F450 rear shocks - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

F450 rear shocks

 
  #1  
Old 02-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Mud Doc's Avatar
Mud Doc
Mud Doc is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,123
Mud Doc is starting off with a positive reputation.
F450 rear shocks

I have waited way too long to replace the stock 'Ranchos'--been reading thru old threads to find a choice. Truck is stock, don't need anything for off-roading and such, just a good replacement for the old ones. Guess the only option is a Rancho9000XL adjustable? Trying to get Les Schwab store to find a fit--their listed KYB MonoMax did not. Any help?

EDIT: Got the 9000XLs and tried them for fit----the bottom of the shock does not match the OEM and if the steel sleeve is used, the bolt does not fit. What is the deal to get the 9000 installed on the rears?

Tried the Rancho number--answered by Tenneco after about 4 mins holding. Then the guy could not help, says the number shock I have (999273) is the correct shock, but the bottom mount/bushing is different than OEM. Any help?
 

Last edited by Mud Doc; 02-06-2019 at 05:26 PM. Reason: More info
  #2  
Old 02-08-2019, 07:53 PM
Mud Doc's Avatar
Mud Doc
Mud Doc is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,123
Mud Doc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Still needing some help on getting Rancho 9000XLs installed on the rear my 450--installer wants to use smalledr diameter G8 bolt on lower mount as the OEM bolt won't go thru the supplied steel sleeve. Anyone on here put these shocks on a 450? Gotta do something soon...
 
  #3  
Old 02-08-2019, 08:07 PM
someday
someday is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: midwest
Posts: 1,197
someday is starting off with a positive reputation.
bore out the steel sleeve with a drill bit?
 
  #4  
Old 02-08-2019, 10:31 PM
2009kr
2009kr is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,105
2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Mud Doc View Post
Still needing some help on getting Rancho 9000XLs installed on the rear my 450--installer wants to use smalledr diameter G8 bolt on lower mount as the OEM bolt won't go thru the supplied steel sleeve. Anyone on here put these shocks on a 450? Gotta do something soon...
You've got the wrong shocks. The 2017+ trucks use one with an "A" at the end of the model number. A smaller bolt will slide in the mount and damage the hole. I've run the RS9000XLs on my 2017 F450 for over a year and am happy with them.

While Summit doesn't know that the F450 uses the same shocks as the F350, you'll notice the part number for a 2017+ is RS999047A instead of the RS999047's that you probably have. Amazon has the wrong info.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...350-super-duty

BTW, I sprayed a couple of coats of clear on them and put grease in the adjustment pin (under the ****) to keep them looking good and adjustable longer.
 
  #5  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:16 PM
Mud Doc's Avatar
Mud Doc
Mud Doc is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,123
Mud Doc is starting off with a positive reputation.
2009kr,
Thank you for the numbers----Rancho themselves (Tennneco) said the correct # was 999273. Will talk to installer tomorrow and see if he can get them.
These are for a stock height 450, not lifted, right?

someday,
Don't feel good about that--just like don't feel good that the supposed correct shock bottom mount doesn't match the OEM, but thanks.
 
  #6  
Old 02-09-2019, 09:02 AM
mgpsfan
mgpsfan is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 156
mgpsfan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mgpsfan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Rancho support gave me these part numbers

2018 F450
RS999042
RS999047A
 
  #7  
Old 02-09-2019, 11:00 AM
Mud Doc's Avatar
Mud Doc
Mud Doc is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,123
Mud Doc is starting off with a positive reputation.
mgpsfan,
Thanks, and I will use them to see what I get. I also talked to Rancho Support and he insisted the correct shock for the rear of a 450 was the 999273, but believe he was not smart enough to know anything but what his papers said, could not accept that it did not match the OEM.
 
  #8  
Old 02-09-2019, 11:20 AM
mgpsfan
mgpsfan is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 156
mgpsfan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mgpsfan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Mud Doc View Post
mgpsfan,
Thanks, and I will use them to see what I get. I also talked to Rancho Support and he insisted the correct shock for the rear of a 450 was the 999273, but believe he was not smart enough to know anything but what his papers said, could not accept that it did not match the OEM.
Hope it works for you! I have those installed on my truck.
 
  #9  
Old 02-09-2019, 01:52 PM
Mud Doc's Avatar
Mud Doc
Mud Doc is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,123
Mud Doc is starting off with a positive reputation.
More confused than ever--Rancho distributor for Les Schwab says the 999047A is special-order and each one is $50 higher than the 999273 that Rancho insists is the correct one.
Going to give up on replacing them til I am in a RV campground for a month and begin again to research fitments. Full-time in fifth wheel and don't feel good about Rancho giving out info conflicting with correct shock number. Can't get real info from website, just lists tons of shocks and no particular application.
Thanks all for trying to help,
Joe
 
  #10  
Old 02-09-2019, 01:55 PM
2009kr
2009kr is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,105
2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I bought mine from Summit. No hassles.
 
  #11  
Old 02-09-2019, 10:22 PM
Mud Doc's Avatar
Mud Doc
Mud Doc is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,123
Mud Doc is starting off with a positive reputation.
2009kr
Could not find that number on the Summit website?
 
  #12  
Old 02-09-2019, 10:54 PM
2009kr
2009kr is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,105
2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Mud Doc View Post
2009kr
Could not find that number on the Summit website?
Try the link in my post above. It should work.
 
  #13  
Old 02-10-2019, 11:14 AM
HRTKD's Avatar
HRTKD
HRTKD is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Somewhere south of Denver
Posts: 6,403
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Mud Doc View Post
More confused than ever--Rancho distributor for Les Schwab says the 999047A is special-order and each one is $50 higher than the 999273 that Rancho insists is the correct one.
Going to give up on replacing them til I am in a RV campground for a month and begin again to research fitments. Full-time in fifth wheel and don't feel good about Rancho giving out info conflicting with correct shock number. Can't get real info from website, just lists tons of shocks and no particular application.
Thanks all for trying to help,
Joe
While I don't have an F-450 I did replace all my shocks on my F-350 SRW with the same part numbers provided here. They work well. I bought mine online. Shop around, the price varies from store to store for sure.
 
  #14  
Old 02-10-2019, 10:14 PM
Mud Doc's Avatar
Mud Doc
Mud Doc is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,123
Mud Doc is starting off with a positive reputation.
2009kr,
Thanks--so absolutely the 350 shock fits the 450? Apologize for the question, just doesn't seem right that so many websites are off on this particular shock. This would mean that any '17 350 shock will fit the '17 450 rear?
Joe
 
  #15  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:29 AM
mmm635
mmm635 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 130
mmm635 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Mud Doc View Post
2009kr,
Thanks--so absolutely the 350 shock fits the 450? Apologize for the question, just doesn't seem right that so many websites are off on this particular shock. This would mean that any '17 350 shock will fit the '17 450 rear?
Joe
I used the same Bilstein shocks for an F350 on my F450, even on my '15 F450 - physically the same. So, the Rancho should physically fit. However, the Bilstein shocks require a bushing replacement or drilling out the sleeve to fit. The Rancho seems to have a direct part number followed by an "A" which has the larger 9/16" sleeve size to accommodate the bolt.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.