Sponsored by: Moser

4x4 Newbie in the snow and ice

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 07:00 AM
jackietreehorn
Cargo Master
Received 184 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyTank
Ok, sooooo...I grossly overestimated how bad the roads were in the area I live in. Once I got onto the major road it was just fine. I swear it wasn't fine a couple days ago though!
So yea, EQCMCAT hit the nail on the head, I was being way over cautious. There's no doubt we're gettin snow over the next day or two though. Thanks for all the 4x4 information guys, I needed to read all of it regardless, great information for someone like myself. My hesitation today is primarily the result of me not having the experience with my truck. I just need to get out and drive this thing off road a bit and get a feel for it.
I did end up weighing down the bed today before I left the house, with miscellaneous items from my garage. Two bins of vintage 70's motorcycle parts, an air compressor and two bins of who knows Worked out great!

Additionally, member 79F150400M offered me a pair of chains for free. I picked them up from him this afternoon. Hell of a guy. Thank you brother that was awesome of you
There's an old saying from vintage Honda motorcycle adds, "you meet the nicest people on a Honda". I was thinking today that maybe it should also be, "you meet the nicest people driving a ford".
Maybe I'm being overcautious, but I was told to never put hard things in the bed to weigh it down, because when you slam on the brakes (which you may have to do in poor driving conditions) the barbell/lead ingot/boulder is going to fly through your rear window where your head usually is.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:38 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 422 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by jackietreehorn
Maybe I'm being overcautious, but I was told to never put hard things in the bed to weigh it down, because when you slam on the brakes (which you may have to do in poor driving conditions) the barbell/lead ingot/boulder is going to fly through your rear window where your head usually is.
Why would you buy a truck then if your afraid to put stuff in the bed? That's what their made for you know Lol.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:20 AM
RustyTank
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jackietreehorn
I have everything strapped down. But it reminds me that I'd much rather find something, like tube sand, to put back there. Thanks, Jackie.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:36 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Neato.

I did not know you could drive around with the front hubs locked in. I thought that was generally seen as a no-no. Sounds like it's just fine whether it's dry pavement or poor traction conditions. Thanks!

Old 02-08-2019, 08:50 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,279 Likes on 2,437 Posts
FTI those tubes they sale (made of sandbag material) will rot out/pull moisture and freeze and bust and or always fall apart. You can put them inside old tractor/trailer inner tube to make them last way longer.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:27 AM
smle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 133 Likes on 54 Posts
Aaron, locally I've done that just fine. But distance driving a definite no-no.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:46 AM
RustyTank
Junior User
I got out there

Howdy guys. Well, we've had quite a bit of snow this past week, at least for us here in the Seattle area it's been a lot. Anyway, per your recommendations, I took the truck out there a bit and tested out the four-wheel-drive. Seemed to work great! I messed around a bit with going between 2 wheel high and 4 wheel high and noticed the difference for sure. It really was the difference between losing my *** end and not

Anyway, thanks again for the great info, the recommendations, and the encouragement.

Cheers guys.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:06 PM
EQCMCAT
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
RustyTank,
Good to hear all has gone well for you up in God's country W/your rig, building confidence and experience. On a different note. Attended a Charlie Pride concert in Puyallup back in 1980, really enjoyed Charlie's performance and generally my time in Washington state, including Trout fishing the Quilence river over on the Olympic Peninsula

Old 02-14-2019, 12:23 PM
RustyTank
Junior User
Originally Posted by EQCMCAT
RustyTank,
Good to hear all has gone well for you up in God's country W/your rig, building confidence and experience. On a different note. Attended a Charlie Pride concert in Puyallup back in 1980, really enjoyed Charlie's performance and generally my time in Washington state, including Trout fishing the Quilence river over on the Olympic Peninsula

CAT, I could talk at length about why I think the NW is so great, I'm also from the region so I'm biased. Sounds like your experience up here made an impression. That's awesome, thanks for sharing it man
Oh, and the Olympic Peninsula is...in a word, incredible.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:43 PM
1978f-250
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
Neato.

I did not know you could drive around with the front hubs locked in. I thought that was generally seen as a no-no. Sounds like it's just fine whether it's dry pavement or poor traction conditions. Thanks!
From my 1979 owners manual: It is recommended that the vehicle be driven in 2H with the hubs engaged for the first 200 miles (320km) and, thereafter, monthly for a minimum of 10 miles (15km) to insure proper lubrication.

The two Winters I drove my 4x4 I just left the hubs locked all the time.

Dennis

Old 02-14-2019, 05:18 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,282 Likes on 1,084 Posts
When driving my '77 in snow or ice (or both) on a good road, I lock hubs first …. then use 4H by pulling back on TC lever while moving once I'm on slick stuff and if on the main or other good road, I bump the lever forward while still moving into 2H before leaving the slick stuff. If on slick stuff, I ain't doing 65 anyways (maybe 35-45 though). When I anticipate needing 4H later, I just ru normaly in 2H with hubs locked until I'm on slick stuff and then a yank has me back in 4WD HI.

If I am on a dirt or gravel or other such road and it's bad enough I have hubs locked, likely I'm in a 4WD mode.

If slow speed, using 4WD like in yard to pull stumps, etc … I pull up onto my paved driveway, let or induce truck to back up a hair as I apply pressure on lever from 4H (or 4L as the case may be) towards 2H and once it slips into 2H, I stop and park it or whatever …. unlock hubs as I walk away as now there is no pressure on them.

I think that covers it.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:26 PM
RustyTank
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1978f-250
From my 1979 owners manual: It is recommended that the vehicle be driven in 2H with the hubs engaged for the first 200 miles (320km) and, thereafter, monthly for a minimum of 10 miles (15km) to insure proper lubrication.

Dennis
Great info Dennis. Thanks!

Additionally, I've been strongly considering buying the owners manual for my 79. Your post may have convinced me.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:32 PM
RustyTank
Junior User
Originally Posted by tbear853
When driving my '77 in snow or ice (or both) on a good road, I lock hubs first …. then use 4H by pulling back on TC lever while moving once I'm on slick stuff and if on the main or other good road, I bump the lever forward while still moving into 2H before leaving the slick stuff. If on slick stuff, I ain't doing 65 anyways (maybe 35-45 though). When I anticipate needing 4H later, I just ru normaly in 2H with hubs locked until I'm on slick stuff and then a yank has me back in 4WD HI.
Thanks for your input tbear.
This is exactly what I did. Worked great.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:27 PM
1978f-250
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1978f-250

Dennis
Originally Posted by RustyTank
Great info Dennis. Thanks!

Additionally, I've been strongly considering buying the owners manual for my 79. Your post may have convinced me.
RT,

If you ever want any info from the owners manual (guide as it's called) just let me know.

Dennis

Old 02-16-2019, 03:26 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,282 Likes on 1,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
Neato.

With transfer case in 2H, you can drive it all you want with hubs locked. Will slightly affect gas mileage though.

It is when you put the transfer case in 4L or 4H with hubs locked that you force front and rear axles to spin exact same speed, and any variation in loading front to rear, tire pressures, tire wear, or just that long sweeper turn causes binding and it will wreak a transfer case in time, maybe even ring & pinion sets as they all stay loaded. Also hard on U-joints.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Newbie in the snow and ice