7.3L / 6.8L V8 Gasoline Engines Discuss the new 7.3 and 6.8L Gasoline V8s

7.3L kill resale value of 6.2L

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 05:22 PM
chukeeee
Mountain Pass
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
I had an ‘82 f250 with the 300, once it was out of warranty, changed the cam, put Clifford headers and intake, with a Holley 390 4 barrel on it. It would run circles around the ‘88 f250hd with the 351 that I bought to replace it

Old 02-06-2019, 06:17 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Originally Posted by acadianbob
Sadly, pricing won't be about manufacturing cost. It'll be about "what the market will bear".

I agree that a 7.3 will likely reduce payload vs the 6.2, but it will be better than a diesel in that regard. I bought an F250 because I wanted the G transmission with the 6.2 and payload was fine in that combination. But the 7.3 will have the 10 speed and then an F350 would make good sense as you point out. More payload and transmission is not a factor. (But then, there are plenty of F250 diesels out there. Go figure.)
Originally Posted by rfbrain
I doubt there will be any weight penalty with the 7.3, the weight savings between an OHC and a OHV Pushrod engine is significant.
The 10 spd is 3.5 lbs heavier than the 6 spd. Engine will be more, but not a significant amount.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:50 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Retiredout
Each of the big three just keeps trying to get one up on the other when it comes to torque and horsepower. Maybe all three will stop and say enough is enough when one of them can pull a house off of its foundation with their truck. It is kinda strange when you think about a 8,000 pound truck trying to stop a 20,000 pound RV going down a hill.
I don’t think the 7.3L is trying to outpower or out torque, but fill a neglected niche with a new offering. We NEED a powerful gas motor with good fuel economy! Is it strange that two locomotives stop 250+ railway cars on steel with poir friction, or a semi cab stops a loaded trailer carrying 4x its weight? It’s done every day, right?

Old 02-07-2019, 05:56 AM
7591250sd
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WyoBull
Funny reading how you guys talk like the 6.2 is dead. Up until it was announced the 6.2 was a great gas engine and all of a sudden its not? Give me a break. I've had two of them now and they have plenty of power to fill the niche they are in and at a premium price for the 7.3, I just don't see people swarming for it and leaving the 6.2 behind. The 6.2 is not like the 5.4 that was incredibly underpowered for how they were trying to market it in the Super Duty. I would buy another 6.2 today and would do the same 5 years from now.
Yea,, when the 302 came out - the 289 engines didn't suddenly self destruct, I've not seen to many unhappy 6.2 owners on the 6.2 forum. Also - the hp/torque rumors - at what RPM's are these at?

Old 02-07-2019, 05:59 AM
catrasca
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 7591250sd
Yea,, when the 302 came out - the 289 engines didn't suddenly self destruct, I've not seen to many unhappy 6.2 owners on the 6.2 forum. Also - the hp/torque rumors - at what RPM's are these at?
At rumored RPMs 😂

Old 02-07-2019, 06:11 AM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by maypo59
I don't care what anybody thinks.. Poser.. bro dozer ..wannabe.. whatever.. I just know I want one.

From some stuff I have read in the last year or so.. it sounds to me like the EPA is working as hard as they can to kill the diesel in any format. Ford, like everybody else, has to be ready with a plan.. I want it to be a EB 6.2... But I doubt that is going to happen.. LOL
Agree 100%. The EPA wants so bad to kill diesel. And a 6.2 with twin turbos would be unbelievably sweet. Likely never going to be with the new 7.3 coming out. That threw a monkey wrench in everything I was planning.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:12 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T diesel
I'd say the impact on the diesel will be far more than the 6.2.
Time will tell......
Ford can and will easily control this. They will only allow X of these to be produced a year. It is all about product mix.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:22 AM
dtaylor1
Senior User
Does anyone think the new 10 speed will have start and stop like the F150? That might be the difference in MPG to the 6.2L motor. Plus people like me ordered the 6.2 with 4:30 gears. Maybe we could get the same performance with 3:73 with the bigger motor..

