7.3L / 6.8L V8 Gasoline Engines Discuss the new 7.3 and 6.8L Gasoline V8s

7.3L kill resale value of 6.2L

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Dentside
Mountain Pass
Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
Powertrain warranty is only 5 years or 60,000 miles. Majority of the time, by the time warranty expires is when expensive problems start to happen. So would you rather cough up several thousand to fix a one or two things on a PowerStroke or several thousand to just about rebuild the gas engine?.
So you're saying most gas engines are going to need rebuilt after 60k? This isn't 1950.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:20 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Dentside
So you're saying most gas engines are going to need rebuilt after 60k? This isn't 1950.
I don’t think he’s saying that, but the likelihood of something going wrong with the Gasser in the 40k after 60k to match the 100k warranty with the Diesel is a lot less likely than something going wrong with the diesel between 60k and 100k under warranty. And I’ve owned three 7.3L’s, four 6.0L’s, two 6.4L’s, and two 6.7L’s. Not one gave me an ounce of trouble to and past 100k.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
Warranty is 100k miles on the diesel, only 60k for the gasser.
AND---------If GM and Ram stopped so would Ford lol...……. Engines do not worry me--it is everything else including the horridly expensive electronics!!

Old 02-09-2019, 06:31 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Why do the diesel lovers have to Allways come to a gas thread and Try to convince everybody to either stay with or switch to diesel. I’ve yet to see a gas motor guy going to diesel thread , we just don’t bother because we’re confident in our decisions we don’t need to convince anybody. I am fully convinced diesel people are very insecure and need to have reinforcement for their very expensive purchase. There’s no other way to explain it.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:48 PM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 314 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
Why do the diesel lovers have to Allways come to a gas thread and Try to convince everybody to either stay with or switch to diesel. I’ve yet to see a gas motor guy going to diesel thread , we just don’t bother because we’re confident in our decisions we don’t need to convince anybody. I am fully convinced diesel people are very insecure and need to have reinforcement for their very expensive purchase. There’s no other way to explain it.
Good point, I agree. And I owned a diesel previously. Thread was about 2 gas motors and they just couldn’t stay quiet. Lol
Flame on!

Old 02-09-2019, 07:07 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyinTN

Good point, I agree. And I owned a diesel previously. Thread was about 2 gas motors and they just couldn’t stay quiet. Lol
Flame on!
I started to think, “What the $&@#% are they taking about? I merely said a diesel is more likely to have an expensive issue between 60k and 100k under warranty rather than the gasser at the same interval while out of warranty”. Then I scrolled back to see I missed the Diesel chest pounding. Just like the guys crapping on the first release of the EcoBoost with “There is no replacement for displacement “ bullshoot. Im a diesel guy, and I’m looking forward to this 7.3L more than any truck news in years. Maybe some Peterbuilt 579 guys or similar should advise the 6.7 owners how underpowered their trucks are. 😜

Old 02-09-2019, 08:41 PM
someday
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
ford release the godzilla numbers already

Old 02-09-2019, 09:19 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I agree. I've even heard people say that a heavy duty truck without a diesel engine is a waste of money. Not everyone wants or needs a diesel engine, that's what big block has engines are for. I'll take the$9k I saved by sticking with the gas and put it towards something useful.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:45 AM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Received 273 Likes on 188 Posts
Why do the diesel lovers have to always come to a gas thread and Try to convince everybody to either stay with or switch to diesel. I’ve yet to see a gas motor guy going to diesel thread , we just don’t bother because we’re confident in our decisions we don’t need to convince anybody. I am fully convinced diesel people are very insecure and need to have reinforcement for their very expensive purchase. There’s no other way to explain it.
This does seem to be the case.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:45 AM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by someday
ford release the godzilla numbers already
Where???

Old 02-10-2019, 09:08 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
Originally Posted by h20camper
This does seem to be the case.
A lot of people like myself take exception to the fact that gassers default to the notion that only idiots spend the extra $9000 and the 6.2 is fine for ‘most’ applications, and that the diesel is corroding technology plagued with issues when in fact it’s completely the opposite.

But it I think the biggest reason there seems to be jabs back and forth is that this website combines both diesel and gassers into the same year appropriate forum instead of relegating gassers to a gas only forum like the other sites do(did).

Old 02-10-2019, 09:20 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Well you might be incorrect on your assumption about oil burner owners. I have owned if I have counted right 11 counting this one and even more gassers. I have the 2018 6.7 now and if the 7.3 will fit my needs waiting to see the cooling system because I spend a lot of time in 110 plus idling for hours at a time I will switch especially with the new 10 speed tranny. Unlike some folks it is not about money and ego for me it is the application and is it the best fit for my needs.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:38 AM
FractureCritical
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zeroo

diesel is corroding technology plagued with issues when in fact it’s completely the opposite.
I’m willing to give you a chance to explain how it is completely the opposite. I’ve had such miserable experiences with modern Diesel engines that I’m willing to hear a rational counter point, but my anecdotal first hand dealings strongly lean to ‘never again’ when it comes to oil burners.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by FractureCritical

I’m willing to give you a chance to explain how it is completely the opposite. I’ve had such miserable experiences with modern Diesel engines that I’m willing to hear a rational counter point, but my anecdotal first hand dealings strongly lean to ‘never again’ when it comes to oil burners.
This will be a very technical/detailed answer if done correctly discussing the higher pressure fuel delivery just for example. Going to take some effort for someone to do it though... Any takers for the White Paper?????

Old 02-10-2019, 10:01 AM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Why do the diesel lovers have to always come to a gas thread and Try to convince everybody to either stay with or switch to diesel. I’ve yet to see a gas motor guy going to diesel thread ......
I should have paraphrased Robert's statement to my intention. I have done so.

.....the notion that only idiots spend the extra $9000.....
I don't think this at all. There is certainly justification for purchasing the diesel.

But it I think the biggest reason there seems to be jabs back and forth is that this website combines both diesel and gassers into the same year appropriate forum instead of relegating gassers to a gas only forum like the other sites do(did).
Again, I was only agreeing to the statement above regardless of the forum structure. You are right if segregated, thread exposure wouldn't be readily visible.

Quick Reply: 7.3L kill resale value of 6.2L