Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Ajar....ughhhh

Old 02-18-2019, 01:40 PM
unleashd
Posting Guru
unleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by charles adams View Post
I have a habit of manually hitting the door lock button before I close the door. When I do this, all locks function as normal and lock. But, about 2 seconds after hitting the button, the drivers door unlocks itself. At that point I can manually push the plunger down to lock it or use the remote.
Could I have a bad door sensor at my drivers door? I know the actuator functions properly.
I think that is the standard function to prevent you from locking yourself out. Mine does the same.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)
Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
WD-40 and go to town. spray so much that it's running out the bottom of the door seam. cycle the mechanism with a screwdriver...alot...more spray. get every crevice in the latch mechanism. they were sticky when new(ish). only gotten worse in last 15+yrs

if you can rule out that it's not mechanical, test the doors using the battery saver function. someone above alluded to it. but it's 10 minutes vice 20.
1. Open 1 door only. verify interior lights come on.
2. shut that door. verify interior lights extinguish within 1 minute. go ahead and wait 10 minutes to be extra sure (battery saver will cut power at 10 minutes)
3. repeat steps 1&2 for every door until you've tested all 5
4. Any door that results in the interior lights not cutting off within 1 minute has a latch issue
5. more WD-40 on affected doors and manual cycling
6. remove the actual mechanism from the door
6a. more WD-40 and manual cycling
6b. replace (the new part includes the latch indicator...so 2 birds 1 stone really if the electrics have broken.
7. if you have ruled out everything, then check your windshield for leaks. 00-01 models have a GSM. 02+ models have a VSM. the windshield can leak onto them and/or the fuse box. the leakage/corrosion can give you indications of a bad door sensor. you'll likely know you have a leaky windshield though. because the rig will be very odd whenever it rains and other gremlins will show their face.

Originally Posted by charles adams View Post
I have a habit of manually hitting the door lock button before I close the door. When I do this, all locks function as normal and lock. But, about 2 seconds after hitting the button, the drivers door unlocks itself. At that point I can manually push the plunger down to lock it or use the remote.
Could I have a bad door sensor at my drivers door? I know the actuator functions properly.
Originally Posted by unleashd View Post
I think that is the standard function to prevent you from locking yourself out. Mine does the same.
neither my 2000 or my 2002 did that. weird

Old 02-18-2019, 02:37 PM
BatteriesNotIncluded
Senior User
BatteriesNotIncluded is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Tylus View Post
WD-40 and go to town.
Yep, yep, yep.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:25 PM
my3sonsdad
Junior User
my3sonsdad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Another X (mine) joins the “door ajar” club
I love this forum!

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.