Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

300 i6 Rough idle/oil pressure light, temp and fuel gauge issues

Old 02-06-2019, 08:57 PM
beatboxingboy
Freshman User
beatboxingboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jackietreehorn View Post
Cyl 2 sounds low—might be a problem. You need to check comp with a teaspoon of motor oil added through spark plug hole.

This is will tell us if rings or valves are bad.
Sounds great. I'll gather supplies tomorrow, and run my tests tomorrow night or Friday night.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:37 PM
beatboxingboy
Freshman User
Welp, I ran my leak-down test with an adapter from 18mm to 1/4" NPT adapter, and sure 'nuff, I got air from my #1 spark plug hole. At first I thought about a bad head gasket, but that wouldn't explain why #1 compression was so great. I checked, and the intake valve on #1 was open (I was on TDC on #2), so I plugged the spark plug hole on #1 with my finger, and got a bunch of air out of my carb. I tested @30 PSI and it was flowing pretty good. So now a valve job! I want to do a full rebuild, but don't currently have the time to do it all right, and these engines can run with blowby (I just need to make a catch-can/reroute my blow-by hose). So I just think I'll do a valve/head port job, and do a full rebuild, plus upgrades, later this year, or early next. Thanks for all the help guys! I'll work on the gauges while the head is out, since I have better access to that temp sender!

Old 02-07-2019, 07:47 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
A leak down test found the issue, good job.
What if you looked for another used 300 motor?
Either one you can drop in and use or rebuild it wile you keep using the motor in the truck.
You may want to check in here for people swapping the six out for a v8 or check in the gas motor area of this forum.
Dave ----

Old 02-07-2019, 09:43 PM
beatboxingboy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
A leak down test found the issue, good job.
What if you looked for another used 300 motor?
Either one you can drop in and use or rebuild it wile you keep using the motor in the truck.
You may want to check in here for people swapping the six out for a v8 or check in the gas motor area of this forum.
Dave ----
I've thought about that, but I'm not in dire need of this truck (she's mostly my toy, as I have a few other vehicles I drive regularly), so I'm in no particular hurry to get her back going. Also, another reason, is that I can spend more on the head/other performance parts, and spread the cost of all of it out over time (a large chunk now, let the bank account recover, then the rest later).

I got the head off tonight, and there is nothing obvious, but I don't have a spring compressor at home (might have one at work, will check), so I can't see between the valve and seat yet. I'll take her to our local machine shop tomorrow, to see if they'll work on it. I'll go from there.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Old 02-07-2019, 11:00 PM
kr98664
Posting Guru
kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by beatboxingboy View Post
I got the head off tonight, and there is nothing obvious, but I don't have a spring compressor at home (might have one at work, will check), so I can't see between the valve and seat yet.
Here's an easy way to check how well the valves are sealing against the valve seats. Flip the head over, so the valve stems are pointing down. You may have to rest it on some wood strips (or similar) to make it level.

Pour some paint thinner to fill up the combustion chamber area. If any valve doesn't seal well, the paint thinner will leak out. Look for wetness in the intake or exhaust passages to confirm which valve was leaking. Don't use lacquer thinner or any fluid that will evaporate quickly. Good old turpentine or similar that is very slow to evaporate is what you want.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:02 PM
kr98664
Posting Guru
kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by beatboxingboy View Post
Thanms again for all the help guys!
You're welmome.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:56 PM
beatboxingboy
Freshman User
Whoops! I guess I have fat fingers!

As I only have the head off now, what are your best ideas for mods while it's off? My local guy (who is looking at the head) doesn't do porting anymore, so after he is done, I'll be looking for someone to do some porting work. Anyone know a good shop around Lexington TN? What about other upgrades? I've heard about roller rockers, studs, etc. I already have EFI manifolds, Offy DP manifold, etc. I plan on doing a comp 268H cam, and maybe some other stuff when the block comes out for a full rebuild later, but for now, what would be some items to improve on the head?

Thanks again!

