7.3L / 6.8L V8 Gasoline Engines Discuss the new 7.3 and 6.8L Gasoline V8s

7.3L kill resale value of 6.2L

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 10:09 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
That's a ridiculous statement. Have you driven the two? I mean, i don't disagree that a half-ton rides nicer, steers better, is quicker, gets better fuel economy, and has better brakes. But the capability is not there at all. I own a side business and have several work trucks. For my personal daily driver, I wouldn't really want anything other than a 3/4 ton or 1-ton truck. I don't care about the trade-offs. I like sitting up higher, not lower...I like larger tires, I prefer to have substantial payload, I want to be able to tow a trailer with a WD hitch and have it feel a lot more stable. I want the greater off-road capability of the HD truck. I want to be able to carry and push with a large plow. And this is coming from a Raptor owner! I just like the feel of an HD truck.

Gas or diesel HD trucks are fine. Most guys that are doing "real work" use gas powered HD trucks. They are cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, and have more payload. The only commercial guys I see running diesels are those who really need to tow something heavy.

I've had both. I like the diesel better. But the gas engine is completely fine, and I'm talking about the 6.2L. The 7.3L will be even better.
LOL I had a modified (highly Raptor with a 6.2) with 5 leaf tapered for the load made for the Raptor by Deaver and handled like a dream, highest perch, modifications to allow for 37 inch tires to properly function with respect to travel of the suspension. That being said it was not even on the same planet with respect to being a work truck to my 18 6.7 Platty modified with the BDS Leveling, track bar and dual SS by Fox.

Just as an example sitting at the ranch in 110 temps the Raptor would not blow cold air for an hour or two at a time lol but my 6.7 I have to turn up because it will actually get too cold on the lowest setting using recirculated air which is a must because of dust and dirt out there. Many other things such as handling with heavy load but AC is my pet peeve.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:51 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
Just as an example sitting at the ranch in 110 temps the Raptor would not blow cold air for an hour or two at a time lol but my 6.7 I have to turn up because it will actually get too cold on the lowest setting using recirculated air which is a must because of dust and dirt out there. Many other things such as handling with heavy load but AC is my pet peeve.
I didn't buy it before and I'm still having a hard time buying it now, with regards to A/C performance. My Raptor has electric cooling fans, and all the A/C system needs to blow cold air in the cab is for the compressor to be driven by the engine, ambient outside air to be blown across the condenser, and your cabin blower to push air across the evaporator. Now obviously a gas engine turns the compressor just fine at idle, and the outside air temp is the same regardless of gas or diesel. And the cabin fan blowers are the same. So all that leaves in the engine cooling fan. So a gas Super Duty (and most gas powered HD trucks) use a viscous clutch controlled engine fan. As underhood temps climb, the viscous clutch engages so that the fan turns one to one with the engine. On diesel HD trucks, they use an electronically controlled fan clutch...the fan engages when the computer determines it needs to based upon engine oil / coolant temps. It is true that the diesel engines have larger fans than the gas engines, because they have more cooling requirement. But to help offset this, the gas engines idle and run higher RPMs in general than a diesel engine...meaning their fans spin faster. And obviously, half-ton trucks use electric fans now which are directly linked to engine coolant / oil temps, AND A/C demand, because there is no engine fan running at all times.

I live in NH...obviously it doesn't get as hot here as what you experience. We had one day last year when the temp was 102F. That's extremely hot for us. My gas truck cooled me very adequately on that day, as did my diesel truck.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:21 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
The chest beating around here is getting a bit ridiculous.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:28 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird
What happened to the 6.2 vrs. 7.3 topic? HIJACKED

Old 02-13-2019, 11:33 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
^^^^^^^^ I can certainly understand your perspective and respect that. On the other hand I have extensive experience with many vehicles sitting in the desert at well over 100 degrees for several hours at idle at a time. WITH ALL DUE RESPECT you have no idea what goes on under the hood in these conditions unless you have had to do it not to mention sustained winds at 30 to 60 mph. There is a reason out there you hardly ever see 3/4 ton trucks that are gas in the oilfield there and yes see .5 ton trucks all the time for works going to a rig to work for example. The Raptor would not unless you were driving it around blow COLD air even on recirc which is a given out there. After sitting at idle the AC air temp when it was 105 to 110 would eventually go up to 70 or so now the temps would come down to 60 or so if you barely touch the accelerator to force a 11 to 12 hundred rpm idle but that is problematic and a pain. The temps on the radiator would also climb not to overheat but still climb to hotter than normal driving down the highway at 70.