Old 02-07-2019, 06:36 AM
catrasca
Senior User
Power with “decent” fuel economy requires turbos. I’d like to buy a large displacement engine with twin turbos making big torque numbers and decent HP.

Personally, I don’t care about MPGs. If I did, I’d probably be driving a Tacoma. My SD is a toy/toy hauler. Our 2018 Land Cruiser does about the same MPG than the F250. I understand how someone working a truck would focus on lowering operating costs through MPG improvements.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:39 AM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
Yep now it is unknown how the new drivetrain will perform and whether or not the loss in resale on a 6.2 drivetrain will be worth the hit. OR just don't worry about it and get whatever it is that REALLY fits the application? Probably the right answer there. Say I know I really want to get rid of the fifth wheel and never have one again, I want to lift and do a proper suspension, run 37s, possible 4.88s, and keep the truck till I die, then well it really does make sense to get a 6.2 with great incentives because then resale becomes a non-issue. Proven engine and transmission, lower entry cost, and fits what I want to do with the truck. SO I think it really boils down to carefully honestly deciding on the application and what really fits. Now if one of those that trades in every two years, that changes everything.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:46 AM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
Originally Posted by catrasca
Power with “decent” fuel economy requires turbos. I’d like to buy a large displacement engine with twin turbos making big torque numbers and decent HP.

Personally, I don’t care about MPGs. If I did, I’d probably be driving a Tacoma. My SD is a toy/toy hauler. Our 2018 Land Cruiser does about the same MPG than the F250. I understand how someone working a truck would focus on lowering operating costs through MPG improvements.
Obviously this would be the ultimate solution and will never happen. Canibalizes the diesel sales. To do it aftermarket, would require tuning to alter fuel control algorithms as the 6.2 is a DI motor? I thought the new 7.3 gasser is a DI also?

Old 02-07-2019, 06:50 AM
Evergreen03
Senior User
Originally Posted by llmflyfisher
Yep now it is unknown how the new drivetrain will perform and whether or not the loss in resale on a 6.2 drivetrain will be worth the hit. OR just don't worry about it and get whatever it is that REALLY fits the application? Probably the right answer there. Say I know I really want to get rid of the fifth wheel and never have one again, I want to lift and do a proper suspension, run 37s, possible 4.88s, and keep the truck till I die, then well it really does make sense to get a 6.2 with great incentives because then resale becomes a non-issue. Proven engine and transmission, lower entry cost, and fits what I want to do with the truck. SO I think it really boils down to carefully honestly deciding on the application and what really fits. Now if one of those that trades in every two years, that changes everything.
Would you still buy a 2019 with good incentives if you knew you would upgrade for a 2021?

Old 02-07-2019, 07:10 AM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke
Ford can and will easily control this. They will only allow X of these to be produced a year. It is all about product mix.
Or they'll tune in the price of the upgrade. My guess is the cost will be at least 5k for that engine.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:16 AM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
Originally Posted by Evergreen03

Would you still buy a 2019 with good incentives if you knew you would upgrade for a 2021?
Depending on current vehicle and urgency to trade off, probably not. To me it is more dependent on what I really need the truck for. Someone who is going to be really towing fairly heavy a lot would have to decide on the 7.3 vs the diesel, and for a lot of guys that 7.3 is going to be the absolute right choice. For those who are not going to be towing a lot or not real super heavy, the 6.2 is more than sufficient especially with the 4.30 axles. For those who trade in every two years, absolutely get the new drivetrain. The only thing that makes sense. Plus there is the unknown first year for new stuff syndrome. Who knows how it will play out? No track record yet. So be the guinea pig. Or not.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:18 AM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
Rhetorical question: Is the new drivetrain going to be worth a $5k adder on cost?

Quick Reply: 7.3L kill resale value of 6.2L