1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS question for a '15 SD w/o TPMS. Can I install it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 08:23 AM
tmacc
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
TPMS question for a '15 SD w/o TPMS. Can I install it?

I'm installing Method wheels and new tires soon and thought that maybe TPMS might be a good idea when we haul our TC. Our truck is a F-350 XLT w/o TPMS, but sometimes when I have to air down the rear tire to back under our Leer cap(hanging from our carport/deck) to mount it, I get a low tire pressure warning on the dash. So, what is involved to installing TPMS? Do I really what it? When the truck just has the cap on I run 50 lb. in the rear tires and 60 lb in the front. With the TC mounted I run 80 lb. in the rear and 65-70 lb. in the front. Is the TPMS system adjustable. Sorry, I'm completely ignorant on TPMS.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:22 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
If you get a low pressure warning on the dash, you have TPMS installed. Check your owners manual about what the message means. To install TPMS on the new wheels, you will need to buy new valve stems and transfer your current sensors or buy new valve stems with sensors.

This is the Ford pn for the complete TPMS sensor with valve stem. 9L3Z-1A189-A. Motorcraft pn - TPMS12 or TPMS-12
This is the Ford pn for the valve stem. 9L3Z-1700-A

You can buy 4 OEM/Ford/Motorcraft off eBay for approx $40

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dcat=33746&LH_PrefLoc=1&_fsrp=1&Brand=Ford %7COEM%7CMotorcraft%7CFord%2520Racing&_sop=15&_nkw =+9L3Z-1A189-A&_sacat=0&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=1000

You could also take the above numbers and go to your local parts house or tire shop and buy them.

If you have an adapter and FORScan insalled on a laptop, you can adjust the TPMS warning pressures. Check this thread. Is it long, so you might want to search it for tire pressure or TPMS.

There might be someone local to you with FORScan installed that can help you.

FORScan and As-Built Data - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Here is the full spreadsheet and values that can be altered and what they do for each. Be careful if you are unsure.

FORScan 2016 Super Duty - Google Sheets

Old 01-30-2019, 02:48 PM
jws24
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can always buy one from TST.

They are a little pricey, but do a good job.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:09 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought all vehicles after 2009 had TPMS?

Old 01-30-2019, 03:12 PM
jws24
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by DieselBeast01
I thought all vehicles after 2009 had TPMS?
Duallies don't

Old 01-30-2019, 03:49 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see. I learned something today.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:09 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Duallies have the TPMS module installed byt not turned on since there are no sensors in the tires. I am not sure if the TPMS will handle 6 wheels or if it only will do 4 wheels. There have been discussions at times by some wanting to turn it on.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:21 AM
tmacc
Mountain Pass
Well, My Wife's Xterra has aluminum valve stems, so I just assumed that since mine look like the typical black rubber ones I didn't have TPMS, Looking at some of the valve stems online, the rubber ones are not out of the norm. I've got to really let a lot of air out of the tires to get truck bed under the cap. Maybe down to 20 PSI. Next time I do it, I'll have see where the pressure is when the message comes on. I will have to get new ones when I mount these wheels and whatever tires I get. I'll put the existing factory wheels and tires in storage.

TST isn't cheap for sure. It is highly rated in the 5 system review I skimmed. I saw several systems that had 6 sensors designed for RVs, so no reason a dually couldn't have it. If I buy after market valve stems alone, how will they interface with the Ford system. Probably won't I guess. I wonder if there are bluetooth systems? I'd rather not have another monitor on the dash. I'm planning on installing a wireless rear view camera on the back of the TC and that interfaces with a 7' tablet that we'll have on the dash.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:21 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Pretty sure aftermarket will interface with Ford's system. I have never tried it. I suspect the frequency is different. Not sure sensors from different mfg (tst, tireminder, hawk) will interchange on aftermarket.

I run the TireMinder TPMS t-77 setup. None of them are cheap as far a initial cost compared to the stop setup. I know as I have 12 sensors and 4 spares. I run sensors on all tires on the truck and 5th wheel, along with sensors on the spare tires.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:27 PM
tmacc
Mountain Pass
Ah, your must one of those 6 wheeled behemith 5th wheels. Sweet!

Old 02-06-2019, 09:22 PM
Jim1521
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the TireMinder SMART TPMS system that I use for my RV as well as my boat trailer. When I got my F350, I learned that it only has an idiot light for the TPMS, so I purchased six additional tire sensors that simply screw on to the tire valve. It became a little more of an issue as I have a dually, and whoever the drunk was at Ford who designed the access to the inner tire valve to make sure no normal sized human being could get their hands inside to check/adjust air made it a royal PITA. I had to add a valve extender to each of the inner tires, and once I figured out what the correct valve extender was (3 orders/2 returns to Amazon later) I got them installed.

In my case, I also decided to hardwire in the Rhino Signal Booster. I tapped into the 12v and ground leads from the 7-pin connector in the bed of the truck, and installed physically installed the signal booster to the bracket that holds the other 7-pin connector in the back of the truck.

This is a view looking at the back of the truck. The Rhino Signal Booster is mounted to the bottom of the 7-pin plug plate.

Here's a view from laying down on the ground looking up.

A close up of the signal booster mounted.

Another close up view of the signal booster.

Here's what the TPMS looks like on my smartphone:

Here's what the TPMS monitoring looks like.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:22 PM
tmacc
Mountain Pass
Darn. None of these systems are cheap, are they? Thanks Jim. I'll check it out further. I've never worried about it the past. All of the nails/screws I've gotten have been very slow leaks. With the TC on there, I want to be better informed.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:55 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Tmacc, if your truck is a single rear wheel vehicle, you have the factory TPMS installed and activated. Why would you want to add a secondary TPMS?

Old 02-13-2019, 05:27 PM
tmacc
Mountain Pass
Well, obviously I wouldn't want to spend $200+ bucks, but I just checked the manual and it says the idiot light comes on " when a tire is significantly low". That has been my experience when I've gotten a nail or something in the tire. The warning light never came on. I need to check out the after market systems available, but I'd rather know when a tire is a little low. Say, 60# instead of 80#. Particularly if we're hauling our TC. Our truck is a XLT model. Maybe higher model have a digital TPMS.

Based on Jim's post above, his system indicates exactly what the pressure is in each tire. That's what I think I want. I like the bluetooth feature as well.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:23 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
None of the SRW trucks....no matter what trim level....have digital TPMS.

I run the same TPMS as Jim.. Have been running TireMinder setup for 6 years now. Started with an SRW with the TM TPMS on the travel trailer. Have upgraded it from the TM400G to the TM-66(A1A) to now the TM-77 (as pictured above). Started with 4 sensors and now have 19 sensors (some are spares). The cost is not cheap. Spare sensors are 80 are more a pair. A TM-77 setup with 4 or 6 sensors can approach $400-$450 depending on where you buy it. to upgrade from the TM-66 (A1A) to the TM-77 was $280 for the monitor only. So, you can have from $400 to $800 or more in a setup.

https://www.minderresearch.com/tirem...s-and-trailer/

https://www.campingworld.com/tiremin...ffiliateID=577

Quick Reply: TPMS question for a '15 SD w/o TPMS. Can I install it?