Couple questions on 1985 302 EFI block & Heads - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Couple questions on 1985 302 EFI block & Heads

 
  #16  
Old 02-14-2019, 08:29 PM
baddad457
baddad457 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: May 2003
Location: south louisiana
Posts: 9,392
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
Well that's a good point! Are they still available from Ford or is this something I need to go hunting Ebay and junkyards for?
If I recall, Ford's eccentrics are gold plated. Better off getting a junkyard part. Or from a member here. I have a bunch of one piece eccentrics, if you need one send me the shipping cost and I'll send you one.
 
  #17  
Old 02-15-2019, 04:43 PM
Rembrant's Avatar
Rembrant
Rembrant is offline
Elder User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlantic Canada
Posts: 886
Rembrant is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks like the kits are pretty cheap anyway...

https://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/235/10002/-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SBF-FORD-28...i~bW:rk:1:pf:0

I also found a set of really cheap E7 heads locally, so they'll make life easier (easier than cleaning up the old crusty E5? heads).


Do any of you know off hand the cylinder bore specs for the 302? If I have a chance I'm going to pop the heads off this weekend and have a look inside. I have inside mic's at work, so I can measure them up.
 
  #18  
Old 02-15-2019, 05:14 PM
xlt4wd90's Avatar
xlt4wd90
xlt4wd90 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,664
xlt4wd90 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.xlt4wd90 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm assembling my 1969 302 right now, and it only had a 1 piece eccentric; I don't even know what that second piece is for. It's been running the old pump just fine without the second piece. Is that for newer pumps?
 
  #19  
Old 02-15-2019, 09:06 PM
baddad457
baddad457 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: May 2003
Location: south louisiana
Posts: 9,392
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by xlt4wd90 View Post
I'm assembling my 1969 302 right now, and it only had a 1 piece eccentric; I don't even know what that second piece is for. It's been running the old pump just fine without the second piece. Is that for newer pumps?
The one piece eccentrics are cast steel the rim is about an eight inch thick. The two piece is stamped steel and both pieces are pretty thin. The inner piece has a tab bent inward that keeps it turning with the cam gear. The one piece is driven by the cam pin extending through the hole in the eccentric
 
  #20  
Old 02-15-2019, 11:41 PM
xlt4wd90's Avatar
xlt4wd90
xlt4wd90 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,664
xlt4wd90 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.xlt4wd90 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well, my single piece eccentric seems to be working fine. I wonder why they changed the design?
 
  #21  
Old 02-17-2019, 09:52 AM
baddad457
baddad457 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: May 2003
Location: south louisiana
Posts: 9,392
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by xlt4wd90 View Post
Well, my single piece eccentric seems to be working fine. I wonder why they changed the design?
Cost of the material and production. The stamped pieces weigh a quarter of what the one piece eccentrics do. And cost to stamp and heat treat is far less on the 2 piece.
 
  #22  
Old 02-17-2019, 01:45 PM
Rembrant's Avatar
Rembrant
Rembrant is offline
Elder User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlantic Canada
Posts: 886
Rembrant is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Conanski View Post
The block would be OK to rebuild but the heads are worthless and you would be better off sourcing some E7's or GT40s from the junkyard.
So I picked up a set of E7TE heads locally for very cheap. They are original and untouched, so that is good. No porting required for what I'm doing. I dug out my cheap cc kit, and back to back tests show a chamber size of 61cc. I believe that falls within the specs of these heads? This would be a pretty significant bump in compression if the E5 heads are similar to the D8's I pulled off my 1984 302 (@ 69cc chamber size).

Anyway, it is all good. This engine is unlikely to see anything over 3000 RPM for the most part, so the E7's shouldn't be choking it. They will get me into 1990's era 9:1 compression or better, depending on the pistons I end up using.
 
  #23  
Old 02-17-2019, 09:06 PM
baddad457
baddad457 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: May 2003
Location: south louisiana
Posts: 9,392
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
So I picked up a set of E7TE heads locally for very cheap. They are original and untouched, so that is good. No porting required for what I'm doing. I dug out my cheap cc kit, and back to back tests show a chamber size of 61cc. I believe that falls within the specs of these heads? This would be a pretty significant bump in compression if the E5 heads are similar to the D8's I pulled off my 1984 302 (@ 69cc chamber size).

Anyway, it is all good. This engine is unlikely to see anything over 3000 RPM for the most part, so the E7's shouldn't be choking it. They will get me into 1990's era 9:1 compression or better, depending on the pistons I end up using.
Do your motor a favor and take a porting bit and remove the Thermactor bumps from the exhaust port roofs. This takes all of thirty minutes to do and will net you quite a few HP and room to let the motor breathe
 
  #24  
Old 02-18-2019, 04:21 AM
Rembrant's Avatar
Rembrant
Rembrant is offline
Elder User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlantic Canada
Posts: 886
Rembrant is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by baddad457 View Post
Do your motor a favor and take a porting bit and remove the Thermactor bumps from the exhaust port roofs. This takes all of thirty minutes to do and will net you quite a few HP and room to let the motor breathe
Yes I will do just that. I have the gear at work for this, so it shouldn't be a big deal. Thanks for the heads up. I didn't think they'd make that much difference, but if they do, it's not a big deal to remove them.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.