1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Mecha Mecca - Bringing the Stink back into our lives.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:55 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Since this rabbit hole has our feet in it, I live in a touristy-community. Sales tax brings a lot of revenue to the county and the state, and it hasn't chased anybody off. If there is something to see or do, the tourism isn't thwarted by sales tax. Washington and Oregon are decent comparisons, given their close proximity and their opposing policies on sales tax. Washington has more stuff to see and has a sales tax, where Oregon has no sales tax - feel free to look up the tourism statistics.

Based on my recent tour through a huge chunk of Montana, I see some similarities with Washington. They both have great tourism potential from the West to mid-state, but the east side is fit primarily for wheat farming and fast cars.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:40 PM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
Received 278 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
That would be cool! I should have the truck completely Stinkified by then, and you can see the results of two builders working tag-team on the same truck. Keep us in the loop with your plans!

Thank you for your help with DOL yesterday, what should have been a stop and pay turned into a three ring circus with clowns and juggling. Stinky's vanity plates are now on Frankestinky.

For the curious - Washington doesn't have an income tax, but it has a sales tax. If we buy something, we have to pay almost 9% sales tax - including cars and other big-ticket items. Montana has no such tax, so signing off the title has no line for including the purchase price. Washington titles have the needed lines to effectively make it a bill of sale when a transfer takes place. Not so much with Montana. DOL wanted a bill of sale before they would let me pay tax on it to license the truck... and they wanted to give me the wrong email address for Paul to send the bill of sale to.
The fact that states make you pay sales tax on used vehicles is a ridiculous shake-down in the first place that I am not sure how slipped through without any outrage. Only the original owner should have to pay that.

That being said I suspect most people come out slightly ahead in WA by not having income tax compared to OR and MT where you get out of sales tax. Depends on your income level and spending. There are 2 states that have neither: Alaska and New Hampshire. (Although AK is a very expensive place to live and NH has very high property taxes.)

Old 02-17-2019, 10:55 PM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
That Crown Victoria must ride like a dream with that 1200lb truck motor clacking away over the front axle.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:00 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Brandonpdx
...That being said I suspect most people come out slightly ahead in WA by not having income tax compared to OR and MT where you get out of sales tax. Depends on your income level and spending.
People in Washington can circumvent the sales tax if they shop online from out-of-state, but Amazon is based in Seattle. It's a mixed bag for Washingtonians when they buy online.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:42 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I would prefer to see everything converted to sales tax based. Have a bunch of kids, buy more stuff, pay more tax. Up in age, no kids, already bought most of the stuff you need,pay less tax. On welfare, free everything, go to store, pay tax.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:23 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW!! No income tax??? Thats a dream! Here in Ontario Canada we pay both income and sales tax. Although income starts at ONLY about 20% and goes up from there, (the more you make the more they take).
And our sales tax is a measly 13%!!.
And tourism is not deterred by the taxes, they even have a tourism tax of 4% on top of all that.......

Old 02-18-2019, 10:06 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Originally Posted by roostercrows
WOW!! No income tax??? Thats a dream! Here in Ontario Canada we pay both income and sales tax. Although income starts at ONLY about 20% and goes up from there, (the more you make the more they take).
And our sales tax is a measly 13%!!.
And tourism is not deterred by the taxes, they even have a tourism tax of 4% on top of all that.......
Don't get too excited, they all get theirs one way or the other. DE is well known for no sales tax but...they tax their pensions, auto registration is through the roof (second hand info according to my friend's sister). And there's something else that I can't think of off the top of my head. I suspect that some things change over time but I do recall my sister having to pay property tax on her cars every year in GA. PA's liquor sales are still state run and even the bars and restaurants have to go to the State Store (recently redubbed 'Wine and Spirits Shoppe') to get their booze. One big difference is up in Ontario your taxes pay for your health insurance (if I have it right) so even I used to subsidize your health care system when I went fishing up there.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:22 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Don't get too excited, they all get theirs one way or the other. DE is well known for no sales tax but...they tax their pensions, auto registration is through the roof (second hand info according to my friend's sister). And there's something else that I can't think of off the top of my head. I suspect that some things change over time but I do recall my sister having to pay property tax on her cars every year in GA. PA's liquor sales are still state run and even the bars and restaurants have to go to the State Store (recently redubbed 'Wine and Spirits Shoppe') to get their booze. One big difference is up in Ontario your taxes pay for your health insurance (if I have it right) so even I used to subsidize your health care system when I went fishing up there.

This is absolutely true. I love when people try to tell me how expensive CA is. EVERYONE gets their money. I have lived in a few different states. Nebraska is more expensive than CA in many ways. Just one example. Vehicle reg in CA=$184 Vehicle reg in NE=$493 Texas has much higher property taxes. South Dakota has their own tax deal. No where is for free or cheap. How would they function? Rant over.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:01 AM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
Northern CA I would have no problem with, and I don't mean the Bay Area I mean way north up in the Pacific Northwest part of CA. The problem is you are still forced to live with a lot of the stupidness that comes out of the bay area and SoCal. It is really 2 different states at the very least. Possibly even 3.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:17 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
My .02.

Every state has a cost of doing business....and they get that money somehow.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:18 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Brandonpdx
Northern CA I would have no problem with, and I don't mean the Bay Area I mean way north up in the Pacific Northwest part of CA. The problem is you are still forced to live with a lot of the stupidness that comes out of the bay area and SoCal. It is really 2 different states at the very least. Possibly even 3.
And that is how everyone in NY outside of the Big Apple feels about their state.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:06 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
Originally Posted by Dan V
My .02.

Every state has a cost of doing business....and they get that money somehow.

^^ That is the bottom line....

Old 02-18-2019, 06:35 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
I'm with Cody on this tangent. Between now and the nursing home, the tax I want to avoid is property tax... especially in states where BS "assessment districts" can be created to do an end run around any annual property tax increase limitations, or in states that reassesses at random based on the inflationary bubbles that cycle every 8 years or so in the price of housing.

Property tax is a tax over which we have absolutely no control (other than to move). And moving is a lot more difficult than not buying stuff. I can control my consumption. And in retirement, any fixed income will be a pittance bordering on poverty level when adjusted for the anticipated cost of living in the coming years, so go ahead, tax it. 10% of not much = nothing. But property taxes... that's currently at five figures annually... for simply existing. And it automatically raises annually, and with a misleading ballot proposition, can go up even more at random... entirely out of my control.

I'll take a sales tax over a property tax any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. All that need be done to survive a sales tax is to simply stop spending. Stay home and grow food and we're good. At the latter stage in life, there isn't a consumer product out there, no matter how innovative, that even registers a blip on the need scale. The problem arises when the taxman cometh to one's home, and demands graft for merely being there.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:28 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I agree that we need better tax strategies. Taxing the floor under your feet (that you paid for) seems a bit rude, harshest on the responsible retirees that paid their debts and should be left alone. Driving on the road and utilizing the safety features and staffing? Gas tax, sure. Hit me. Flying around the world to expand my horizons, enjoying the protection of TSA, FAA, and ATC? Tax my tickets. Boating on navigable waters while making good use of marker buoys, dredged channels, and NOAA chart data? I'll pay a higher annual license ad/or launch fee. Sitting in front of the tube and streaming stuff I paid for? Leave me alone, I gave at the IRS.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:48 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
Five figures for property taxes? That's outrageous!

Quick Reply: Mecha Mecca - Bringing the Stink back into our lives.