1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Batteries: Costco/Interstate vs. EastPenn AGM

Old 02-05-2019, 01:14 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,310 Likes on 1,739 Posts
Other popular and widely available battery brands that East Penn makes, and where they are sold:

- The Duracell brand batteries sold at Sam's Club East Penn Releases New Duracell Automotive Batteries - East Penn Manufacturing

- The Carquest brand batteries sold at Carquest http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/east-penn-receives-carquest-2005-vendor-year-award/

- The CAT brand batteries sold by Caterpillar: East Penn Honored as Certified Supplier to Caterpillar for the Fifteenth Year - East Penn Manufacturing

- The DieHard Gold AGM batteries sold at Sears: Sears Holdings has entered into a license agreement with East Penn Manufacturing to distribute DieHard Gold

This list isn't complete. I only posted a few popularly known brands, as examples.

Private label manufacturing usually involves cloaking the identity of the actual manufacturer, I'm guessing in order to confuse consumers.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:21 AM
Bobcatbob
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the date codes for a matched set.
Bring your volt meter to check for equal & low voltage.
My CAT dealer brought in some old stock & they were only 12.2 volts. Should of pasted on them.
My East Penn sawmill battery is over 12 years old & still works fine.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:37 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i think region has a lot to do with it too.
being in central california you probably do not get 1/4 the weather load on the batteries we get over hear in the north east.
Southern California so no weather comparatively; good point. But I probably get more heat than you do which does more damage to batteries, but during cold weather they're weaker. Cold here is 50, 40 is ludicrous, at 30 I call U-haul and find a new place to live.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:43 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Private label manufacturing usually involves cloaking the identity of the actual manufacturer, I'm guessing in order to confuse consumers.
https://www.shopify.com/encyclopedia/private-label

Old 02-05-2019, 08:42 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,078 Likes on 2,148 Posts
Originally Posted by '88 E-350
Southern California so no weather comparatively; good point. But I probably get more heat than you do which does more damage to batteries, but during cold weather they're weaker. Cold here is 50, 40 is ludicrous, at 30 I call U-haul and find a new place to live.
we get crazy weather here that kills batteries. today will be 65. Thursday is supposed to be 30.
last week it was sub zero for 4 days. the week before went from 71 to 21 in 8 hours. and in the summer it is not uncommon to see 90-100 degrees

Old 02-05-2019, 09:22 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
There's just too many choices in life...people are killing each other over it.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:36 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's what I posted in December 2018 in a similar thread.

" I agree with buying batteries at Costco. Where I'm from, 3 year full replacement warranty and pro-rated from year 4-10 after that. I just returned two pooched batteries for my diesel truck that were 4.5 years old and basically received two new replacements for the price of one brand new one (was $125 CDN or about USD $95). Can't beat that with a stick."

Old 02-05-2019, 10:01 AM
jsludlum2
Senior User
Originally Posted by sunuvabug
Here's what I posted in December 2018 in a similar thread.

" I agree with buying batteries at Costco. Where I'm from, 3 year full replacement warranty and pro-rated from year 4-10 after that. I just returned two pooched batteries for my diesel truck that were 4.5 years old and basically received two new replacements for the price of one brand new one (was $125 CDN or about USD $95). Can't beat that with a stick."

I totally agree with that, if you are a Costco member. The problem is that I am not, I use Amazon Prime for anything I buy in bulk, which I dont have to teach anyone is the reason to go to Costco. Additionally, none of the Costcos near me carry diesel fuel, so I wouldnt even be able to take advantage of their competitive prices at the pump.

I can get two of the CAT (EastPenn) batteries with the same CCA rating--granted, with a worse warranty; 24 months free replacement & 72 month pro-rated--for $292 (two batts) picked up from my local CAT dealer. The Costco Interstates out the door comes out to around $205. however, when you add in the $50 bucks for the membership, and then add up that membership over time, it really isnt worth it for me as someone who doesnt take advantage of the rest of what Costco has to offer.

thats just my thinking as of this moment.

