91 e4od transmission pops into neutral at 27 mph - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

91 e4od transmission pops into neutral at 27 mph

Old 02-08-2019, 11:44 PM
Ben Clayton
New User
Ben Clayton is starting off with a positive reputation.
91 e4od transmission pops into neutral at 27 mph

I just rebuilt transmission myself and got it going . It shifts great no slipping and very tight. Once it hits 3rd it drops out at 27 mph doesn't matter if i mash pedal or baby it 27mph is magic number .
background information is i switched a 91 302 out and put in a 96 351 which i converted to carb. I cut 56 of 60 wires in computer and only left tach, oil pressure, voltage . It ran ok I knew I wouldn't have 4th gear or Overdrive but I did it anyway because I was sick of the old style 302 which kept giving me major problems. I swapped motor to a 351 with only 60000 mile and it was taken care of very well. it runs amazing with lots more power. It shifted fine when it was first swapped, it didn't shift as well as it should but it did okay. it's hard a fuel truck for summer and we don't use it that much so it wasn't that big of a deal. I know they make Standalone controllers and I looked into it and it's about eight to $900 and just wasn't that big of a deal that we needed to look into it but now it won't even stay in gear past 27 miles an hour in 3rd only and I'm struggling to figure out if we did something wrong and the rebuild which I don't think because it doesn't slip or if it's some other sensor because I think it is still using the wheel sensor and that MLPs sensor and tach . The computer is still in truck and even without a tps sensor it shifted ok. I am looking for any kind of input

Old 02-09-2019, 05:13 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
A failing range sensor/MLPS can make the trans seem to slip into neutral. I'm not sure how you expect the trans to work without a TPS though? Why in the word would you ever go backwards from FI to a carb? Are you insane! Major downgrade there,as much as I like the old school stuff for nostalgia.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:59 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Without the other sensors, such as the TPS, the trans doesn't have a clue as to how much torque is coming in the input shaft, so it can't set the proper pressure to hold the clutches. I think you've wiped out the direct clutch since you didn't have enough pressure to hold the clutch. When it tries to engage the direct it isn't there and you get neutral.

Next time you rebuild the transmission use ALL of the sensors. None of them were there for the fun of it. They were there because the control system needs them to make the trans shift and live.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:28 AM
Ben Clayton
New User
I changed mlps

I changed mlps but I am going to take it out and ohm it to make sure it's within spec. Why it worked before without a tps I'm not sure but it gave me 3rd. These trucks are very specific to each year and wiring harnesses and computer and I was sick and tired if obd1. A good intake manifold and carb will make plenty of power and no more electrical problems. No I'm not insane the old school stuff is more dependable around the farm and much cheaper to maintain.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:06 AM
HardScrabble
Posting Guru
HardScrabble has a good reputation on FTE.HardScrabble has a good reputation on FTE.
Go old school, get a C6.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:44 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Ben Clayton View Post
I changed mlps but I am going to take it out and ohm it to make sure it's within spec.
Check the tire pressures, too. Those are also not the problem.

Why it worked before without a tps I'm not sure but it gave me 3rd.
It worked until the damage caused from not having all the sensors caused the direct clutch to fail.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:08 PM
Ben Clayton
New User
Direct clutch did not fail

It was a mlps sensor new from parts store. Now it won't start in park; and yes I aligned it to neutral and put it in right . Its only has 1 mile on transmission and it will hold fine in third until 27 mph. The sensor would most certainly cause this. It ran fine before for 5 years and it was missing two reverse clutches and 1 clutch in second. This is a tight transmission and not our first by a long shot . It was the cheapest mlps sensor they had and i would be 4 days to order a good one from all our snow lately . I just ordered a bwd but tempted to order a Ford one. Yes a c6 might be good idea . I like my 78 fords better.
​​​​

Old 02-09-2019, 02:27 PM
Ben Clayton
New User
Original mlps

Original mlps went bad when we turned tranny over and it hit block and broke in half putting back in .

Old 02-09-2019, 08:24 PM
Ben Clayton
New User
Mark

The tire pressure comment was over the top . Iv done 7.3 IDI to powerstroke swaps , 3 78 Ford restorations , two 7.3 powerstroke motor pulls, 302 to 351 conversion and a old school dual weber carb heated intake and total frame up. This is all done in winter during the slower season last 3 years. I don't appreciate being made fun of. I may botnbe an engineer but I was right on the mlps sensor and I will soon buy a stand alone us shift kit to get rid of rest of the problems . This is last time i ever post in here as I will figure it out myself.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:28 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
Whether or not a person is being kind or sarcastic to you online, I'm afraid it's not going to change the fact that you need a TPS in order to have an electronic trans shift.Have you thought about just putting a C6 in there since it's just a truck used around the farm?That might be more what your after.Old school simplicity.Just operates on vacuum rather than electronic controlled.Good,basic,reliable setup for a farm truck with a carb engine.That's the way Id go for her.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Ben Clayton
New User
C6

Is the length the same and frame bolt pattern same to where it just bolts up?

Old 02-10-2019, 09:17 AM
Scndsin
Du Nawt Seek The Treasure
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Check the tire pressures, too. Those are also not the problem...

.... the old school stuff is more dependable around the farm and much cheaper to maintain.
Yep. Every week there's some (new) poor sod who's trying to figure out why the cheap/free/hacked-up/abused farm truck they now have was screwed like a fine thread bolt in a coarse hole.

...This is last time i ever post in here as I will figure it out myself.
Shame you didn't figure out you needed a TPS.

Oh, & screen door & all that.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:41 AM
Ben Clayton
New User
Angry

I would expect this from Chevy people all day long . Im deleting my account.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:48 AM
Scndsin
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
It take a certain amount of skin thickness in this forum (and life) to get by when one leaves themselves open by telling all who listen they know better about what they are asking about.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:23 AM
Scndsin
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Without the other sensors, such as the TPS, the trans doesn't have a clue as to how much torque is coming in the input shaft, so it can't set the proper pressure to hold the clutches...
Since the subject came up, what does the EEC need to see to run the trans?

I know there are aftermarket TPS sensors that retrofit to carbs. (probably GM style only)

It needs the trans temp, VSS, MLPS, so what about a tach signal?

Thought I ran across a post years ago where someone ran dual ECUs for a MAF & trans, but might have been just an idea rather than actually put into practice.

Could you expound?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.