Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

So who is going to be the first ?

Old 02-06-2019, 04:18 PM
matthewq4b
Postmaster
matthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to all

Well the long awaited announcement of Ford's new 7.3L Gasser has been passed down.
The short
7.3L displacement.
Cross bolted 6 bolt mains.
Iron Block Aluminum heads
Full roller push rod valve train with VVT
Multiport SEFI (no GDI)

Looks like a candidate for a Bullnose swap to replace aged 460's

More information.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:38 PM
Rembrant
Elder User
Rembrant is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Based on my current Ford truck buying tastes, I won't be buying a 2020 model until 2055...lol. Nice lookin' rig though. I like the specs.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:48 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
At least you have a date the banker (wife) said no more new cars or trucks, just way to much $$
Besides they now have way to much crap on them run by computer and the whole thing sits till someone can find why & fix.
Dave ----

Old 02-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
They went with the GM formula using the old pushrod design for the engine layout? For years they were pushing the overhead cam style of engines.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:23 PM
matthewq4b
Postmaster
matthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
They went with the GM formula using the old pushrod design for the engine layout? For years they were pushing the overhead cam style of engines.
It is a step in the right direction in my option OHC has it's place but in heavy light and medium duty trucks is not one of them. The mod motors got way over extended in their applications IMHO.

Power wise it was stated it will slot in between the 6.2 and the 6.7 Powerstroke. So more power than the 6.2 in a smaller cleaner package. It looks like this engine will be a fairly strait forward swap in terms of physical installation, it will make for a much cleaner and simpler install in older vehicles. With the power plant going in medium duty trucks the ECM hardware should be much simpler than if it was in an F150. It may be more of a standalone system more independent of the chassis's systems. And now with Electric to Mechanical Speedometer Cable Drive units available the speedometer issue is a non issue.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:21 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Fordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
This surprised me as well.

I can't wait to see the swap options that become available with this engine and whether there will be solid aftermarket support for it.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:30 AM
jackietreehorn
Elder User
jackietreehorn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jackietreehorn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Very cool. Push rods and iron block, whats not to like?

Old 02-07-2019, 09:20 AM
reamer
Postmaster
reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.
I refuse to buy new....Because of the price and sales tax to the state...…
And yes, too much computer stuff.....

Old 02-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
Nothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to all
It'll be interesting to see where the powerband is. I had a 5.4L in an '08 F-250, and I have the V-10 in my '15 E-450 motorhome. I hate that those engines need to be spun over 3000 rpm to make ANY power (the '08 couldn't pull overdrive at 70 mph / 2600 rpm when there was a headwind), and over 4500 rpm if you're actually trying to accelerate. If you spin 'em they'll do great, just not what I want in a truck. So it'll be interesting to see if the new motor is another (big) sports car engine or back to being a truck engine.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:08 PM
scottscott
Elder User
scottscott has a good reputation on FTE.scottscott has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Nothing Special View Post
It'll be interesting to see where the powerband is. I had a 5.4L in an '08 F-250, and I have the V-10 in my '15 E-450 motorhome. I hate that those engines need to be spun over 3000 rpm to make ANY power (the '08 couldn't pull overdrive at 70 mph / 2600 rpm when there was a headwind), and over 4500 rpm if you're actually trying to accelerate. If you spin 'em they'll do great, just not what I want in a truck. So it'll be interesting to see if the new motor is another (big) sports car engine or back to being a truck engine.
The 6.2 is no different, you have to rev the guts out of it to make power. It is amazing how much time the engine spends between 4000 & 5800 rpm's when towing. Hopefully Ford has finally made a truck engine with bottom end power with the 7.3. Not that I'll ever buy one, but I may drive one at work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.