2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

XLT vs XL with STX package

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 10:47 AM
fzrider998
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like everyone listed all the differences - the only thing I didn't see anyone mention is the screen on the gauge cluster. On the XL and STX trucks, I think its a really small, old-school font. On the XLT, I think you can get the larger 4 inch screen with nicer font / better resolution.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:54 AM
stattlich1
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In 2017 when I ordered skid plates were an option on the XLT, I ordered them...... they DO come with the FX package.

I wanted the larger display screen to help my old eyes when backing up

Thing I miss from my '15 F250 is the auto dim side and rear view mirrors.

One regret is failure to order the extended running boards.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:05 AM
mrgrayaz
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dksmith17
It is interesting how people approach tech differently. I purchase for the long haul and don't want needless tech that might lead to problems down the road, given, I've had vehicles previously with a ton of electrical problems...

power seats, power pedals, power mirrors, power tailgate:
all convenient but not needed and if they fail, big problems! to the extent you might not be able to even drive
It is interesting. I recently bought a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder for $1000 of craigslist. Its has power leather seats with memory (great for me and the lady), automatic air conditioning, and auto engaging 4wd for the snow (NOT AWD). ...the stock radio is VASTY superior to the F-350's. All those electronics make it seem like a much nicer vehicle then my $60k 16 year newer XLT F-350, which has a electric driver seat only with no memory cloth seats, manual ac and manual (ESOF) 4wd. Of course its a Japanese vehicle so it all still works, even 17 years later.

I firmly believe we under trimmed our F-350 with the XLT Premium package. While it does have a excellent bang for buck - in 10 years its going to seem its in the stone ages compared to a Platinum with heated/cooled memory leather seats and the other features. the lack of auto adjusting rear view mirror is criminal...

Old 02-01-2019, 11:14 AM
dksmith17
Senior User
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz
It is interesting. I recently bought a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder for $1000 of craigslist. Its has power leather seats with memory (great for me and the lady), automatic air conditioning, and auto engaging 4wd for the snow (NOT AWD). ...the stock radio is VASTY superior to the F-350's. All those electronics make it seem like a much nicer vehicle then my $60k 16 year newer XLT F-350, which has a electric driver seat only with no memory cloth seats, manual ac and manual (ESOF) 4wd. Of course its a Japanese vehicle so it all still works, even 17 years later.

I firmly believe we under trimmed our F-350 with the XLT Premium package. While it does have a excellent bang for buck - in 10 years its going to seem its in the stone ages compared to a Platinum with heated/cooled memory leather seats and the other features. the lack of auto adjusting rear view mirror is criminal...
Thats funny, I actually had a 95 pathfinder that I sold because of electrical failures right around 17 years in.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:16 AM
mrgrayaz
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dksmith17
Thats funny, I actually had a 95 pathfinder that I sold because of electrical failures right around 17 years in.
Yes my '94 had electrical door lock issues around 220k miles. this (next) generation seems pretty solid.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:20 AM
Hiker9
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fzrider998
Looks like everyone listed all the differences - the only thing I didn't see anyone mention is the screen on the gauge cluster. On the XL and STX trucks, I think its a really small, old-school font. On the XLT, I think you can get the larger 4 inch screen with nicer font / better resolution.
THE 4" CLUSTER COMES WITH THE SYNC 3 UPGRADE

Old 02-01-2019, 11:20 AM
fzrider998
Senior User
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz

Your post sort of makes me think about the headlights on these trucks, too. Bi-xenon's have been around for ages and are far superior to halogen...but here we are with 50K+ vehicles using halogens....and not even the chance to add LEDs unless you pony up into much, much higher cost trim levels. In 10 years, with their halogen lights, no-memory seats, etc., they really WILL feel like they're from the stone ages! In 10 years, buying a new headlight bulb will be like trying to find a sealed beam light now. But....I digress.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:22 AM
fzrider998
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hiker9
Ah, ok. I didn't realize it was tied to that. I just knew some of base XL and maybe even base XLT had the chincy center screen. Being tied to the Sync3 makes good sense.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:22 AM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fzrider998
Your post sort of makes me think about the headlights on these trucks, too. Bi-xenon's have been around for ages and are far superior to halogen...but here we are with 50K+ vehicles using halogens....and not even the chance to add LEDs unless you pony up into much, much higher cost trim levels. In 10 years, with their halogen lights, no-memory seats, etc., they really WILL feel like they're from the stone ages! In 10 years, buying a new headlight bulb will be like trying to find a sealed beam light now. But....I digress.
Replace your halogens with beamtech led bulbs, there are several threads on here about it. Money well spent.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:24 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiker9
Yes you do!! Also as long as you have the upgraded 4inch screen you can also easily swap to the lariat 8inch screen.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 935 Likes on 737 Posts
I have a 2011 F250 XL Regular Cab 6.2 Gas 2WD.

Only options are cruise control, chrome bumpers, and Elocker.

At 165k miles and 6500hrs the only problem is the HVAC fan motor is a little weak and the clock on the radio hasnt worked in a few years.

There is a reason why they offer these basic trucks.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:19 PM
Dwightdr
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Yes you do!! Also as long as you have the upgraded 4inch screen you can also easily swap to the lariat 8inch screen.
Awesome I ordered the camera upgrade which drove Sync3 be nice to have the better center screen between the Tach and speedo.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:46 PM
jergle
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't mind having the fog lights and the power mirrors, but those are the only options my STX didn't come with that I would like, and I couldn't justify the price difference for that. I think the XL / STX package is the best bargain in super duties.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:36 PM
kongar
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Poncho450
I bought an XLT Premium because it was on the lot. Never even knew there were different levels of XLT until then. But after driving it for the last 17 months or so I don't know that I could go without power folding mirrors. So handy for bank or food drive through spots. I've also grown accustomed to a heated cloth seat. The best option in my opinion. Never been a fan of leather seats.
Hold up. I'm pretty damn sure I have an XLT with the premium package - I still have the window sticker and I'll check when I get home. But I don't have heated seats... (or do I and I'm an idiot and didn't realize it).

Old 02-01-2019, 03:40 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
The XLT premium package has heated seats. The buttons are on the HVAC console.

Quick Reply: XLT vs XL with STX package