Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Dropped camper on Truck ,Bottomed out front leafs

Old 02-06-2019, 08:27 AM
RaymondIV
Senior User
RaymondIV is starting off with a positive reputation.
Seems to me there WAS a front air bag kit, but that was way back then. Hard to say if they're still available.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:25 PM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RaymondIV View Post
Seems to me there WAS a front air bag kit, but that was way back then. Hard to say if they're still available.
https://www.amazon.ca/Firestone-W217602223-Ride-Rite-Front-F-250/dp/B000CMIV48

personally I'd try the air shocks first. I think they can provide over 1000 lbs of lift and way less cost and work.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:09 AM
DarkOverCast
Elder User
DarkOverCast is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by parkland View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/Firestone-W217602223-Ride-Rite-Front-F-250/dp/B000CMIV48

personally I'd try the air shocks first. I think they can provide over 1000 lbs of lift and way less cost and work.
Wouldn't this kit interfere with the shock location/mount? I guess you could delete it

Old 02-07-2019, 10:49 AM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DarkOverCast View Post
Wouldn't this kit interfere with the shock location/mount? I guess you could delete it
I cant remember now, but I know one of the kits had a weird relocation bracket.
I'd honestly try the air shocks first. Cheap and simple. If they don't work, it's not much of a loss financially or otherwise.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:45 PM
norm805
Senior User
norm805 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for all the input and ideas . I had already bought the new 3486lb springs $330 delivered . My original have a negative bend in them. Have a buddy with a shop said it would take him 2-3 hrs to install. See how it goes ,I'll report back when they are installed.
The front air bags do sound like the best approach though, the back ones have been great for 14yrs.
Thank again ----Norm

Old 02-09-2019, 09:35 AM
parkland
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by norm805 View Post
Thanks for all the input and ideas . I had already bought the new 3486lb springs $330 delivered . My original have a negative bend in them. Have a buddy with a shop said it would take him 2-3 hrs to install. See how it goes ,I'll report back when they are installed.
The front air bags do sound like the best approach though, the back ones have been great for 14yrs.
Thank again ----Norm
330 bucks sounds like a bargain, I think mine were close to 800.
they all have a negative bend though.
I tried to find the picture but I cant, but I had my "old worn bagged out" spring next to my brand new one, and they were identical. Like maybe 1/8" different.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:46 PM
norm805
Senior User
Yeah $330 General Spring in Kansas. Don't know if they are from U.S. or China but they got here quick. Going to put them on with some new shocks on Tuesday. See how it goes, The air bags were probably the way to go but ordered the springs too fast .

Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 PM
norm805
Senior User
Hi again, reporting in on the new leaf spring install. There is a big difference truck sits higher in the front and drives more solid and not too stiff. Seams very positive, I was a little worried it would be a waste of time & money but am happy with the results.
Thanks---- Norm

Old 02-13-2019, 07:06 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
Yeah when parts are just worn out,doing anything other than replacing them is just a band-aid.I'm glad to see you fixed it properly.
Happy truckin'.
First stop with the new setup? Crater Lake National Park! ........Not very nice this time of year lol.I tried that a couple winters ago.Got skunked.Couldn't see the lake at all.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:55 PM
Romel77
Elder User
Romel77 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by norm805 View Post
Hi again, reporting in on the new leaf spring install. There is a big difference truck sits higher in the front and drives more solid and not too stiff. Seams very positive, I was a little worried it would be a waste of time & money but am happy with the results.
Thanks---- Norm
Norm, do you have a picture before and after? What is the distance from the bum stops now with the new springs? I have an idi in Europe and parts are hard to come by, plus shipping and duty make everything expensive.
Thanks
Jan

Old 02-21-2019, 11:48 AM
norm805
Senior User
Originally Posted by Romel77 View Post
Norm, do you have a picture before and after? What is the distance from the bum stops now with the new springs? I have an idi in Europe and parts are hard to come by, plus shipping and duty make everything expensive.
Thanks
Jan
Hi Jan, Before and after pics would have been a good idea, but....... no. There was only about a quarter to a half inch unloaded under the stops before, now a little more than an inch.
When driving the hood sure seems higher. Not sure if it's possible but the wheel wells look like they came up at least a couple inches.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:37 PM
Romel77
Elder User
Romel77 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks Norm, my bump stops are about 2-2.5 cm from the springs, I would have thought there should be at least over two inches travel, otherwise the ttb does not make much sense. I wanted to avoid buying springs, get them shipped, pay duty and tax and end up with something similar that I have. I think I will try rearching first, but I am a little skeptical to that. My problem is I cant find the actual height when the truck was new. I have bought the new bushings for the ttb but I kinda wait to solve the springs first. The truck for sure has a negative camber seing from front.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.