Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

86 F-150 strange issues

Old 02-09-2019, 08:43 PM
Kramercd
Senior User
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
I don't think the truck used electric pumps unless they were EFI and the 300 did not g0o EFI till after 87 sometime, so he should only have the pump on the side of the motor.
Dave ----
Well, you know how those previous owners are...

Old 02-10-2019, 05:30 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
I don't think the truck used electric pumps unless they were EFI and the 300 did not g0o EFI till after 87 sometime, so he should only have the pump on the side of the motor.
Dave ----
Originally Posted by Kramercd View Post
Well, you know how those previous owners are...
True but I did say "should only have"
Dave ----

Old 02-10-2019, 05:35 AM
cdubb79w
New User
cdubb79w is starting off with a positive reputation.
Once it warms up again I'll do some crawling around, been under it a bunch and never noticed an inline but can't rule it out. Is there more than one filter on it?

I doubt there was many mods done to it, there's been no mechanical mods of any kind that I've found. It was bought new in 86 by a old man, he put 21,000 miles on it when he died in 1992. His wife didn't drive so it sat beside the house til she died in 2015 when I bought it off of their sons who inherited it. I've messed with it on and off since then.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:13 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
The only fuel filter you can service easily is the one at the carb. There is a filter sock on the end of the fuel pickup inside the fuel tank but it is rare it would need changing unless something was bed inside the tank.
It could just be bad gas has gummed up things and a can of Sea Foam and driving it will clean it up.
When they sit a long time a lot can go bad where just taking it out 2 or 3 times a week would keep thing moving.
Dave ----

edit: just went back thru posts so the issue right now is carb floods & stalls when it is moved even a little like getting in & out.
If so the float level has to be off or something keeping it from closing when it needs to.
Because of the miles, 21,000, and who owned it, older person, I cant see a lot if any non-stock things done to it.

Fix the float issue and drive the truck and I am sure it will get better.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:19 PM
Kramercd
Senior User
The only fuel filter you can service easily is the one at the carb. There is a filter sock on the end of the fuel pickup inside the fuel tank but it is rare it would need changing unless something was bed inside the tank.
It could just be bad gas has gummed up things and a can of Sea Foam and driving it will clean it up.
When they sit a long time a lot can go bad where just taking it out 2 or 3 times a week would keep thing moving.
Dave ----

edit: just went back thru posts so the issue right now is carb floods & stalls when it is moved even a little like getting in & out.
If so the float level has to be off or something keeping it from closing when it needs to.
Because of the miles, 21,000, and who owned it, older person, I cant see a lot if any non-stock things done to it.

Fix the float issue and drive the truck and I am sure it will get better.
I agree, your first post said it ran good between a cleaning and it running out of fuel and sucking in some sediment, the flooding started after you rebuilt the carb? I'd double check your work, as it was what was done right before the other issue started.

More than likely is stock. One fuel filter at the carb. I'm planning on putting a second filter in line before the mechanical pump. I've seen other people do this, and it bothers me that the only thing screening the fuel is the pickup in the tank, and no way of knowing if it's cracked or not.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:20 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
I agree, your first post said it ran good between a cleaning and it running out of fuel and sucking in some sediment, the flooding started after you rebuilt the carb? I'd double check your work, as it was what was done right before the other issue started.

More than likely is stock. One fuel filter at the carb. I'm planning on putting a second filter in line before the mechanical pump. I've seen other people do this, and it bothers me that the only thing screening the fuel is the pickup in the tank, and no way of knowing if it's cracked or not.
People add the extra filter, but I have a bad feeling about it every time someone does it or mentions doing it. On all vehicles, even the newer ones with fuel injection, all you ever see is a coarse screen on the suction side of the pump, and the finer filter media in the fuel filter is always on the pressure side after the pump. There must be a reason for this.

We have large diesel generators where I work. The have large dual cartridge fuel filters on them. I just replaced a set the other day, the first was 150 micron the 2nd was 5 micron. Guess what. No filter on the suction side of the lift pump, all the filtering was on the output of the pump before the injection pump.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:40 PM
Kramercd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
People add the extra filter, but I have a bad feeling about it every time someone does it or mentions doing it. On all vehicles, even the newer ones with fuel injection, all you ever see is a coarse screen on the suction side of the pump, and the finer filter media in the fuel filter is always on the pressure side after the pump. There must be a reason for this.

We have large diesel generators where I work. The have large dual cartridge fuel filters on them. I just replaced a set the other day, the first was 150 micron the 2nd was 5 micron. Guess what. No filter on the suction side of the lift pump, all the filtering was on the output of the pump before the injection pump.
It just bothers me that everything getting filtered out has to go through the pump. No clue how the pump is designed. I assume the filter is to protect the carburetor or the injectors. And that it's to filter minor things that get into the pump. But if you've got a rusted tank all of that has to go through the pump to clog the filter.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:38 PM
jackietreehorn
Elder User
jackietreehorn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jackietreehorn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Probably cruddy gas or a loose wire. My 86 would cut off and die, turns out it was a loose wire feeding the ignition coil.

with so few miles, itís be a shame to hack up your truck. The feedback system isnít evil , just misunderstood 😎

Old 02-13-2019, 03:35 AM
cdubb79w
New User

Slight correction, the flooding happened prior to replacing the fuel filter for the first time (and tuneup) and after rebuild when the truck actually got bounced around. When I first got the truck it had no spark so I changed the ignition modual and it started but barely ran. After that I changed the spark plugs, cap and rotor and fuel filter and it ran perfect, that's when it ran out of gas and then it rebuilt the carb after that. I think I've driven it maybe a mile since I've owned it so, 99% of its running has been sitting still. Here's a video of it running after it sucked up tank crud but before a carb rebuild, it's basically the same when it moves around and if it stalls it stays like this for awhile. Bear in mind that about half throttle to keep it running anything less and it dies, there's blackish smoke too telling me it's very very rich.

Edit: Link doesn't appear to work (on mobile at least) you would have to copy and paste to use it

Last edited by ctubutis; 02-13-2019 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Fix video link
Old 04-29-2019, 02:01 AM
cdubb79w
New User
Well I pulled the carb off and had a look, float was right and it was pretty clean, then I noticed the needle and seat was upside down (pointy end of the needle touching the float). I assume that was a major part of the issue. Haven't started it yet but we shall see

Old 04-29-2019, 11:41 PM
Kramercd
Senior User
Originally Posted by cdubb79w View Post
Well I pulled the carb off and had a look, float was right and it was pretty clean, then I noticed the needle and seat was upside down (pointy end of the needle touching the float). I assume that was a major part of the issue. Haven't started it yet but we shall see
I apologize for dropping off the planet on you. Didn't see the last post you made. If I's you, I'd blame everything on the needle being upside down, and that other guy who did that when you weren't looking. Then I'd trying starting it and diagnosing fresh symptoms if there are any.

Can you tell whether the needle dropped in on assembly, or if something has come loose on the float allowing it to fall off?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.