Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Reload this Page >

Looking for help contacting California legislators to revise recent collection regulation

Notices

Looking for help contacting California legislators to revise recent collection regulation

Old 01-25-2019, 07:08 PM
genscripter
Postmaster
genscripter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

If you don't know the background, please read this thread: Legislation | WVO

If you live in California, now is the time to contact your legislators and news media to amend the current restrictions and regulations on collecting old French Fry oil. If we can get a few more people vocal about this, there is a good possibility things will revised in an upcoming bill. The squeaky wheel gets the .... grease.

Feel free to PM me or use the contact page on the link above if you have more questions. Every little bit helps. When dealing with our representatives, calling and meeting in person is best, because emails tend to get skipped over.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:32 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
A $1,000,000 liability policy sounds impressively expensive, but I bet it only costs maybe a hundred bucks a year. It does sound like they are being buttheads, though. Waste oil used to be a huge PITA, restaurants had to pay someone to haul it away, it didn't have any value because no one wanted it. The alley behind my dad's business had a restaurant on the other side, with a manhole cover in the road. Somebody at the restaurant decided it would be a whole lot easier to just dump that old fryer grease down the sewer every week or whatever. Maybe the owner was pleased, I dunno. Except, it wasn't a storm sewer, it was an electrical transformer or substation deal or something like that. This apparently went on for a loooong time, (think of all the money they saved!) till one day ... the transformer overheated and **** itself. Busted! I don't know what the fine was, but they had to pay to have it ALL cleaned up, plus replace the ruined transformer ($$$) and the rest of it. Dumb asses. LOL

Old 01-26-2019, 12:29 AM
genscripter
Postmaster
$1,000,000 policy is $900/year. I know because I pay for it. I shopped around for the cheapest policy I could find. I heard of a guy who pays something like $500/year because he bundled it with his premium AAA insurance, but just the base premiums for his regular car insurance put that over my accumulative $900/yr cost + my cheaper car insurance. Remember, this $1,000,000 liability insurance is in addition to your car insurance plan.

Add that to the $375 to register the car, and it's ridiculous. This is not including all the fees pay to the DMV for renewals.

The California system is broken (on purpose, by corporate lobbyists). There needs to be some push back. I used to know dozens of greasers, now they are few and far inbetween.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:38 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
That's sad to hear, the bureaucracy though, must expand to keep up with the needs of the bureacratic state. I'd say yous guys are right and proper &[email protected] on that deal. Has anyone pointed out you probably owe road tax on the fryer oil?

Old 01-26-2019, 08:05 PM
genscripter
Postmaster
Thankfully there is no restriction in California for road tax and fryer oil. It's treated the same as electric cars that don't pay for road tax through petro purchases.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:22 AM
'88 E-350
Posting Guru
'88 E-350 has a very good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a very good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Convince legislators to change the law in a way that allows people to save money on fuel; sounds like an uphill battle, but a worthy one. Hopefully they don't tack on some other law making the use of WVO fuel controlled/taxed. If restaurants are still allowed and willing to give the oil to individuals it might be better to do it illegally and not make too much legislative noise about it. If the restaurants are being mandated to use a commercial collector then there's less potential harm in making noise.

I use WMO so I'm not effected by this at all, but if the fight is worthy I'll contribute to it. Are restaurants mandated to record or report waste oil collections? Are they mandated to use a commercial pick-up service?

Old 02-04-2019, 01:39 AM
genscripter
Postmaster
Restaurants are mandated to record and prove to inspectors that they have someone registered to pick it up. I'm a registered "personal" user of WVO, so I can do it, but as my article stated, the increases of fees and insurance has made this extremely costly. I'm not even sure why hauling a few gallons of this stuff should require any registration. I could understand if I was hauling a tanker truck of this oil, but we are transporting a few gallons at a time. Under the current law, a restaurant isn't allowed to give away even a teaspoon of this veggie oil to anyone without a registration. This is ridiculous. The corporate lobbyists tried to get this stuff categorized as "hazardous waste," but thankfully the legislators were convinced otherwise. I'm hoping they will be amenable to this legislative revision I'm proposing.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:33 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
"Hazardous Waste" eh. I think that was a diner on I-5. These days it's required to put an expiration date on packages of salt and Nutrition Information (Calories- 0) on water so I wish you luck. I don't know if it's a requirement or not, but if you even look up a recipe online there will often be that BS displayed somewhere.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:59 AM
'88 E-350
Posting Guru
'88 E-350 has a very good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a very good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by genscripter View Post
Restaurants are mandated to record and prove to inspectors that they have someone registered to pick it up. I'm a registered "personal" user of WVO, so I can do it, but as my article stated, the increases of fees and insurance has made this extremely costly. I'm not even sure why hauling a few gallons of this stuff should require any registration. I could understand if I was hauling a tanker truck of this oil, but we are transporting a few gallons at a time. Under the current law, a restaurant isn't allowed to give away even a teaspoon of this veggie oil to anyone without a registration. This is ridiculous. The corporate lobbyists tried to get this stuff categorized as "hazardous waste," but thankfully the legislators were convinced otherwise. I'm hoping they will be amenable to this legislative revision I'm proposing.

Damn. On the flip side, some restaurants will dump the stuff wherever without vigilant oversight, and I've seen buckets of god knows what fall out of trucks on the road. Coming up with common sense veggie oil control might be right up there with common sense gun control and in California it's gonna be a tough battle to loosen them up on regulations since they've already tightened it up. It's definitely worth the battle to make some personal use exemptions to the commercial requirements and I hope it happens.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:57 AM
genscripter
Postmaster
I've been working with my legislators already, and they have said this could be remedied with a small revision to the current code, and they are working on it. But it would help speed things up if more people contacted their reps in the senate and assembly.

I don't think this is something that the government is just hellbent on regulating for regulation's sake. This isn't the government being restrictive; it's actually an effort by large businesses to rig the laws in their favor. When legislators learn of the actions of the RIAB, they are very open to revising the law. They just need to see there are more greasers our there.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:06 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by genscripter View Post
This isn't the government being restrictive; it's actually an effort by large businesses to rig the laws in their favor
lol Well now there's a distinction without a difference. You're a lot less cynical than I am.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:15 PM
genscripter
Postmaster
I entered into these discussions with the same mindset. I figured they wouldn't care. I was kind of cynical.

But actually, the representatives are quite receptive. Especially when they learned of the RIAB and their lack of transparency. All they need is more feedback from greasers to inform them this is a bigger issue.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:33 AM
6.9mike
New User
6.9mike is starting off with a positive reputation.
the absurd legislator of california

this is the crasyist law ive heard from california im not a resident but it sure seems to me somebody is lining there pockets with lots of cash its a proven fact that there is a polution problem with diesel fuel usage in california or they wouldnt change all the laws on truck trailer transportationing it was a long battle but the state won and i was against it untill i seen the good it has done but this sounds like the few money boys want to put a knot in it on the little guy just wanting to recycle a little waste and then dispose of it by ways of burning it there lot less enviromental affect and defintly less fossil fuel usage by useing it someday there will be no fossil fuel so what they doing make it happen faster and whats cargill doing in vernon they have some kind of petro fuel plant there i seen them take stuff there before in fact i think i even hauled loads in there befor 2012

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: