My project: 1957 F350 Wrecker - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

My project: 1957 F350 Wrecker

Old 01-29-2019, 11:18 AM
NavyGeo
New User
NavyGeo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by manglass View Post
For what it's worth, the wrecker and light bar look homemade but the wrecker body could be commercial. I suspect it may be a Holmes. IIRC Holmes was one of the first (maybe the first) manufacturer to clip the rear corners of the bed for a tighter turning radius. That might be the source of the winch too. With the way the wrecker is built, it's not very flexible. It's good for towing a car but not great for recovery or pulling an engine although it's very robust. Nice rig.

Lou Manglass
Does anyone have any idea where a serial number or manufacturer's plate might be located on this wrecker-body if it's a Holms or some other manufacturer?

Old 01-29-2019, 04:29 PM
manglass
Senior User
manglass is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by NavyGeo View Post
Does anyone have any idea where a serial number or manufacturer's plate might be located on this wrecker-body if it's a Holms or some other manufacturer?
In my experience, the bodies don't usually have an I.D. tag. The commercial wreckers I've seen generally have a tag on the upright, but your booms aren't suspended by cable so there is no upright except for that angle iron light bar. You might check on the winch to see if there is anything there. From the pictures, it looks like someone grabbed a used wrecker body along with the winch and built a boom to tow cars. It looks very heavy duty, I think you'd break the winch cable long before the boom would fail.

Lou Manglass

Old 01-29-2019, 09:58 PM
thrifty
Senior User
thrifty is starting off with a positive reputation.
I see you have a defroster duct that is still in tact. be very careful with both of them. I have a set that was made of fiberglass. BTW nice rig

Old 01-30-2019, 01:57 PM
truckdog62563
Post Fiend
truckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 1960fordf350 View Post
I see in the pics that the rim offset is different on each of the front rims.
Pretty sure the offsets of the front wheels are the same. Sometimes pictures can play tricks.

Originally Posted by NavyGeo View Post
A big issue is the front wheels. I'd love to keep them, but they do appear to be split-rims of some kind. If so it may be hard to find a tire place willing to remount tubes and tires onto them. As far as I can tell the rears are not split rim, but I haven't had them off. I do have six used mismatched 7.5" x 16" tires once I reach that point though.
All the wheels are no doubt all the same OEM DRW 16 x 5.5 two part type having outer rims called the Firestone RHP. These are essentially a locking side ring style that have unbroken side rings. They are still serviceable in most parts of the country, but I know many of the chain type shops wont work on them anymore. I think this is mostly because they dont want to train technicians on how to do the few that are still in service. Id think youd have the most success at the big OTR type shops, or at small independent type shops. Stu

Old 01-30-2019, 03:22 PM
NavyGeo
New User
Originally Posted by truckdog62563 View Post

Pretty sure the offsets of the front wheels are the same. Sometimes pictures can play tricks.

All the wheels are no doubt all the same OEM DRW 16 x 5.5 two part type having outer rims called the Firestone RHP. These are essentially a locking side ring style that have unbroken side rings. They are still serviceable in most parts of the country, but I know many of the chain type shops wont work on them anymore. I think this is mostly because they dont want to train technicians on how to do the few that are still in service. Id think youd have the most success at the big OTR type shops, or at small independent type shops. Stu

Well at least they're not the wheels on my other rescue:

Old 01-30-2019, 04:20 PM
truckdog62563
Post Fiend
truckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant future
Dayton demountable rim type wheels arent a problem. Those rims look to be the old three piece Firestone R-5 type. Or they could be the same basic design that is today called the Accuride 5 Radial Commander. Still in production today for Dayton applications. And if you prefer to not have them, tubeless 22.5 outer rims will mount on the spoked wheels. Stu

Old 01-31-2019, 05:21 AM
NavyGeo
New User
Stu, were you saying that the Ford's wheels are the Firestone R5s?

Old 01-31-2019, 06:12 AM
truckdog62563
Post Fiend
The ‘57 wrecker has 16” x 5.5” Budd wheels that have outer rims with the design known as the Firestone RHP. They were really common for heavy duty type applications back then. But fewer and fewer are still in service so that some shops don’t want to deal with them today. But they are reasonably safe if undamaged and handled with respect, cage, etc. Find an old guy that knows his trade to service them.

