1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

My transmission build

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 05:44 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pigpen1
well I got 30 awesome miles before the o/d light started flashing and started shifting hard. It happened right b4 I got home. I pulled code 1728. I cleared it and went back to test it and sure s*** in overdrive it started flashing again. I am still able to to shift out of overdrive. IDK where to start. At this point I give up. I am so disappointed.
Test your solenoid pack first. If the TCC solenoid is operating, then you have a mechanical issue to resolve.

From your other post. Yes a transmission temp gauge will save you.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:02 PM
Pigpen1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I test this with AutoEnginuity? What is the best method of testing the tcc solenoid?
When you say it could be mechanical are you saying in the valve or more internal?
Also do you think hooking to torque pro could of messed something up? A lot of questions I’m sorry

Old 02-21-2019, 08:21 AM
headloct
Mountain Pass
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Did it shift to all gears and did you feel the lock up on the 1st 29 miles? When you tore it apart,did you clean debris from every last part including the valve body internals? Trash may have collected in the TCC solenoid causing low pressure and the slip.!st thing I would do is check the harness and plugs. Hope you figure it out.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:57 AM
Bobcatbob
Senior User
"You're a badazz for even attempting it."

This thread has been such a wealth of knowledge & inspiration. Hope it has a happy ending.
Every problem has a solution.
Bob

Old 02-21-2019, 10:14 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Pigpen1
well I got 30 awesome miles before the o/d light started flashing and started shifting hard. It happened right b4 I got home. I pulled code 1728. I cleared it and went back to test it and sure s*** in overdrive it started flashing again. I am still able to to shift out of overdrive. IDK where to start. At this point I give up. I am so disappointed.
I don't know how to work on these transmissions, but I do know when JW built mine and it did the same thing with the same code, it was a bad converter. Hope this helps. You're a badazz for even attempting it.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:25 AM
Pigpen1
Senior User
[QUOTE=headloct;18495907]Did it shift to all gears and did you feel the lock up on the 1st 29 miles? When you tore it apart,did you clean debris from every last part including the valve body internals? Trash may have collected in the TCC solenoid causing low pressure and the slip.!st thing I would do is check the harness and plugs. Hope you figure it out.[/QUOTE

yes it did and still does. I tried really hard to clean each part. I do not have a shop. it snowed and turned cold so ya I am screwed for a day or so

Old 02-21-2019, 10:29 AM
Pigpen1
Senior User
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I don't know how to work on these transmissions, but I do know when JW built mine and it did the same thing with the same code, it was a bad converter. Hope this helps. You're a badazz for even attempting it.
ya I may have a bad one. I am going to have to find out some how. A lot of work for sure. thanks for your remark. i tried to rep but NO

Old 02-21-2019, 12:55 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,168 Likes on 949 Posts
Thumbs up

See if you can log to see if it is locking at all or slipping while locked, I am unsure of the extent AE and the like's ability to scan. I would think with the Tugger would allow you to feel the TCC lockup, like another shift. Also checking the TCC noid is very smart. I would also run a continuity test on the solenoid pack harness wires back to the ECU area. I think that plug is under the master cylinder. I have the EVTM and can look up for you if needed.

FWIW, I think the problem is more simple than you believe. Even if it does need a converter, the trucks starts, shifts through all four gears and has reverse. Hell, I would still drive it without a locking converter until you find the issue. It will just run a bit warmer.

I think you did great for your first time in a trans! First time I did a shift kit I killed the AOD in my F150 LOL I was young and had no access to the ATSG books to help reinstall.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:35 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Hope you get it figured out Curt. Sounds like something simple if it drove good for a while. Hope it's just electrical.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:44 PM
Pigpen1
Senior User
Hit man your awesome. thanks for the boost. We will figure this out. And yes if you could do that for me it would be great.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:21 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like hit man said in his post. You should feel the converter lock up with the Tugger kit. Now AE should tell you if the solenoid is working. If not the ATSG manual does have the test procedure in it.

When you do a rebuild, always include a new solenoid pack. They can be worn out like the rest of the tranny.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:38 PM
Pigpen1
Senior User
Originally Posted by trackspeeder
Like hit man said in his post. You should feel the converter lock up with the Tugger kit. Now AE should tell you if the solenoid is working. If not the ATSG manual does have the test procedure in it.

When you do a rebuild, always include a new solenoid pack. They can be worn out like the rest of the tranny.

I did do a new solenoid pack. in ATSG would code 62 be similar to the 1728? I messed around a little with AE last night and got more questions than answers LOL.
I'll try and post some pictures tonight of what i was looking at.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:07 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Did you test them before install? At least powering them up? If not, problem could be there.

Do not worry. Another trans I built only had reverse and third (basically I knew it had no power to it, but R and 3 meant I knew it pretty much worked mechanically due to what clutches apply when). I was BEYOND pissed. Dropped valve body twice, all checked out. There was power to the case connector. Turns out the damned rubber inside the valve body harness would rotate independent of the case connector positioning due to fatigue and replacements were NLA. It threaded on from the body harness but did not plug into the pins.

Dropped it AGAIN, as you cannot pull the harness without dropping valve body. Fixed it with some high end anaerobic sealant after a full deoiling. Total pain in the ***, but the trans still works great to this day.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:59 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Eric knows his CHIT regarding these transmissions. Listen to him.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:22 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Mark is the man on these.

I know some stuff.

Quick Reply: My transmission build