Preserve Patina or Restore? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Preserve Patina or Restore?

Old 02-08-2019, 12:41 PM
Mark8man
New User
Mark8man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Preserve Patina or Restore?

I am considering purchasing this western truck. Its pretty much all original without rust through. If you owned this truck, would you attempt to preserve the patina and drive it, or strip it down and restore? There seems to be a growing trend to not cosmetically restore old vehicles like this hence why I am asking.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:56 PM
meangreen92
Postmaster
meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Mark8man View Post
There seems to be a growing trend to not cosmetically restore old vehicles like this hence why I am asking.
Those little replacement window washer jets with LEDs were a trend once too, as were net tailgates and Oakley decals acrossed the top of the windshield.
The only patina I like seeing on these trucks is inside the bed. I vote for fresh paint. That looks like a really nice truck. I would want it with the turbine wheels seen on the driver side, rather than the modern-ish alloys seen on the passenger side.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:28 AM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Dave145 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Paint it. That's not "patina" you're looking at. It's mismatched panels and nature's ugly handy work. Paint jobs can be had cheap and make the truck look nice instead of looking like a beat up farm truck.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:31 AM
caravaggio2000
Senior User
caravaggio2000 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That truck has a behind the seat tank and a rear tank? Interesting.

I'm in a similar situation. Everywhere I go people tell me how much they like my truck, with the patina. I do have a couple of small spots of rust that need repaired. My plan, and what I'd say you should do, is to fix everything else on the truck and then figure out if I really want to paint it.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:45 AM
Pickupmanx2
Postmaster
Pickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to behold
I'm a patina fan myself, I've had some where I had them painted and looking sweet, and always worried about the paint, when I bought my latest 66 F100 "Shrek", I made him mechanically sound, scrubbed the body with the green scotch-brite pads and love it. I get more compliments on him than I did my 66 F250 that was white n shiny new paint, if the paint is good, I do have some I buffed the crap out of and keep them shiny too

Old 02-11-2019, 10:40 AM
Mark8man
New User
Thanks all for the replies.
Posts 4 and 5 yea that's one reason I am even considering it. I was at a car cruise last summer with around 400 vehicles of all types. Most were stunning condition either originals or restored with some rare models. My stuff has always been finely restored so that's what I'm used to and its hard for me to adjust the other direction. A guy and his girl pull in together one driving a mid 70s F100 and the other driving a late 60s Chevy C10. Both had very similar rough faded rusty patina look going. There were spectators crowded around them all evening clearly a crowd favorite. Strange phenomenon. I guess maybe because they were a drastic departure from the masses we see all the time that folks were excited to see something different. When you think about it, anyone can restore/repaint but once its restored, what took nature 40-50 years to create can never be put back. Still thinking...

Old 02-11-2019, 01:26 PM
pollila1
New User
pollila1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
totally depends on the "patina" of the vehicle. That red one is iffy in my opinion.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:23 PM
somethingclever
Posting Guru
somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.
I would do what made me happy and not what makes others happy.

Unless I was going to just flip it....i would do whatever gets the most money in my pocket.

Most people aren't willing to pay for nice paint jobs on these trucks it seems.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:57 PM
dogdays
Senior User
dogdays is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well you have at least three choices:
1. Leave it furry
2. Wax it within an inch of its life
3. Paint it.

Here's what I think, and I am contemplating directions on a '64 and a '77 of my own, is #2. #2 says you mean it to look like that. It's a survivor. #1 means you just don't give a $%^! and it's just an old truck eyesore. #3 means you have $5,000 burning a hole in your pocket.

Now after you use Idea #2 for a while, you can always do Idea #3. And that truck looks just great in shiny red paint. Wheels do have to be chrome or polished aluminum, not black. Any way you slice it, #3 is a really good option. What I'd NOT do is leave it furry. That means you have no pride in your old Ford.