The GM COE has the Firestone R-5 / Accuride 5 Radial Commander demountable Dayton type rims. Stu

Old 01-31-2019, 12:50 PM
NavyGeo
New User
The 57 wrecker has 16 x 5.5 Budd wheels that have outer rims with the design known as the Firestone RHP. They were really common for heavy duty type applications back then. But fewer and fewer are still in service so that some shops dont want to deal with them today. But they are reasonably safe if undamaged and handled with respect, cage, etc. Find an old guy that knows his trade to service them.

The GM COE has the Firestone R-5 / Accuride 5 Radial Commander demountable Dayton type rims. Stu
Thanks for that clarification truckdog. I'm out today looking for some used 7.5" x 16" tires so that we can roll it around.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:53 PM
NavyGeo
New User
The 57 wrecker has 16 x 5.5 Budd wheels that have outer rims with the design known as the Firestone RHP. They were really common for heavy duty type applications back then. But fewer and fewer are still in service so that some shops dont want to deal with them today. But they are reasonably safe if undamaged and handled with respect, cage, etc. Find an old guy that knows his trade to service them.

Success! I found a local tire company that'll sell me 6 DStone D503 "Traction" tires, mounted with new tubes and rubstrips for $85 apiece. This tire shop knew exactly what I was talking about when I asked if they still worked "Firestone R5 wheels"! Thanks very much! I'll pick them up later this month and once they're on I'll send more photos!

Old 02-27-2019, 03:24 PM
NavyGeo
New User
A sad update

So I'm off-duty the other day and I get a call from the mechanic-shop helping me with this old wrecker. The police and 'representative of the owner' were there...??? To make a long story short the truck was stolen from one junkyard in May of last year, and somehow stashed in another one, where the previous owner bought it from the person who had purchased the land the junkyard occupied. I was completely honest with the police and the person representing the owner. I presented the documents I had, gave them the name, address, and phone number of the person I traded my '71 F100 to, and gave them the address of the closed junkyard and the name of the person claiming to own it. Both the representative and the police agreed I'd done nothing wrong. I told the representative that I wasn't going to make any civil claim on the truck as he had the GA title in hand. I gave him the key and the parts I'd bought so far(complete instrument cluster and valve covers). The truck hasn't been taken yet, but it's no longer 'mine'. I just hope the owner brings it back to running condition.

Anyways, I'm out both my Fords, and some cash. I'm going to look for something different with a title in hand to get past this debacle. Thanks everyone for all the help you provided.

Rick

Old 02-27-2019, 03:43 PM
G-Force junky
Senior User
G-Force junky is starting off with a positive reputation.
Holy crap that sucks!!! I feel for you wow sorry to hear!!

Old 02-27-2019, 07:18 PM
1960fordf350
Elder User
1960fordf350 has a good reputation on FTE.1960fordf350 has a good reputation on FTE.1960fordf350 has a good reputation on FTE.
Can you contact him? Money already spent, throw an offer at him. We know it's a work of passion and not profit. Maybe he won't want it back and you can still keep it. Can't hurt to try. Sometimes we eat the bear, and sometimes he eats us!!

Old 02-27-2019, 08:52 PM
thundersnow70
Posting Guru
thundersnow70 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.thundersnow70 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wow, sorry to hear about that. I am currently going through a similar but different deal. A while back I bought a 62 F250 4x4. Title from Nebraska, signed, and a bill of sale from a different guy in Iowa. It was a good enough price I really didn't care that Iowa guy is jumping title but I figured SD might have a problem and they did. In my case I won't spend a dollar on this truck and have not until SD gives me a title. If they decide not to I will part it out. You must be a nice guy Navy, if someone was gonna take "my" truck and then leave it at my place I might have some problems with that. I agree it's a good time to try and buy it from the guy with the title.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:18 PM
1960fordf350
Elder User
1960fordf350 has a good reputation on FTE.1960fordf350 has a good reputation on FTE.1960fordf350 has a good reputation on FTE.
Is there any way to get a mechanics lien, Thunder? I know a guy here in Ohio who's gotten a couple titles that way. Bill the guy you got it from for storage. Of course he'll not answer back. Then you file a lien paper against it for non payment and get a title

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.