Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 7.3 huge loss of power

Old 01-30-2019, 01:41 PM
hjveillon
New User
hjveillon is starting off with a positive reputation.
1999 7.3 huge loss of power

hey everyone this is my first thread so bear with me but i could really use some help ASAP!

to start, the truck is a 1999 7.3, 4wd, standard trans, sitting right at 138400 miles. a few weeks ago i started having some weird things going on with the truck. two different things to be exact that may or may not be related.

first off, it is becoming really hard to crank and keep running when engine is cold. after turning it over, over and over again and letting it run for a few seconds until it kills, right around the time the temp. gauge begins to climb it will finally stay running...

my bigger issue is a loss of power while driving. i can speed up pretty normal but right around 30-40mph it starts loosing power momentarily then will pick right back up until it does it again a few moments later. when it does this, if i keep my foot in the pedal it will blow white smoke, as soon as power comes back the smoke stops and all is normal. i have done a pretty good ammount of research and have changed a number of things that i thought it may be. i have changed the whole pedal assembly, the CPS, the IPR, the glow plug relay/controller, i have dropped the fuel tank and changed all 3 filters on the pickup, and just recently the IAT sensor, may also be missing something. after all of this money/time spent it is still doing the same thing and not improving at all. i am getting close to just dropping it off at a shop but am trying to avoid spending the money if i can. i would really appreciate some opinions and help! TIA!

Old 01-30-2019, 02:23 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Ohm out your glow plugs. Nothing was mentioned about a fuel filter. If fuel delivery is an issue, could be the lift pump starving you out. Weak pumps exhibit that behavior. Easy cheap fix. If your in the north, fuel additive is a must at our temps.

Denny

Old 01-30-2019, 02:36 PM
hjveillon
New User
I will check on that. I did change the fuel filter as well as soon as the symptoms started happening

Old 01-30-2019, 02:44 PM
papadave
Freshman User
papadave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check for boost leaks , and the waste gate operation, along with the exhaust back pressure actuator on the pedestal and flapper in the outlet.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:37 PM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
MoBill122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Location ? Is this related to cold weather ? If so, does it act the same if plugged in ? Batteries good ?? How old ? Starter ?

Old 01-30-2019, 05:13 PM
hjveillon
New User
im located in south louisiana. its currently our "colder" part of the year. i have tried plugging it in and at first it was helping then as the problem with power got worse it began not helping. when i bought the truck in october the batteries were less than a month old however do currently need to be changed as its been sitting up i noticed i had a relay shorting out leaving acc power when the ignition was off so it drained the batteries pretty good, now when going to work on it i have to leave it plugged to another truck for a while before it will want to crank again. i was planning on new batteries for sure however didnt think it would cause the issue of it constantly dieing while the engine was cold, but i may be wrong?

Old 01-30-2019, 05:17 PM
hjveillon
New User
papadave, i did go and check for the EBP sensor and it is not there, the bracket is completely empty and no plug in sight nor sensor, as i crawled underneath to look for the tube to the manifold i also noticed the tube was gone and the hole where it screws in is plugged up. i did buy this truck second hand from the original owner back in october. truck is completely stock to my knowledge besides the exhaust, still stock pipe just muffler delete. thanks for the replies guys.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:37 PM
cleatus12r
Post Fiend
cleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputation
Cold stalling...

​​​​​​​Check the oil level.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:14 AM
Josh Ross
Senior User
Josh Ross is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't take it to a shop. The knowledgeable guys on here will get your truck running right. You will save money and become more familiar with your truck!

Fuel pump would be my next suspect. Helpful if you had a fuel pressure gauge. Since no one has mentioned it yet, go OEM on any sensors and the fuel pump.

Riffraff Diesel has a good price on fuel pumps.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:37 AM
hjveillon
New User
well, got the problem all sorted out. donít quite have any idea how I overlooked it besides the fact that I was overthinking it. checked oil level it was barely showing on dip stick. drained what was left (3.5 quarts), changed the filter and filled her up with fresh oil and sheís running like a top now.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Wesley Green
Posting Guru
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
Did i read that right? You changed oil and only 3.5 quarts came out? If so you need to look for your oil leak to tackle that problem next.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:13 PM
hjveillon
New User
yes, 3.5 quarts lol. it has got to be burning it somewhere because there is no visible leaks anywhere 🤔

Old 02-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Bill Kay
Senior User
Bill Kay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Bill Kay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by hjveillon View Post
well, got the problem all sorted out. donít quite have any idea how I overlooked it besides the fact that I was overthinking it. checked oil level it was barely showing on dip stick. drained what was left (3.5 quarts), changed the filter and filled her up with fresh oil and sheís running like a top now.
If you have lost nearly 3 gallons of oil and you are not leaving a huge trail then Iím betting you have a failed O-Ring in an injector and are burning it with the diesel fuel. Pull the fuel filter and check if it is black.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:01 PM
dmd
Senior User
dmd is starting off with a positive reputation.
LOL.. yea you just found one symptom (loosing oil).. Now you have to find where like other have said.. they started the list for you.. Also could be the turbo
seals..

You should have gotten another gallon+, did you change the filer while you were at it?

Old 02-04-2019, 07:55 PM
cleatus12r
Post Fiend
cleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputation
Nailed it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.