R.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:40 PM
meangreen92
Postmaster
meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I wonder if in 30 years or so, folks will be trying to preserve the look of peeling clearcoat and fading basecoat. That would be analogous to preserving worn away single-stage paint patina, although single-stage paint patina is cooler than peeling clearcoat.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:33 AM
caravaggio2000
Senior User
caravaggio2000 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I see this a lot with higher end vehicles like Porsches and Ferraris. Remember a true preservation would be a lot more than the paint, it would mean everything on the truck would be parts it would have had rolling off the factory floor. The only wiggle room on this I've seen are safety things like brakes, etc.

So, if you were to truly go for preservation, you'd have to put things like your wheels, radio, wiper style, points, exhaust, etc. back to stock.

You might just keep the patina because you like it too, but that alone won't make it of any more interest to a preservation collector.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:40 PM
Mark8man
New User
Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
I would do what made me happy and not what makes others happy.
Unless I was going to just flip it....i would do whatever gets the most money in my pocket.
Most people aren't willing to pay for nice paint jobs on these trucks it seems.
Agree I'm not one to invest more than its market worth and I also agree have to be careful as investing in a higher quality paint job isn't always a good return on investment. Bodywork and paint is least desirable for me as I have done enough in past but this truck is interesting because nothing has been covered up/hidden under a repaint. No surprises when its stripped.

Originally Posted by dogdays View Post
Well you have at least three choices:
1. Leave it furry
2. Wax it within an inch of its life
3. Paint it.
Here's what I think, and I am contemplating directions on a '64 and a '77 of my own, is #2. #2 says you mean it to look like that. It's a survivor. #1 means you just don't give a $%^! and it's just an old truck eyesore. #3 means you have $5,000 burning a hole in your pocket.
Now after you use Idea #2 for a while, you can always do Idea #3. And that truck looks just great in shiny red paint. Wheels do have to be chrome or polished aluminum, not black. Any way you slice it, #3 is a really good option. What I'd NOT do is leave it furry. That means you have no pride in your old Ford.R.
All good points here. Doing some type of preservation would be a must because I plan to use it though not as a daily driver or anywhere near winters salty roads. So yea I could try it out then a couple years down the road re-evaluate desire a repaint. I'd have already pulled the trigger on this truck but its priced at the high end for me and apparently others as well hence why it is still available.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:52 PM
dogdays
Senior User
dogdays is starting off with a positive reputation.
Consider the cost and hassle of buying one 500 to 1000 miles away and the price may not seem so steep.

Years ago my friend wanted a '35 truck. There was one in his neighborhood, clean and complete, for $2500. I advised him to snap it up, but no, he had to worry about every little thing. He ended up buying a farm beater for $875 and had to tow 850 miles. It was a POS. It's still sitting beside his utility building 15 years or so later, still a POS. Moral of the story, start with something nice, even if you have to pay more.
R.
PS: To my credit, I have never told him "I told you so!"

Old 02-12-2019, 03:10 PM
Mark8man
New User
Originally Posted by dogdays View Post
Consider the cost and hassle of buying one 500 to 1000 miles away and the price may not seem so steep.
Years ago my friend wanted a '35 truck. There was one in his neighborhood, clean and complete, for $2500. I advised him to snap it up, but no, he had to worry about every little thing. He ended up buying a farm beater for $875 and had to tow 850 miles. It was a POS. It's still sitting beside his utility building 15 years or so later, still a POS. Moral of the story, start with something nice, even if you have to pay more.
R.PS: To my credit, I have never told him "I told you so!"
I know what you mean. I have a line in my signature on another car forum I am on. "Buy Once, Cry Once, the quality remains long after the price is forgotten"

Old 02-12-2019, 03:40 PM
fordguy76
Posting Guru
fordguy76 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Linseed oil will shine it up and help prevent rust. It will weather off eventually and needs re-oiled occasionally. But it's less temporary than clear coating over the patina. I like original paint even when worn. Depends on your taste and use for the truck. I personally would be afraid to really use a truck with fresh paint.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.