The diesels albeit the Cummins I have had several were good BUT the 6.7 Ford has exceeded my expectations exponentially in this regard. Example of temps is oil. On the road in 110 temps the oil temp runs 210 to 220 at 70-75 or so running empty. Sitting at idle in those same temps it stays around 180 no more. Imagine it also has to do with the compressor spinning speed as well however, this is the first truck I have ever owned that CANNOT be run on max ac and max fan in these conditions because you will be uncomfortable.

You may not buy it but let me know if you are ever going to be in far S/E NM (will be there next Mon-Thurs tomorrows forecast 81 high 20-30 west wind gusts to 40) but it is not going to be hot lol and you can see for yourself. Sometimes that is what it takes to understand something you have never experienced and all things aside on this new gas motor if it does not have the structured cooling system like the 6.7 and just has with the conventional set up like the current gas Ford truck motors I will just have to keep my oil burner. After thinking about this the Cummins I have had 2 different ones out there one the old 5.9 would blow cold to cool after a while but nothing like the 6.7 Ford does.

There has to be someone else on this board that has to idle for hours in high desert temps that has some experience with this.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:14 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
There has to be someone else on this board that has to idle for hours in high desert temps that has some experience with this.
I've lots of experience with having to idle diesels in frigid Arctic temps just to keep them running and to have any chance at having a warm cab. The Interior of Alaska is technically an Arctic desert - does that count?

Old 02-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
I've lots of experience with having to idle diesels in frigid Arctic temps just to keep them running and to have any chance at having a warm cab. The Interior of Alaska is technically an Arctic desert - does that count?
Sorry I will not trade with you! Heat is easy to deal with 50 below and more Nope not this Texas boy!!!

Old 02-13-2019, 12:48 PM
Mkos1980
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I do hope the 7.3 gets some sort of badging....

Old 02-13-2019, 01:44 PM
troverman
Hotshot
^^^^^^^^ I can certainly understand your perspective and respect that. On the other hand I have extensive experience with many vehicles sitting in the desert at well over 100 degrees for several hours at idle at a time. WITH ALL DUE RESPECT you have no idea what goes on under the hood in these conditions unless you have had to do it not to mention sustained winds at 30 to 60 mph. There is a reason out there you hardly ever see 3/4 ton trucks that are gas in the oilfield there and yes see .5 ton trucks all the time for works going to a rig to work for example. The Raptor would not unless you were driving it around blow COLD air even on recirc which is a given out there. After sitting at idle the AC air temp when it was 105 to 110 would eventually go up to 70 or so now the temps would come down to 60 or so if you barely touch the accelerator to force a 11 to 12 hundred rpm idle but that is problematic and a pain. The temps on the radiator would also climb not to overheat but still climb to hotter than normal driving down the highway at 70.

The diesels albeit the Cummins I have had several were good BUT the 6.7 Ford has exceeded my expectations exponentially in this regard. Example of temps is oil. On the road in 110 temps the oil temp runs 210 to 220 at 70-75 or so running empty. Sitting at idle in those same temps it stays around 180 no more. Imagine it also has to do with the compressor spinning speed as well however, this is the first truck I have ever owned that CANNOT be run on max ac and max fan in these conditions because you will be uncomfortable.

You may not buy it but let me know if you are ever going to be in far S/E NM (will be there next Mon-Thurs tomorrows forecast 81 high 20-30 west wind gusts to 40) but it is not going to be hot lol and you can see for yourself. Sometimes that is what it takes to understand something you have never experienced and all things aside on this new gas motor if it does not have the structured cooling system like the 6.7 and just has with the conventional set up like the current gas Ford truck motors I will just have to keep my oil burner. After thinking about this the Cummins I have had 2 different ones out there one the old 5.9 would blow cold to cool after a while but nothing like the 6.7 Ford does.

I appreciate the cordial conversation. You are talking about two different things - the cooling system's ability to cool the engine vs the A/C system's ability to cool that cabin. How hot the engine's oil or coolant might be is completely irrelevant. You have to remember the truck's A/C condenser is *in front* of all the other radiators and coolers. So whatever is going on behind that doesn't matter. Now, a fan's ability to draw ambient outside air across the condenser is important...and if the diesel truck's A/C truly does outperform the gas truck's A/C then the engine fan would be the culprit and have nothing to do with the engine itself. The evaporator and blower system inside the dash is identical between gas and diesel.

The 6.7L Ford has a higher heat load than the gas 6.2L for sure, and actually has a higher heat load than the Cummins or a Duramax. This is why it has one of the most complex cooling systems of any vehicle on the road, as you know, with dual radiators, four thermostats, two water pumps, and two degas bottles...with the primary and secondary cooling systems being completely separated and operating at two different temperatures. The Cummins probably has the biggest advantage because it has the best chance of cooling air flowing down the sides of the engine. But all of this is still irrelevant to A/C performance.

