Sponsored by: Moser

Wheel recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 08:30 PM
bulldogcountry1
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel recommendations

I currently have the stock 94-97 Alcoa 8 lug wheels. Overall, I like the look of the wheels, but not the center caps so much. I just prefer exposed lugs. The wheels are in good shape, it's just that the wheel weights have compromised the clear coat and caused corrosion underneath. They are going to have to be stripped, polished, and recoated.

I've been looking at other center cap options, like a push-through style.

The other option is just to get new ones. I'd like to stick with a classic aluminum style. I'm my searching, I've come across some that are labeled as "trailer wheels". They are a good bit cheaper, but what is the difference, really? Are they tougher to get properly balanced?

Any recommendations?

Mine-

Old 01-23-2019, 09:29 PM
440 sixpack
Lead Driver
Received 1,534 Likes on 1,127 Posts
Take a look at the Pro Comp classic wheels. I put 16x8's on my highboy and I really like them. they're cheap to boot .

They aren't coated though, I don't care because I don't drive my pickup in the winter but if you do you'd want to coat them. the American racing look alikes aren't coated either .

Old 01-23-2019, 09:50 PM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
I'm old, so I'll venture that there aren't any classic aluminum wheel designs for 8 lug setups. Back when these trucks were new(er) you could have any design you wanted - as long it was steel wagon wheels. I wouldn't rule them out. I suspect that all of the aluminum ones you will find will be garish and ricerish. I've wondered about the trailer wheels too, when looking at 5 luggers online. Apparently, you could be subject to greater liability if there's an accident, and your truck comes under the scrutiny of investigators who are looking for anything they can find.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:39 PM
dogdays
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Garbage in, garbage out!

Of Course there were classic alloy wheel styles for eight lug wheels back in the day! Just open up a copy of Four Wheeler or 4 Wheel and Off Road from the early '80s. It's harder to find them nowadays because everyone wants either flat black or Bling Bling Bling.

I have been hearing scare stories about liability and lawyers for years and years. I have yet to run into a case where this actually came into play. Someone I used to know was all worked up about "overloading" a minivan buy 100lb or so, so much so that someone else had to drive so we'd get where we needed. "If we have an accident the cops will..........." you can work yourself into a frenzy about such meaningless stuff. It's like emissions controls: It's a federal crime to tamper with an emissions control system on any emission controlled car in the USA. Many people do. But do the Feds have a Mod Squad out combing the back roads and peering under someone's hood? No. Now when they run into a company that is selling modifications that defeat emissions controls, they take action. And, much of the policing of this stuff happens in the locations where one has to have an emissions certificate before licensing the vehicle. But you Don't see the BATF or FBI or Secret Service crawling under cars checking for catalytic converters.

So, people, Get Real! Much of this needless worry is started by evil folks who like to get other gullible people excited and worried. We do have to remain vigilant so even more of our freedoms are not eliminated, but worrying is bad for you. My friend Rock Miracle said, "Worry is like paying interest on money you haven't borrowed yet."

RE: trailer wheels. I think that the SAE standards for runout, etc for passenger car wheels is probably tighter than the same standards for trailer wheels. So the trailer wheels MAY be more difficult to balance. Or they might not be as true. Maybe their factor of safety for sudden failure is lower than that for cars. I have noticed that they aren't usually as pretty as passenger car wheels.

For those whose cousin's brother-in-law got nabbed for improper ply rating on his car tire, I ask for names and dates so it can be verified. Otherwise it remains hearsay.

R.

Last edited by dogdays; 01-24-2019 at 03:43 PM. Reason: adding on