Exhaust Manifold Paint - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Exhaust Manifold Paint

Old 02-08-2019, 03:48 PM
Raymond
Senior User
Raymond is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exhaust Manifold Paint

I'm getting ready to replace the manifolds on my 04 F350. I replaced them 3 years ago with Dorman ones, and now they look like they have been on there for way more than 3 years and just a matter of time before I have an issue with them. I plan on replacing them with genuine Ford manifolds. Is there a recommended paint or coating for exhaust manifolds that won't make them look like rust buckets in just a few short years, and extend there life?

Old 02-09-2019, 02:17 PM
mattymax
Elder User
mattymax is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was wondering the same thing. I have a complete set of Manifold, Studs, Nuts and gaskets on my passenger seat waiting to go in this week.

2008 F-350 5.4. Second time these manifold are being done with FORD parts. Hopefully the FORD SS STUD change, changes the game.

matt

Old 02-12-2019, 09:03 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
Have them ceramic coated, or go with stainless headers.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:50 AM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by z31freakify View Post
Have them ceramic coated, or go with stainless headers.
Ceramic is better because SS will turn shades of blue near the head.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:29 PM
mattymax
Elder User
I decided to get the POR 15 manifold paint. Two coats before I have them installed.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:43 AM
Raymond
Senior User
Looking at the ceramic coating it will cost around $200. Not sure about some of the DIY paints as they are heat cured by running the engine. Has anyone had lasting success with the DIY paints?

Old 02-21-2019, 08:41 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Looking at the ceramic coating it will cost around $200. Not sure about some of the DIY paints as they are heat cured by running the engine. Has anyone had lasting success with the DIY paints?
It wont last, once moister of water get to them paint just flakes of.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Raymond
Senior User
Well after getting quotes for having a ceramic coating done and the fact I don't want to pay those prices I've decided to try DIY with Cerakote high temp ceramic coating. From looking around the web its the only air cure coating that I found, which will make it easier than having to run the engine for up to an hour to cure most other products. Just waiting on the free color samples to decide which color to go with.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:41 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
Bake rhem in an oven for a couple of hours before installing, or the paint will get scratched when trying to muscle them in.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:17 PM
mattymax
Elder User
I with with the POR 15 high temp manifold paint in manifold grey. A lot of great reviews and I love por 15 products. I prepped both manifold with their prep process and did 3 Coats of the coating.

Ill keep posted on how they hold up after their installed

Old 03-04-2019, 04:43 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Also a big fan of POR-15 stuff---its pretty amazing IMHO. It'll be interesting seeing how that finish holds up over time.

Thanks for the update!

Old 03-06-2019, 09:09 AM
the_hetz
Senior User
the_hetz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by z31freakify View Post
Bake rhem in an oven for a couple of hours before installing, or the paint will get scratched when trying to muscle them in.
​​​​​​​NOT IN THE HOUSE!

Old 03-06-2019, 10:41 AM
mattymax
Elder User
Originally Posted by the_hetz View Post
NOT IN THE HOUSE!
I have nowhere to do that
​​​​​​​

Old 03-07-2019, 09:03 AM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mattymax View Post
I have nowhere to do that​​​​​​
Go to your local high school's art department and see if they have a kiln. You might have to bring a few art supplies as a bribe.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:58 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
Go to your local high school's art department and see if they have a kiln. You might have to bring a few art supplies as a bribe.
The pass around package of Twizzer's might do the same trick?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.