes they, like everything else has its limits and a seriously hopped up 7.3 could surely developed the kinds of HP and TQ to find those limits force a failure, but is that really the transmissions fault? With over 37K heavy towing miles I have only seen the trans temp over 205* once while climbing a mountain in VT from a stop, it cooled right back down once we crested the summit and that was with the factory trans cooler, now with the 6.0 cooler upgrade it hasn't gotten near 200* and Mark K says that they are safe up to 240* for short periods. If you do get a 2V auto that 6.0 cooler upgrade is a very good idea for a tow rig, bolts right in place of the stock cooler. And if you are able to fit a 3VV-10 5R110 into the budget, that trans is pretty much universally considered better than the 4R100 in every way.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:17 PM
johnfist
Senior User
johnfist is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
I don't. How did you get that? It's about affordability and budget. I know the 3V is the way to go.
My mistake, misunderstood.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:28 PM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Tom, thanks so much for the good bit of knowledge. i will definitely be looking for a 4.10, or a 4.56 if I can. i f not, I will put it on the list of must haves for upgrades or "mods". You also gave me a little hope in that the trans won't be an issue liek I am afraid it would be. My last auto was an E4OD, and even though a very well known builder "built it" to the tune of $5k, it SUCKED! It left me stranded a few times when it was supposed to be able to take some towing abuse. Yes, I drove it right....didn't matter.

I know everyone is saying to get a 3v and I do not disagree, but I also have a budget and may have to settle for an '02-'04. I'll just have to see what happens. There is a lot out there. Too bad I can't use an Ex because that would increase my choices.
4.30 is another option on Tom's list, they did come factory. Three gear ratios to choose from should help locating a nice truck.

The 4R100 is essentially a upgraded version of the E40D, V10's do come with a slightly larger cooler than 7.3 trucks but smaller than a 6.0 .

Old 03-09-2019, 11:20 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
Still keeping this thread alive as I get more interest in my 7.3.....as soon as it sells, it's on!! LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.