Old 02-09-2019, 04:00 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
You may want to ask that over here http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum52/
As for porting for street use most of the time just a port clean up / smooth out is all that you need.
If you make the ports to large the velocity of the air is lowered and the fuel may drop out of the air when used on the street.
For racing this is not an issue as you are running at WOT most of the time.
Dave ----

Old 02-09-2019, 04:02 PM
beatboxingboy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
You may want to ask that over here http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum52/
As for porting for street use most of the time just a port clean up / smooth out is all that you need.
If you make the ports to large the velocity of the air is lowered and the fuel may drop out of the air when used on the street.
For racing this is not an issue as you are running at WOT most of the time.
Dave ----
Gotcha, I will see if the machinist knows anyone around who does porting, and who knows about this engine (if I'm that lucky). Thanks for advice!
I think I found my temp gauge problem. The sender is DESTROYED. Will get one from my local auto parts store, and that should fix that problem! I'll see after I put the head on.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:26 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
I don't think you want a full on port job.
As I posted above it will slow down the air flow when done on a street head motor and cause fuel drop out.
The other thing is it takes a lot of time, read hours = $$$$$, to port. You have to know what the flow is before you start and check it along the way.
If the person does not know what they are doing they can have it flow worst than when they started turning the head into junk.
They should also know what lift cam you are going to use and match the flow to that lift. If you only have a 450 lift and the porter does it for 650 the flow at 450 can be worst than when he started.
You cant just go hog wild in there and get magic numbers. Also you will find most porters know 1 make of head be it Ford or Chevy v8 heads who ports L6 heads.
Also what works on a Ford may not work on the Chevy heads and the other way around. I know no one will touch AMC v8 heads and the worst stock AMC have flows better than the best flowing Chevy head as I know a few porters that put them on a flow bench just to see how they flow and were shocked.

Most porters will say just smooth out the ports, not mirror smooth as you need some ruffness to keep the fuel in the air and maybe blend the bowls and that is it for a street motor head.
Now port matching head to intake / exh gaskets and manifold is good on any motor. and they you can do at home with a die grinder and some bits.
Dave ----

Old 02-17-2019, 03:05 PM
beatboxingboy
Freshman User
I see what you mean. I got my head back, and running great. I've decided to put the truck back together, as it sits, and run it for this year, and meanwhile. Get another engine and rebuild (thanks for the idea fuzzface). The injector pump on my dodge just went out (it's a dodge, what did I expect?!), I have a backup, but this truck works best for pulling some of the things I need to this summer, so I'll run her like she is, and in my spare time, I'll work on building this other motor. I assume any other 300 will work? I know the EFI years are different, so I'll stay away from them, but otherwise, anything '85 and older should work, right? I plan on going with a comp 260H or 268H cam, with harland sharp roller rockers, hypereutectic pistons, probably stock rods, (after your advise) a cleanup port on the head, maybe oversize valves (I'm researching them), and I think that's it for now. I'll keep researching, as I am still a ways away from having all the info I need to start working on the engine. Thanks again for the advise!

I went and started another thread on my temp gauge issues, as this thread was mostly about my running issues.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:25 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Funny how things turn out with the pump on the Dodge going out, head back and truck running good and can use it now and picking up another motor so you can take your time to research more before building it.

Only thing I know of the EFI blocks is the fuel pump hole is not open but think the bolt holes are drilled and taped for the bolts.
I also hear the EFI cam shaft will work a non-EFI pump so just knock a hole for the pump arm and you are good to go.
I also think the EFI head has a few more bolts that hole the manifolds on but you can use the carb & either EFI manifolds or a header.
Only thing I don't know is what 300 motor, <85 or the EFI> has more compression?
Think I seen a post the EFI head had better chamber shape for burn rate but don't know if that would help or hurt a motor running a carb?

Have you checked out the performance area for the six? FrenchTownFlyer I think is the go to guy for the 240 / 300 six information.
That reminds me I think the 240 head will raise the compression when bolted on a 300 short block. Just don't know how the 240 flows compared to the 300?

Just think what I may know if I was to research building up a 300 six motor
Dave ----

Old 02-17-2019, 08:23 PM
beatboxingboy
Freshman User
I thought the same thing!

I noticed in my manual with torque sequences, the efi manifolds had around 3 or 4 more holes that the non-efi. I thought about the 240 heads, but I'd like to keep the compression where it is, so I can safely run the crappy 87 octane gas (this is my work truck/play truck/project/toy). I get worried about drilling/making holes, so I'll just find a non' efi block. I found an engine, 3spd manual tranny, and rear axle for $300 (or $500, I can't remember), so that would be a steal! Don't have time to start building now, so I'll have to pass on that one. Thanks for the help and advice! I don't think I'll do a build as wild as Frenchie, but I'll definitely try to add some horses!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.