2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2019 CP4 Falures ?

Old 02-10-2019, 03:24 PM
zekes66
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't know about 1%, seems a lot. We have a Coalescer at work, about the size of a Volkswagon bug. It still has 200-500ppm in it. But your talking very small amounts.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:31 PM
Lariatdriver
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
Yes absurd. You stated 5% not me that means you fill up with 28 gallons of diesel and you may have 1.4 gallons of water in your fuel. You need to learn the difference in free water and suspended water which BTW is measured in PPM. Yes am familiar with all of this and NEVER have water in fuel causing fuel pump issues. I always use the correct additives in my fuel always have---in this engine use the Ford additive. In my previous oil burners 7.3 Ford years ago and a 6.4 and several Cummins and Duramax vehicles Power Service was used and I keep tanks full as possible. In fact filled up today took 11 gallons. 37 right now temps (high for the last 48 hours) going up tonight to 67 tomorrow.

Sometime people will laugh at me for filling up so often and I just smile and tell them if their "program" works for them then great but I know after too many years of dealing with this even when I was a very young man know what to do to try and beat mother nature.
Free water is the accumulation of water suspended in diesel fuel. It’s measured in gallons and pumped into your truck when bought from unaware sellers. The term for water in the tank is thiefage. You hope the content in measured in ppm but it takes more than ppm to knock out a fuel pump.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:42 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lariatdriver

Free water is the accumulation of water suspended in diesel fuel. It’s measured in gallons and pumped into your truck when bought from unaware sellers. The term for water in the tank is thiefage. You hope the content in measured in ppm but it takes more than ppm to knock out a fuel pump.
Bless Your Heart as my PaPaw used to say. I am done on this subject.... Maybe someone else can help this poor man understand that there is a difference in the two terms and what the chemical limitations are for suspended water. My point was and is when the fuel comes from the tank farm and goes into the ground at a service station that is good as it gets quality wise... Can go downhill from there being polluted with water from whatever.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:53 PM
Lariatdriver
More Turbo
Bless Your Heart as my PaPaw used to say. I am done on this subject.... Maybe someone else can help this poor man understand that there is a difference in the two terms and what the chemical limitations are for suspended water. My point was and is when the fuel comes from the tank farm and goes into the ground at a service station that is good as it gets quality wise... Can go downhill from there being polluted with water from whatever.
The chemists describes degradation taking place shortly after refining. Diesel naturally absorbs moisture. My point was how does Ford judge rust in a fuel system that normally contains moisture?

Old 02-10-2019, 08:12 PM
Phx Raven
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buss what adaptive do you use? I only ask as I just purchased my first diesel and plan on keeping it for 15-20 years

Old 02-10-2019, 09:16 PM
bertschb
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Condensation! Been there done that and seen fuel that looked like an experiment lol. Imagine what goes on in the inside of a almost empty fuel tank in large temperature swings.
I apologize for the stupid question but isn't the fuel system (fuel tank) sealed when the cap is on? How does moisture condense inside a sealed fuel tank?

Old 02-11-2019, 12:00 AM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bertschb
I apologize for the stupid question but isn't the fuel system (fuel tank) sealed when the cap is on? How does moisture condense inside a sealed fuel tank?
no, fuel tanks are not sealed, they still have vents in then. If they were completly sealed, youd evengually starve the engine of fuel, or if the pump is strong enough collapse the tank due to a vacuum. Try sucking water out of a plastic bottle with out letting any air in.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:49 AM
HCSGuy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel moisture and quality are largely out of (most of) our control - we’re not commercial buyers, so all we can do is buy from a station that sells a lot of diesel and is reputable. Having been through a replacing the high pressure pump and EVERYTHING downstream of it on my Transit diesel, it’s a PIA - 5 weeks at the dealer and a half page worth of parts. I have read the complaints about the CP4 pump, which uses the diesel fuel for lubrication, same as in my Transit. What can you do? A few common sense things. First, use a diesel additive. I use Lucas in my Transit, but you can buy the Ford one on Amazon for less than $10/bottle in 12pks if you’re worried about warranty issues. I did not notice any miracle changes in my engine after starting to use the additive, though it does seem a little smoother at high RPM’s, but I’m not putting any money on it. No change in mileage. The repair done on my Transit was a warranty/recall; I do not want to have to pay to have it done again - I think it was 30hrs of shop labor! Second, don’t run the tank dry - especially when it’s cold. If there’s water not in solution, let it stay at the bottom. I refill my tank at 1/4. Lastly, don’t store your truck with low fuel - fill it full, especially if you park it outside or somewhere with large temperature swings. I figure if I do those 3 things, I’m way ahead of the pack and odds are on my side. Everything else is out of my control, so I don’t sweat it.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:41 AM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the OP posted CP-4 failure, yet the truck is still sitting waiting for diagnosis. Low fuel pressure can be caused by a number of issues.I thought I read that he said it may be a lift pump. Which does not make this a CP-4 failure. My truck had a check engine light and the dash warning of low fuel pressure, turned out to be the fuel pressure sender went bad. Let's not jump the gun here. I enjoy forums and a lot can be learned on them, but also a lot of red flags can be raised before the fact.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:41 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Any changes to the 2020 CP4 pump?

Old 08-31-2019, 10:32 AM
Lariatdriver
More Turbo
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
Any changes to the 2020 CP4 pump?

Great question , even pawpaw wants to know that answer.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:52 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Lariatdriver
Great question , even pawpaw wants to know that answer.

Not sure of what they changed, but it will be running at higher pressures.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:39 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by UGA33
Not sure of what they changed, but it will be running at higher pressures.
Thanks, I was hoping some changes for more durability.