6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2003 Excursion Crank No Start...everything seems to check out fine

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 05:48 AM
cshaak
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by navistarnut
Just an observation, but this started after you returned it to stock, correct?
Is the PCM wigging out for some reason after it was returned to stock?

Perhaps you could swap the PCM from your 05?
I thought this as well. I had no idea it would not start after or I would have never done that. Only reason I did was it seemed like the intermittent rough idle happened less with the stock tune(not sure if it actually was or not). Was just trying it to see if it smoothed out. I since have tried it tuned and stock. It says it’s programming both fine. I checked the plugs and did swap the PCM but then I had the theft light flashing fast on the dash because I’m guessing the 05 f250 PCM doesn’t have the PATS code stored to start the excursion. I’ll try swapping again, how can I keep the PATS from getting in the way?

Old 02-10-2019, 05:58 AM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
Hmmm...I was going to suggest the PATS reprogramming sequence, but that requires two keys that already work, so...I’m no help with that one.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:54 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Injector BUZZ Test and post results.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:19 PM
cshaak
Junior User
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
Injector BUZZ Test and post results.

Injector buzz test passes

Old 02-11-2019, 07:26 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by cshaak

Injector buzz test passes
.... which only tells you the electrical end of the injectors pass, but doesn't rule out mechanically failed/faulty injector (s).

Old 02-12-2019, 09:54 AM
cshaak
Junior User
I let the truck get cold and tried to start...it coughed and kinda ran with the starter helping. So I repeated the HPOP air test with 140psi in the IPR hole. This time I can hear slowly leaking from the oil filter housing and in both valve cover. Does this point to just the HPOP or also dummy plugs, STC fitting and/or O rings? It has had the HPOP replaced before but not sure if anything els in the HPO system has been upgraded. HOW AND WHY AM I GETTING ALMOST 2000psi OF OIL PRESURE???

Old 02-12-2019, 10:20 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,722 Posts
The 03 does not have the failure prone HPOP STC fitting. Doesn't have dummy plugs either.

IMO you have enough ICP pressure to start, but your ICP and IPR data still looks like you have an issue w/ a leak and/or a weakening HPOP.

I still think your biggest issue might just be injectors.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:23 AM
cshaak
Junior User
Originally Posted by bismic
The 03 does not have the failure prone HPOP STC fitting. Doesn't have dummy plugs either.

IMO you have enough ICP pressure to start, but your ICP and IPR data still looks like you have an issue w/ a leak and/or a weakening HPOP.

I still think your biggest issue might just be injectors.
Shouldnt I not have heard leaks during the air test?

Old 02-12-2019, 10:29 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
You should not hear any leaks. What I was saying is that your ICP data looks like you have a leak (or a weak HPOP), so it doesn't surprise me that you hear some leakage. THAT SAID, 1200 psig in the ICP should be enough for it to start ..... unless you have other issues also.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:31 AM
cshaak
Junior User
You should not hear any leaks. What I was saying is that your ICP data looks like you have a leak (or a weak HPOP), so it doesn't surprise me that you hear some leakage. THAT SAID, 1200 psig in the ICP should be enough for it to start ..... unless you have other issues also.
Ok thanks. I agree, just getting really frustrated here. Hoping to find a solution.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:40 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
The air leakage sounds from the valve covers could be from injector top o-rings. Even though leaks from the early model year oil rails aren't very common at all, they have happened. I wouldn't expect that that was an issue with your engine, but you never know. You really should do the air test w/ the valve covers off.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:50 PM
cshaak
Junior User
Eliminate these codes from the equation?

The air leakage sounds from the valve covers could be from injector top o-rings. Even though leaks from the early model year oil rails aren't very common at all, they have happened. I wouldn't expect that that was an issue with your engine, but you never know. You really should do the air test w/ the valve covers off.
Pulling the valve covers will be my next step. I checked it again with air and it is not coming out of the oil filter housing so I can eliminate the pump. First though does anyone know how I can eliminate these codes?? B2103 PATS transceiver circuit Fault, B1483 Brake on/off switch circuit failure, and B1352 Ingnition key in circuit fault. They all come right back after an erase wondering if one of these could be allowing it not to turn over? There should be enough HPO pressure to fire this thing.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:12 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cshaak

Pulling the valve covers will be my next step. I checked it again with air and it is not coming out of the oil filter housing so I can eliminate the pump. First though does anyone know how I can eliminate these codes?? B2103 PATS transceiver circuit Fault, B1483 Brake on/off switch circuit failure, and B1352 Ingnition key in circuit fault. They all come right back after an erase wondering if one of these could be allowing it not to turn over? There should be enough HPO pressure to fire this thing.
Doubt those codes will cause a no start
2103 is the transceiver antenna, and I think 1352 usually means the door chimes don't work or work whenever.
you say it won't turn over but you also say you have HPO pressure, so it is in fact turning over?

Some VERY knowledgeable posters here, "read" master techs, etc are eluding your issue being injector related, also what I was thinking after reading this thread.
You have white smoke at times, smells of raw fuel. Probably a good hint right there you have one or more hanging open a bit, good way to hydro lock things.

No contribution codes, but then you are using something nobody here can confirm actually sees those codes.
Add to that, 50k miles on no name remans, which means the reman could have consisted of a polished turd.
I don't say that to be critical, but the badge reman with injectors, and 6.0's in particular, has a very wide meaning sad to say.

If this were mine, I would get an ELM 327 to plug into the OBD II reader, then download ForScan for free to a laptop.
It's an excellent tool for codes, and if there are injector codes there it will find them.

Did you try the brake kleen trick and/or the glow plugs removed tricks that m-chan suggested?

Old 02-12-2019, 07:23 PM
cshaak
Junior User
2103 is the transceiver antenna, and I think 1352 usually means the door chimes don't work or work whenever.
you say it won't turn over but you also say you have HPO pressure, so it is in fact turning over?

Some VERY knowledgeable posters here, "read" master techs, etc are eluding your issue being injector related, also what I was thinking after reading this thread.
You have white smoke at times, smells of raw fuel. Probably a good hint right there you have one or more hanging open a bit, good way to hydro lock things.

No contribution codes, but then you are using something nobody here can confirm actually sees those codes.
Add to that, 50k miles on no name remans, which means the reman could have consisted of a polished turd.
I don't say that to be critical, but the badge reman with injectors, and 6.0's in particular, has a very wide meaning sad to say.

If this were mine, I would get an ELM 327 to plug into the OBD II reader, then download ForScan for free to a laptop.
It's an excellent tool for codes, and if there are injector codes there it will find them.

Did you try the brake kleen trick and/or the glow plugs removed tricks that m-chan suggested?

Its cranking...when I say it won’t turn over, I mean it won’t kick over and start. Only reason I’m hesitant about injector issue is I’ve delt and felt what that’s like in the past. I haven’t experienced any of that, great cold starts, no white smoke, only an occasional rough idle. Not to say it can’t be the injectors, I just thought I would have had some warning signs. Also my regular code reader, not the scanner in question picked up the injector codes when I had issues. Thanks for the scanner info I’ll look into that. I haven’t had the ***** yet to try the Brake Kleen...right in the turbo or maybe in the intake manifold at the egr hole? No I haven’t pulled the glow plugs yet.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:55 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Brake Kleen is safer and better for the engine than ether.
Yes, right in the turbo, so it takes two to tango obviously
Will likely answer the injector questions in short order.

Injectors by no means always give warning signs, not at all uncommon to have a failure or even multiples with no warning. Plenty of threads here on those.

Quick Reply: 2003 Excursion Crank No Start...everything seems to check out fine