2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Flickering LED’s wired to upfitter

Old 02-08-2019, 07:15 PM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Flickering LED’s wired to upfitter

My rear LED lights are wired to upfitter #6 in the always hot position. They work without problem when the engine is not running but flicker a lot when the engine is running. When I first installed them I did not have this problem. I have to admit that I have yet to check my connections. Even though I’m fanatical with my wiring and crimping, I’m sure it’s possible something came loose but I have jiggled the wiring with no ill affect while the engine is off. It reminds me of the same problem folks are having when they switch halogen headlight bulbs to LED. Any ideas why?

Old 02-08-2019, 07:47 PM
PentaPop
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Induction from something near the wiring? Just guessing. You’re not by chance looking at them thru your rear view camera are you? I noticed that LED’s appear to flicker rapidly when viewed on my Sync 3 screen.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:51 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ground needs to be checked, and yes, check all connections.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:11 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,620 Likes on 2,729 Posts
Originally Posted by CO Wapiti
Any ideas why?
Disco Mode?

In the past, when lights flicker it could be an indication that the alternator isn't working properly. Since they work OK without the engine running it's plausible.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:15 PM
Richard Saenz
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
More than likely not a solid ground connection.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:22 PM
Imadentguy
Elder User
My rear LED lights are wired to upfitter #6 in the always hot position. They work without problem when the engine is not running but flicker a lot when the engine is running. When I first installed them I did not have this problem. I have to admit that I have yet to check my connections. Even though I’m fanatical with my wiring and crimping, I’m sure it’s possible something came loose but I have jiggled the wiring with no ill affect while the engine is off. It reminds me of the same problem folks are having when they switch halogen headlight bulbs to LED. Any ideas why?
pulse width modulation, often referred to as PWM. The electrical current runs through your vehicle like this : - - - - - - instead of one continuous current like this : _______ the led’s flash with the pulse. You do not see it with incandescent bulbs due to the nature of their design. You are going to have to run resistors on the circuit. Google PWM circuit and do a little reading if you want to know why manufacturers have switched to this. Some leds work fine when new, but develop the flicker issue after running them for a bit. Some leds flicker right out of the gate. A resistor should fix it.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:32 PM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Thanks for jogging my memory! It was at the dealer a few months back and while I was checking on the truck I noticed that they did indeed have some of my ground wires disconnected to get to something under the hood. I’ll put money on it that they were not reconnected properly. I’ll check it out in the morning. Thank you

Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 AM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Imadentguy
Some leds work fine when new, but develop the flicker issue after running them for a bit. Some leds flicker right out of the gate. A resistor should fix it.
Had the same problem on another truck, replaced the fixture with another brand (and more expensive) LED. Problem went away without using a resistor.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:42 AM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Originally Posted by Imadentguy

pulse width modulation, often referred to as PWM. The electrical current runs through your vehicle like this : - - - - - - instead of one continuous current like this : _______ the led’s flash with the pulse. You do not see it with incandescent bulbs due to the nature of their design. You are going to have to run resistors on the circuit. Google PWM circuit and do a little reading if you want to know why manufacturers have switched to this. Some leds work fine when new, but develop the flicker issue after running them for a bit. Some leds flicker right out of the gate. A resistor should fix it.
I checked the ground and all other connections. Everything is solid and these are quality Rigid brand lights. Would PWM occure only when the engine is running? If it's PWM, what kind of resistor would I want to tie in and where. I've never tied a resistor into my wiring before so this is completely foreign to me. I appreciate your feedback and learning something new.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:53 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe give Rigid a call...they might have run into this problem before. I'm not sure how a DC system based off of a battery would be sending a PWM style line voltage out. I used to have a generic 30" LED light bar connected to an upfitter switch and it didn't flicker.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:55 AM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you may be losing voltage somewhere if you ask me. Do you have a voltmeter to check what you are getting at the lights? When the truck is off, nothing else is drawing juice... when it is on everything is. Before I started changing things up I would check voltage. Also, what type of wiring harness are you using? Correct gauge?

Old 02-12-2019, 11:00 AM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Also what rigid lights are you using?

Old 02-12-2019, 11:35 AM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
Maybe give Rigid a call...they might have run into this problem before. I'm not sure how a DC system based off of a battery would be sending a PWM style line voltage out. I used to have a generic 30" LED light bar connected to an upfitter switch and it didn't flicker.
Your right. I went back and read the original post. I read flickering led’s and somehow missed the part about being wired through upfitters. Im a dumb ****

Old 02-12-2019, 11:35 AM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Originally Posted by LaxPlaya21
Also what rigid lights are you using?
They are the sr series. Nothing fancy because they are just backup lights. I'm used at least 14 gauge and the run can't be more than 18 feet. These lights would only draw less than 4 amps between the two of them. I will check the voltage at the Rigid factory connector with the engine off, while at idle and at around 2500 rpm. to see if I am dropping to much voltage. What voltage do you think I need at a minimum so these lights don't flicker? One flickers all of the time and the other is intermittent.
I would like to think the dual alternator setup is pumping out enough voltage when the engine is running but come to think of it I've been using these lights in the morning at idle when the electric heater assist is running and that uses a ton of juice.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:47 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
They are the sr series. Nothing fancy because they are just backup lights. I'm used at least 14 gauge and the run can't be more than 18 feet. These lights would only draw less than 4 amps between the two of them. I will check the voltage at the Rigid factory connector with the engine off, while at idle and at around 2500 rpm. to see if I am dropping to much voltage. What voltage do you think I need at a minimum so these lights don't flicker? One flickers all of the time and the other is intermittent.
I would like to think the dual alternator setup is pumping out enough voltage when the engine is running but come to think of it I've been using these lights in the morning at idle when the electric heater assist is running and that uses a ton of juice.
The lights should run fine on anything from 11.5vdc-14.5vdc. How did you wire them? Both positives of lights hooked to power wire and both negatives hooked to the ground? The one flickering all the time vs the other being intermittent makes me wonder. Do you have any other lights that you could hook up as a test? When I googled rigid and flicking lights, it seems to be pretty common. Could be internal grounds on the lights as well. I would also try disconnecting a light and hooking it up directly to the battery. If the light works fine with the truck on or off then at least you eliminated the light as a potential source of the problem. Then you know it's either something in your wiring, or the relay of the upfitter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flickering LED’s wired to upfitter