Notices

Vibration when towing at Highway speeds

Old 01-25-2019, 12:21 PM
Cortezkid
New User
Cortezkid is starting off with a positive reputation.
Vibration when towing at Highway speeds

My new 2018 F-150 super cab four wheel drive, vibrates at highway speeds when pulling a 16 ft utility trailer with my 51 ******* jeep on it. Trailer has two 3500# axles and is not heavy jeep weighs about 2400 lbs.
The truck is a 5 liter with 10 speed and 145 inch wheel base. I believe the max weight on the sticker was 7050 lbs for the truck. I purchase the truck with trailer options, receiver, 7 pin plug, and break controller. The dealer tells me that the newer trucks have softer springs and this causes the pinion angle to change when a load is applied to the rear bumper. This change in angle causes the vibration you feel in the seat. I never felt this when pulling the trailer with any other truck. I feel it when ever i pull a trailer with this truck. Is this dealer pulling my leg?

Old 01-25-2019, 12:27 PM
seville009
Postmaster
seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.
I think heís pulling your leg.

If you havenít already done so, pull your trailer empty. If the vibration is gone, then obviously it had something to do with your load.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:13 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
Are you using a weight distributing hitch? If not, it _might_ help since it will bring the rear of the truck back closer to the non-towing height.

There have been a couple threads on vibration problems where the trailer was the problem. As I recall, one was a harmonic issue with the length of the tongue. I think the other turned out to be an issue with the tires (balance, out of round, etc) or the alignment of the axle. Try different tire pressures on the trailer to see if that changes the vibration. Mainly a lower pressure, not a higher one as that would be likely to exaggerate the issue. Some tire shops will send you on your way with new tires without balancing. I've had that happen. They need to be balanced.

There have also been a few Superduty trucks with towing vibrations where the dealer added shims to keep the driveline at better angles. So yeah, your dealer may not be taking you seriously and doing their due diligence to try and resolve the issue.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:22 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yeah, have the trailer tires balanced first. I have had tire stores give me funny looks when I ask to have my trailer tires balanced. "Nobody balances trailer tires. There's no reason." Bzzt. Wrong. I always balance my trailer tires. The trailer pulls/rides better and the tires will last longer. Of course I regularly tow long distances at interstate speeds. YMMV.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:14 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Clubwagon View Post
Yeah, have the trailer tires balanced first. I have had tire stores give me funny looks when I ask to have my trailer tires balanced. "Nobody balances trailer tires. There's no reason." Bzzt. Wrong. I always balance my trailer tires. The trailer pulls/rides better and the tires will last longer. Of course I regularly tow long distances at interstate speeds. YMMV.
I have been saying this for about 20 years. I agree, I prefer to balance trailer tires. I haven't done it. It is a good idea.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:34 PM
GTfor
New User
GTfor is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm facing a similar problem too. Guys, don't you know if weight distribution hitches can handle it? I bumped into this article/review about them https://reviewseye.com/best-weight-distribution-hitches and I'm thinking now get them or not. What are your thoughts?

Old 04-09-2019, 10:11 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by GTfor View Post
I'm facing a similar problem too. Guys, don't you know if weight distribution hitches can handle it? I bumped into this article/review about them https://reviewseye.com/best-weight-distribution-hitches and I'm thinking now get them or not. What are your thoughts?
Need more info. Describe your situation along with truck and trailer.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:43 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Wlcome to the forum!

That "article/review" you linked to is pretty much useless as the WD hitches listed are of different weight ratings and features and the commentary doesn't make very much sense at all. With some additional info about your truck and trailer (scaled weights would but great!) and exactly what your current issue is we can help you out with some troubleshooting advice.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:23 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
stufarmer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.stufarmer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've used Balance Beads in all of my Trailer Tires for many years .. it works ..

Old 04-15-2019, 03:45 PM
GTfor
New User
GTfor is starting off with a positive reputation.
The thing is, I'm not going to solve this problem right now.

I just thought that in general, the problem might be caused because of the wrong weight/load distribution. If it all depends on the specific model of the truck and trailer, it is better to contact the experts in any garage.

Thanks for the tips

Old 04-16-2019, 06:24 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
The thing is, I'm not going to solve this problem right now.

I just thought that in general, the problem might be caused because of the wrong weight/load distribution. If it all depends on the specific model of the truck and trailer, it is better to contact the experts in any garage.

Thanks for the tips
Many of the experts in any garage don't know the first thing about towing setups, heck as it has been reported here often enough even the techs at TT dealers don't know how to properly setup a WD hitch!
I do agree that proper load balance and weight distribution is an important factor in safe and comfortable towing. I don't agree on having a vibration at highway speeds while towing and NOT addressing the issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.