Regarding the 7.3L, you will see a very conventional cooling system with one radiator, one water pump, and one thermostat. The name of the game is reliability and durability. Don't get me wrong, I love the complexity of the 6.7L Ford's cooling system, but it opens up the opportunity for a lot more to go wrong.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:38 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by troverman
I appreciate the cordial conversation. You are talking about two different things - the cooling system's ability to cool the engine vs the A/C system's ability to cool that cabin. How hot the engine's oil or coolant might be is completely irrelevant. You have to remember the truck's A/C condenser is *in front* of all the other radiators and coolers. So whatever is going on behind that doesn't matter. Now, a fan's ability to draw ambient outside air across the condenser is important...and if the diesel truck's A/C truly does outperform the gas truck's A/C then the engine fan would be the culprit and have nothing to do with the engine itself. The evaporator and blower system inside the dash is identical between gas and diesel.

The 6.7L Ford has a higher heat load than the gas 6.2L for sure, and actually has a higher heat load than the Cummins or a Duramax. This is why it has one of the most complex cooling systems of any vehicle on the road, as you know, with dual radiators, four thermostats, two water pumps, and two degas bottles...with the primary and secondary cooling systems being completely separated and operating at two different temperatures. The Cummins probably has the biggest advantage because it has the best chance of cooling air flowing down the sides of the engine. But all of this is still irrelevant to A/C performance.

Regarding the 7.3L, you will see a very conventional cooling system with one radiator, one water pump, and one thermostat. The name of the game is reliability and durability. Don't get me wrong, I love the complexity of the 6.7L Ford's cooling system, but it opens up the opportunity for a lot more to go wrong.
Well I still do not think you are understanding the fundamental difference in the Diesel and the Gasoline engines in a no load idle scenario such as I am describing. I will just have to agree to disagree with you on this because it is a fundamental difference in the two different types of engines. At idle there is no load to speak of on a diesel because of precise direct injection of 0nly the amount of fuel needed. Gasoline engines on the other hand will generate more heat at idle. This is why if a diesel is overheating you let it idle at no load and a gasoline engine given the same circumstances will not cool down as much or as fast. Point is perfectly illustrated in cold weather when trying to get a diesel engine to warm up at idle vs a gas engine part of this is with a diesel the stoichiometric ratio is not as important as a gas motor at idle and no load. A lot of this has to do with heat generated during the combustion process with a diesel vs a gas motor low compression and spark plug. You can do the research and learn about all of this however, it also suffices to say that in 110 ambient there is a starkly apparent difference in the temperature of the engine bay (heat soak of every component) of a diesel and a gasoline truck after idling for a couple of hours.

LOL with the gas trucks including my Raptor would turn them into the wind if it was blowing and sometimes open the hood to let some of the heat escape. I know you never have experienced any of this but believe me it happens. This will be my last post on this specific issue hopefully someone else can come along and explain to you why the diesel engine at idle generates so little heat load and it in turn helps the AC systems work better in this specific operating situation. Maybe our friend from Alaska can explain it.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:54 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Dave, Dave, Dave...why do you think the amount of heat the engine generates has any bearing on how cold the A/C system is? As I said before...the A/C condenser is located directly behind the grille. All the radiators and other coolers are located behind it. As is the engine which is making heat.

i don't mean any disrespect and I think we're having a good, interesting conversation here.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:08 PM
Crabbman P
More Turbo
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
Old 02-13-2019, 03:25 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
The a/c on my gas V10 works well even into the 100-110 range. Idling, driving, it doesn't matter. I've been in some pretty hot situations idling for a long time waiting at boat ramps and have never noticed a cooling issue.

I don't understand the issue here unless a truck with low freon is getting compared to a fully functioning system.

Regardless, you can rest assured the 7.3 a/c will work great!

Old 02-13-2019, 05:10 PM
Tranz zam
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyinTN
So much depends on:
Option cost of the 7.3
How much more HP and torque.

In a heavy truck you would be hard pressed to notice 40-50 hp and torque by the old butt dyno. More, and you can tell. But what does more cost? Maybe Ford is holding the option hostage to Limited or Platinum levels?
Time will tell.
Hard pressed to notice 50hp?

lol

Old 02-13-2019, 05:17 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,708 Likes on 1,318 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
What happened to the 6.2 vrs. 7.3 topic? HIJACKED

Diesel guys love to come into gasser threads and crap all over them.

"Durrr...I have diesel...I have all the torques..Nanna-nanna-boo-boo...I have gooder reseale...durrrrr!"

Quick Reply: 7.3L kill resale value of 6.2L