Notices
General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15w40 vs sae40 cold pour points

Old 02-04-2019, 11:00 AM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
15w40 vs sae40 cold pour points

So for a long long long time now, gas passenger vehicles I've had got 15w40, and I've never had anything negative to say about it, other than an accidental over fill once and dirty buildup on spark plugs. Kept hearing how gas engine oils are getting crappier and crappier and less and less anti wear additives, so thought let's try diesel motor oil. So 15w40 for a long time now and works just great. I buy the 20liter pails from Walmart. 47$ cad$.

anyways, I changed the oil on my idi a few weeks back, and ran out of oil. I had a pail of sae40 that i use for little air cooled gas engines in summer, so I just used that for half of my oil change. At -20 outside (oil stored in unheated garage) the sae 40 seemed to pour a little faster than the 15w40 🤔
Just wondering if anyone has anything interesting to comment on that.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:16 PM
carbonation
Junior User
carbonation is starting off with a positive reputation.
You are probably correct, but it would take a bit of research to bear it out.
Delo 30 weight has been a very strong contender in the straight weight ring forever. It's just an excellent oil. If you check the specs on it, it really behaves like a 15w30, but Chevron won't market it that way for whatever reason. Could be it isn't really tested for it, could be it has it's place in their lineup. Delo did/does offer a 15w30 Severe Duty that, on paper looks a lot like their straight weight offering.
I would not be a bit surprised if you found that the straight 40 weight has some characteristics of the 15w40, except for cold temperature flow or pumpability.
If you never hit temps that require it, a straight weight can give better performance than some 15w40 as far as shear and stay in grade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: