Shopping for 2wd lift, have questions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Reload this Page >

Shopping for 2wd lift, have questions

Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 02-09-2019, 09:19 PM
charles adams
Junior User
charles adams is starting off with a positive reputation.

I have an 2003 Excursion with the 6.8L. I'm looking for a mild lift, no more than 5". I've looked online and haven't found much for the 2wd market. I dont plan on putting bigger tires. Any help/links would be appreciated.

Last edited by charles adams; 02-09-2019 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Change title
Old 02-09-2019, 10:02 PM
strogg
New User
strogg is starting off with a positive reputation.
When it comes to RWD, you really only have two options: Procomp and Fabtech. I recommend the latter. I also suggest getting their 6" version. It may sound like a lot, but all it does is bring your running board just above the center of your the wheel hubs. It'll be a couple inches higher than the 4WD x. If you don't like that, the 4" one will get you to the stock height of the 4WD. Either way, be sure to take measurements of the front/rear before getting the kit. Mine had a slightly sagging rear end. I had to get larger blocks for the rear on mine so I don't stare at the sky when I drive.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:38 PM
charles adams
Junior User
Is there a place where the stock measurements are listed so I could check that I have no rear droop? Or should the front and rear frame rail heights be the same?

Old 02-09-2019, 10:58 PM
strogg
New User
Bone stock, the front should be lower by a couple inches than the rear. It's a front rake thing. What lift kits for all trucks typically do is remove the front rake and make the truck level. If the truck is already level at stock height, it'll just make the truck look like it's about to take off. Search for 2WD Excursion lift kit and look at some pictures. You'll see what I mean.

There are a couple ways to measure the height difference. If your truck chassis is true, you can just measure the running board height at the front, then again at the rear. One should be nearly 2 inches greater than the other. Another way to do it (the way forum members here tend to do it) is by measuring the ground to fender well height at the front and rear. You can compare those numbers to an existing thread to see where you sit.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:18 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Actually, the way we recommend suspension meaning is to go from the center of the hub up to the top of the wheelwell arch opening, that method removes any variances from tire's or inflation, take the measurements while parked on a flat level surface.
This thread is loaded with all measurements from both stock and modified EXs, both RWD and 4X4. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...easurents.html

And 5" of lift with stock tire size will have those 265/75s looking pretty tiny.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 PM
charles adams
Junior User
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
Actually, the way we recommend suspension meaning is to go from the center of the hub up to the top of the wheelwell arch opening, that method removes any variances from tire's or inflation, take the measurements while parked on a flat level surface.
This thread is loaded with all measurements from both stock and modified EXs, both RWD and 4X4. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...easurents.html

And 5" of lift with stock tire size will have those 265/75s looking pretty tiny.
Thank you for the link. I am still learning how to search and navigate the forum. Is 5" the minimum? My goal is to bring her up a bit and make her look a little less "burdened"

Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 PM
strogg
New User

Whoops. What was I thinking when I wrote that.... Yes, I meant center of hub to top of fender well

Old 02-11-2019, 05:28 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by charles adams View Post
Thank you for the link. I am still learning how to search and navigate the forum. Is 5" the minimum? My goal is to bring her up a bit and make her look a little less "burdened"
Charles, Have you explored the Tech Folder up in the "Read First" section at the very top of the EXcursion page yet? There are tons of valuable links located there for almost everything you could think of having to with your new wagon. Stewart has done an Excellent job compiling the Tech Folder here.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:49 AM
unleashd
Posting Guru
unleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud of
Charles, Have you explored the Tech Folder up in the "Read First" section at the very top of the EXcursion page yet? There are tons of valuable links located there for almost everything you could think of having to with your new wagon. Stewart has done an Excellent job compiling the Tech Folder here.
Tom, Chrales et al, Here's the location of the Tech Folder. Please feel free to spread the word!! You can use this link to post anywhere. I'll just keep this screen shot hosted for ever

Old 02-11-2019, 07:18 AM
Pirublues
Junior User
Pirublues is starting off with a positive reputation.
I love the tech folder in this forum section, full of valuable information without searching. But, us folks with rwd trucks have to do a bit more to find suspension information for our rigs.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.