So ultimately its between spending $350 for the AGM "Duracells" with Batteries Plus' 4 year free replacement or spending $292 for the "CAT" batteries....I am one indecisive SOB haha

I used "quotes" so we dont get another explanation that EastPenn manufactures both of these options lol

Old 02-05-2019, 10:11 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,131 Likes on 643 Posts
As to the weight question, i did notice a big weight difference when replacing Advance Auto's private label of their best teir batteries with Motorcraft maxx

Old 02-05-2019, 10:20 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jsludlum2, like you said in a previous post, you could ask your friend to purchase the batteries for you at Costco. There are no forms to fill out ... even when I exchanged them under the pro-rated warranty. In fact, my return/exchange experience was super smooth and hassle free (although I did have a photocopy of the original receipt in my glove box to make things go easier I guess).

The problem with having a friend buy them is if, for whatever reason, the friend is unable to or not around when you need to exchange them, you are euchred. But ... maybe with saving the bucks up front on the purchase price ... it doesn't matter. I too wish our local Costco carried diesel fuel which it doesn't. We've crunched the numbers and it still pays for us to have a Costco membership if only to save on gasoline for our other vehicle (about a 10% savings each fill-up usually ... translating into 5 additinoal fillups a year at $50 each). We don't do a lot of in-store shopping ... but you can save good coin there too on many items if you don't mind having lots of inventory ... .

Old 02-05-2019, 11:02 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,425 Likes on 2,833 Posts
I bought Northstar 930 CCA AGM batteries 1.5 years ago. They are incredibly strong and hold their charge very well.

They were expensive, but if they last at least 6 years, then I am even with 2 sets of LA batteries. Except I don't get stranded due to dead batteries and I don't have to find a warranty replacement store and I don't have to lift them in and out of the hood.

I am hoping for 10 years of service and plan to get Northstar AGM batteries for our other vehicles as their POS LA batteries die off.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:37 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i got my last set at costco andtheir warrenty is less then walmart batterys now.so next time its the 850cca 65 from walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-65n/20703125

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4340679/Costco_battery_warranty

Old 02-05-2019, 01:01 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by jsludlum2
I used "quotes" so we dont get another explanation that EastPenn manufactures both of these options lol
My brother and I are from the same parents and grew up in the same house till 16. We are completely different people. I get it that people want to best deal possible. They want to pay $50 or less for a $300 product so they hope for this familial thing to kick in and that East Penn will make the 1 battery and slap a different label onto it depending on where it goes to. That way they can buy the less known brand and still have all of the known good brand properties. Having some products that I handle being Private Label from a factory, I can tell people that they should not rely on "Oh, Johnson Controls makes most of the batteries so they are all the same.". Well, if it makes you sleep better at night, good for you. As they say "Buyer Beware". The shop might try pull that one on you so you don't buy the better ones. Usually, things that are cheaper are wanting.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:13 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,310 Likes on 1,739 Posts
Originally Posted by jsludlum2
so we dont get another explanation that EastPenn manufactures both of these options lol
Duly noted.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:35 PM
jsludlum2
Senior User
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Duly noted.
I meant no slight when I said that I just meant it as a joke really. i appreciated your post about batteries manufactured by EastPenn

Originally Posted by aklim
My brother and I are from the same parents and grew up in the same house till 16. We are completely different people. I get it that people want to best deal possible. They want to pay $50 or less for a $300 product so they hope for this familial thing to kick in and that East Penn will make the 1 battery and slap a different label onto it depending on where it goes to. That way they can buy the less known brand and still have all of the known good brand properties. Having some products that I handle being Private Label from a factory, I can tell people that they should not rely on "Oh, Johnson Controls makes most of the batteries so they are all the same.". Well, if it makes you sleep better at night, good for you. As they say "Buyer Beware". The shop might try pull that one on you so you don't buy the better ones. Usually, things that are cheaper are wanting.
Yeah its hard for the manufacturing thing not to be a main part of these battery discussions. I ultimately just wanted to get some feed back on AGM vs non-AGM, and get good value on what i bought. I dont mind spending more or less, to a degree (personally do not want to drop 600 bucks on batteries). I think the private labels and their manufacturers are worth discussing though, even if they arent the exact same thing. knowledge is power there a little bit.

still between the CAT batts and the Duracells. both good options just deciding between AGM or not

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Batteries: Costco/Interstate vs. EastPenn AGM