Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

1992and1/2, What injectors to use?

Old 02-05-2019, 06:33 PM
Steelhorse
New User
Steelhorse is starting off with a positive reputation.
1992and1/2, What injectors to use?

Hello everyone, I need some help here.
I have a 1992 7.3 IDI that had a ATS turbo added at 4,000 miles. The truck just turned 150,000 miles. I do not know if the injectors were changed to a different code when the turbo was added.
Non turbo calls for E code. I have a feeling I need to change the injectors now. Runs a little rough at idle but runs great on the road. I get 17 MPG on the highway with the 4:10 gears and 4x4 so no complaints there.
Some times that whiteish grayish smoke comes out at idle and rev it up and it goes away. I have had this engine before so I know it can run smoother. Replaced the injector 0 rings and return lines months ago so no leaks.
The truck looks like it is 2 years old inside and out so I want to keep it up. What type nd brand of injector would be a good fit for my set up?
Thanks again,
Stephen

Old 02-05-2019, 10:06 PM
90Ford73
Senior User
90Ford73 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello Steelhorse,

The injectors are coded because of the different pop pressure and flow I believe. It doesnít matter to them if they are in a turbo truck or N/A truck, as long as all 8 are coded the same. BB code I think are the most popular because they flow more, and the most common. You donít need to change injectors because you have a turbo.

Before you replace parts make sure you donít have any air in the lines or a gummy IP. Somebody will be along in a short while to give better advice before you spend money.

If you do need to buy injectors, stay far away from parts stores and other zoos that sell junk. Somebody on here will hook you up with a reputable place, and we also have a few members that sell injection parts.

And btw, that is a beautiful rig

Old 02-06-2019, 02:02 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
at 150,000 miles, your injectors and injector pump are at the end of their service life.
i agree with the above statement to stay away from parts stores or other "good deals"
Justin at R&D IDI Performance hand builds all the injectors he sells, same with his injector pumps. stock injectors are around $330 for 8, and injector pump is around $690.
Purchase - R&D IDI Performance

Mel at Conestoga Diesel also has a stellar reputation.
fuel injection injection pump injection pump rebuilding injection pump repair, Conestoga Diesel Injection Fuel Injection and Turbocharger Rebuilding. The Moose Pump people! Willow Street, PA Ford
his prices are a little higher at $440 for injectors and $805 for injector pump.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:40 PM
03wr250f
Freshman User
03wr250f is starting off with a positive reputation.
either idiperformance.com or michelle N russell mathis on facebook is all i would run in my truck and all i would suggest to you.
R&D idiperformance.com may be out of stock, but it is worth the wait for top notch quality.
whatever you do dont buy from diesel care and performance

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.