1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Adjusting a 2 Barrel carburetor

Old 02-03-2019, 05:09 PM
Gerardo Vicente
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjusting a 2 Barrel carburetor

1966 ford f100 352 fe .Does anything need to be adjusted on my stock 2 Barrel carburetor when i installed a pair of new exhaust headers? Does timing need to be adjusted also ?

Old 02-05-2019, 11:16 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 238 Likes on 183 Posts
Welcome to FTE Gerardo, not necessarily, but it never hurts to check it, I would check your timing, then vacuum gauge your carb, not sure where you're at, but here I had to account for elev. when I first moved up, I was tuning my 66 w/300, kinda wigged out because I had lost some vacuum, did some reading and duh,,,

Old 02-05-2019, 11:49 AM
RattyFord
Senior User
I adjusted to vacuum on my 289 once I added headers, and you may even want to change the power valve if the change is big enough. Are you looking for a procedure to make these adjustments? I don't want to make an assumption on what you do or do not know.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Gerardo Vicente
New User
Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2
Welcome to FTE Gerardo, not necessarily, but it never hurts to check it, I would check your timing, then vacuum gauge your carb, not sure where you're at, but here I had to account for elev. when I first moved up, I was tuning my 66 w/300, kinda wigged out because I had lost some vacuum, did some reading and duh,,,
Thanks. Also thank you for your response. I'm working on my and learning how to fix it using YouTube videos. So far i have installed a long list of parts like valve cover gaskets, radius arm bushings, pivot axle bushings, all four shocks , fuel pump, and a rag joint steering coupler. I don't understand how to set my timing on the truck. A video is not much help for me on that.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:26 PM
Gerardo Vicente
New User
Originally Posted by RattyFord
I adjusted to vacuum on my 289 once I added headers, and you may even want to change the power valve if the change is big enough. Are you looking for a procedure to make these adjustments? I don't want to make an assumption on what you do or do not know.
Thanks for your help. It's much appreciated.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Free Carburetor Manuals

Ignition & Ignition timing has a direct effect on carburetor tuning & operation, make sure that everything is straight before making final carburetor adjustments. This means ensuring there is a good hot spark at the plugs. A mechanic's vacuum gauge is extremely useful for engine diagnostics, carburetor tuning, and fuel pump testing. I would not attempt a tune-up without it. They are inexpensive. It's important that the power valve for example is correctly sized for the application & elevation. A modified engine with performance camshaft or operating at higher altitudes requires a correction factor, the stock power valve supplied with most carburetors and kits will not work correctly.

Carburetors are kind of interesting, it's possible a jet size change is needed with headers or dual exhaust though it's not a certainty. The only way to be sure is to measure the AFR. Increased velocity or scavenging may simply pull more fuel from the well depending on carburetor venturi size, making it a wash. Better breathing also means you can use a larger carburetor for better performance though this doesn't mean the jet size changes.

Make sure the distributor mechanical advance operates smoothly up and down the RPM range and reaches the specified advance. This is usually around 36° or so BTDC without vacuum advance connected. Make sure the vacuum advance diaphragm doesn't leak when it is connected, and the breaker plate moves smoothly.

What I'm getting at, other engine defects will make carburetor tuning difficult or impossible and the usual result is the mechanic tries to "tune around" the problem with the carburetor to compensate. The manuals are free to download and will cover far more than anybody wants to type out. A little time spent on setup and adjustment with attention to detail will be well rewarded.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:03 PM
Gerardo Vicente
New User
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Free Carburetor Manuals

Ignition & Ignition timing has a direct effect on carburetor tuning & operation, make sure that it's straight before making final carburetor adjustments. This means a good hot spark at the plugs. A mechanic's vacuum gauge is extremely useful for engine diagnostics, carburetor tuning, and fuel pump testing. They are inexpensive. It's important that the power valve for example is correctly sized for the application & elevation. A modified engine with performance camshaft or operating at higher altitudes requires a correction factor.

Make sure the distributor mechanical advance operates smoothly up and down the RPM range and reaches the specified advance. This is usually around 36° or so BTDC without vacuum advance connected. Make sure the vacuum advance diaphragm doesn't leak when it is connected and moves smoothly. Manuals are free to download and will cover far more than anybody wants to type out. A little time spent on setup and adjustment with attention to detail will be well rewarded.

Thanks for the input. I will have to read a lot more on using a vacuum gauge.