6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2003 Excursion Crank No Start...everything seems to check out fine

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 12:26 PM
cshaak
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Yes
A wire could look fine on the outside but be shorted out inside

The randomness of these events IV highlighted in bold suggests short circuit events

​​​​​ do you have a dvom

Wire issue can be a test of patience especially if not used to using one

You need a better scanner because the truck should have thrown DTC for some of these sensors that have been unplugged since they are emission control and continuously monitored and would need to complete a proper drive cycle without error or be erased from pcm for DTC to go away
What is a dovm? Ohm volt meter?
Ive been scouring the wire loom...wouldn’t I have some codes if there was a bad wire? I do have codes for the egr being unplugged and deleted. There is a code for the ignition key and a code for the brake switch. Would it be beneficial to try a new ignition switch?
When I try to crank it over with brake clean I’ll do it in the engine bay with the starter wire on the battery and ignition in the on position Incase turning the key to start is an ignition issue.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:47 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,470 Likes on 1,711 Posts
Intermittent problems are difficult to say the least. We have one set of data to look at, and that is what was posted. If that isn't consistent, then we would hope some codes would show up. Personally I would lean towards an injector shorting out or something similar, but without the code(s) it is only a guess.

Also, we can't hear the crank, so it is hard to know if it is a normal crank or if it is an inconsistent crank. I am guessing it would have been mentioned if the crank was uneven or if it sounded unusual.

Can you confirm that the summary below is accurate?

From what you have posted, cam/crank is in sync, FICM is in sync, FICM is sending a fuel pulse width signal, fuel fills the bowl and has 55 psig pressure. Also, that sufficient high pressure oil pressure is being developed (even if it is with a high IPR duty cycle), the cranking rpms are sufficient, and vehicle/FICM voltages are good. With the garage temperature what it is and with the block heater on, you shouldn't need glow plugs. Lastly, a known good FICM doesn't change anything, and there are no bubbles in the fuel (either when filling the secondary fuel filter bowl or when cranking with a full fuel filter bowl). Oh, and the EGR is deleted, and the intake and exhaust pathways are clear.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:58 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
As far as RAE injectors, I really haven't heard of them. IMO I would only get injectors from Ford or from a source that sold the new Pure Power injectors. I do know that no injector rebuild shop is perfect (Ford or aftermarket).

I did find this thread (see post #3):
https://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...ectors.323617/

Old 02-09-2019, 01:29 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
I'm a little late to the party but 200 to 300 RPMs cranking speed does sound a little on the high end of the normal spectrum, leading me to wonder if this engine is a little low on compression.

Attempting to start the engine with Brake Parts cleaner will definitely tell you if you're low on compression, as well as tell if you have faulty injector(s).

If the above diagnosis leads to faulty injector(s), a good serving suggestion to pinpoint the culprit(s) would be to crank the engine over with all glow plugs removed, and observe which holes are misting fuel and which ones aren't (the faulty ones).

Old 02-09-2019, 02:19 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Thanks for posting up Mike.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:49 PM
cshaak
Junior User
Originally Posted by bismic
Intermittent problems are difficult to say the least. We have one set of data to look at, and that is what was posted. If that isn't consistent, then we would hope some codes would show up. Personally I would lean towards an injector shorting out or something similar, but without the code(s) it is only a guess.

Also, we can't hear the crank, so it is hard to know if it is a normal crank or if it is an inconsistent crank. I am guessing it would have been mentioned if the crank was uneven or if it sounded unusual.

Can you confirm that the summary below is accurate?

From what you have posted, cam/crank is in sync, FICM is in sync, FICM is sending a fuel pulse width signal, fuel fills the bowl and has 55 psig pressure. Also, that sufficient high pressure oil pressure is being developed (even if it is with a high IPR duty cycle), the cranking rpms are sufficient, and vehicle/FICM voltages are good. With the garage temperature what it is and with the block heater on, you shouldn't need glow plugs. Lastly, a known good FICM doesn't change anything, and there are no bubbles in the fuel (either when filling the secondary fuel filter bowl or when cranking with a full fuel filter bowl). Oh, and the EGR is deleted, and the intake and exhaust pathways are clear.
Yes your summary is accurate. The crank sounds completely normal for the first few seconds then it sounds like it’s starting to get fuel, it pops unevenly like it wants to start.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:52 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by cshaak
Yes your summary is accurate. The crank sounds completely normal for the first few seconds then it sounds like it’s starting to get fuel, it pops unevenly like it wants to start.
Sounds like a few injectors are not firing.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:54 PM
cshaak
Junior User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
I'm a little late to the party but 200 to 300 RPMs cranking speed does sound a little on the high end of the normal spectrum, leading me to wonder if this engine is a little low on compression.

Attempting to start the engine with Brake Parts cleaner will definitely tell you if you're low on compression, as well as tell if you have faulty injector(s).

If the above diagnosis leads to faulty injector(s), a good serving suggestion to pinpoint the culprit(s) would be to crank the engine over with all glow plugs removed, and observe which holes are misting fuel and which ones aren't (the faulty ones).
For the rpm the batteries are really juiced up, been charging over night and have a jump/charger on when cranking so voltage doesn’t drop. It’s normally 150-200 then when it kicks like it’s starting to get Fuel it ramps up a bit. I’ll try to do the brake clean tomorrow, see how that goes and try the glow plug thing. Although it really seems like it’s not getting fuel because I would be seeing white smoke as unburnt fuel.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:00 PM
cshaak
Junior User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Sounds like a few injectors are not firing.
Most of the injectors firing would start it I would think.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:03 PM
Nsmock
Junior User
Originally Posted by cshaak

Most of the injectors firing would start it I would think.
I have actually read that these things will run on only one bank, as for starting on them idk. I would assume as long as it's not 3 or 4 injectors in a row it should start

Old 02-09-2019, 04:40 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Yes some run down an injector or two But depend on how injector failed

Mechanical failure vs electronic failure

A short to ground may cause ficm chaos

Old 02-09-2019, 04:46 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
IMO it isn't going to start w/ 2 bad injectors. As Benny posted - even 1 bad one can cause a no-start, depending on the failure.

What surprises me a little is that no injectors codes popped up. Certainly keep us informed as you go forward!

Old 02-09-2019, 04:48 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Mike suggested a injector mist test you could try that

If you had a dvom you can ohm out injector coils and test for short circuit and short to ground

Old 02-09-2019, 08:15 PM
cshaak
Junior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Mike suggested a injector mist test you could try that

If you had a dvom you can ohm out injector coils and test for short circuit and short to ground
I’m assuming I did an electrical test with the scanner and passed? I have the normal key on clatter and hear each injector make noise during the injector test. In the past I’ve had codes for just sticking injectors so yes it’s odd there are no codes...going for a brake clean compression test tomorrow.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:39 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just an observation, but this started after you returned it to stock, correct?
Is the PCM wigging out for some reason after it was returned to stock?

Perhaps you could swap the PCM from your 05?

Quick Reply: 2003 Excursion Crank No Start...everything seems to check out fine