Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

78 Cummins IC + AC Condensor + Hood Latch = Holy Grail

Old 02-03-2019, 10:19 PM
bk0005
New User
bk0005 is starting off with a positive reputation.
78 Cummins IC + AC Condensor + Hood Latch = Holy Grail

Getting started on my 78 F250 CC Cummins build but the AC condenser has me stumped. I currently have 460 radiator, and 7.3L Intercooler sucked up into the core support, and trying to see how to get an AC condenser in front of it is tough. I can see why others who have done this go with hood pins, but I am trying to stay with stock hood latch. Anyone has any good ideas or pics, sure would appreciate it.

1. Maybe cut the radiator bracket and cut core support around intercooler and possibly could recess it another inch. I think that might leave me enough room for a decent size condenser with trimming the 78-79 grill insert.
2. Also thought I read that the earlier 12 valves had a shorter fan clutch, that might give me some more room. I set motor where currently have 1" clearance from fan blade to radiator.
3. I might see if electric fans might buy me some more room also.
4. Vintage air sells a remote condenser with electric fan. I don't like this as it seems anywhere I would mount it would suck for dissipating heat.

Been searching for quite a while but have not seen this set up dialed in yet.

Thanks,

Old 02-10-2019, 11:31 PM
bk0005
New User
Well screw it, I cut the cross member up some more, pushed radiator 1" off fan, made some new mounts and it seems to have gained quite a bit more room. Need to learn how to tig weld aluminium real quick and make some new mounts for intercooler. Then I can finally get to the AC condenser and hood latch.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:10 AM
alans77crew
Senior User
alans77crew is starting off with a positive reputation.
Electric fans DON'T DO IT!!!!!! I ran them with mine had 2 rated at 2400cfm each and about melted down the cummins on first long pull. I put my inter cooler on the inside with the rad it is a ford Power stroke inter cooler and then mounted the condenser outside that. as for the fan I used the cummins clutch with a 400 fan blade had to take a 1/4'' off the blade to get it to clear the crank pulley and re balance it, No more heating issues after that. Also you might try and find a bus exhaust manifold it turns the turbo up or down 90 degrees used that on mine to clear the evap and heater core box.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:57 PM
bk0005
New User

Awesome, thanks for the tip on the fan blade will run that down. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.