5th Wheel Toy Hauler ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 11:33 AM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
5th Wheel Toy Hauler ??

We've been contemplating a 5th Wheel Toy Hauler for the last month or so. We recently spent 2 days at the Tampa Rv Show getting a pretty good look at the latest and greatest currently offered. Who wouldn't like a Patio and a Garage in your 5th Wheel ?
I do have 4 Requirements ..
1 ) Under 40'
2 ) Under 20,000 lb GVWR
3 ) Minimum 12' Garage
4 ) Have to tow it with my current 17' F350 6.7, 4x4, CC, LB, SRW.
Visually, I found it hard to tell these Toy Haulers apart. Their Spec's are virtually identical. Of them all, I was mostly impressed with the Jayco Seismic,
but I have very little knowledge of these Rv Brands. What can you tell me about the ..
Grand Design Momentum ..
Dutchmen Voltage ..
Jayco Seismic .. new under 40' model coming this spring
Keystone Raptor ..
Keystone Fusion ..
Heartland Cyclone ..
Heartland Torque ..

Old 01-23-2019, 12:36 PM
xrated
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before you make any decisions or fall in love with ANY of the brands/models, do yourself a favor and go out to your truck and take a look at the white/yellow highlighted sticker on the driver side door post and see what your payload capacity is for YOUR TRUCK....as it was built.
Next thing to know/realize is that a 5ver is going to put between 20-25% of whatever it weighs, on the bed of your truck. I'll venture a guess at your payload capacity and say somewhere around 3300 lbs...give or take . Another thing to know is that many of the 5ver hitches will weigh in at 175 lbs more or less.....and that weight also is deducted from your available payload capacity. Next, you will need to have an idea of how much additional weight the truck will be carrying, either in the bed or inside the truck....passenger(s), luggage, tools, toolbox, firewood, spare fuel, BBQ grill, etc. Anything and everything that goes on or in the truck counts against available payload (your sticker weight).

Here is an example: 14,000 lb GVWR trailertrailer: 20% of that is 2800 lbs of pin weight. 25% of 14,000 lbs is 3500 lbs. Add in the hitch weight and all the other stuff I mentioned above and you could be close to 4000 lbs total weight, on a truck that only has 3300 lbs of payload. I'm not saying that your truck IS 3300 lbs payload, but that sticker will tell you what is.

This example uses a trailer that has 12,000 lbs GVWR: 12,000 times 20% comes to 2400 lbs of pin. 25% comes to 3000 lbs. And again, add the weight of the hitch and all the things I mentioned above and maybe you are at around 3200-3300 lbs. So the question is....what is the payload of your truck...based on that sticker. Once you figure out what you have to work with, weight capacity wise, you can then begin to focus your search on trailers that fit into that weight range. Hope this helps you a little bit.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:30 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,672 Likes on 2,742 Posts
stufarmer, you're probably in dually territory with a trailer that has a GVWR of 20k. A max GVWR around 16K is probably more realistic. I'm lowballing with a pin weight of 20% of GVWR.

If you don't have something heavy in the garage of a toy hauler then the pin weight can be much more than a normal fifth wheel trailer.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:34 PM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Up to 40' and 20,000# GVWR is a serious 5th wheel. Being a toy hauler, the GVWR and pin weight will be a bit of a moving target that may vary how the tow vehicle responds to the trailer.

Ideally, a dually is the way to go. As for a SRW, pay very close attention to cargo carrying capacity for your specific truck and view trailer spec with a skeptical eye.

A year ago we bought our first dually. It is without doubt WAY superior to a SRW...even with trailers well under 20.000#.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:07 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,625 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Originally Posted by stufarmer
We've been contemplating a 5th Wheel Toy Hauler for the last month or so. We recently spent 2 days at the Tampa Rv Show getting a pretty good look at the latest and greatest currently offered. Who wouldn't like a Patio and a Garage in your 5th Wheel ?
1 ) Under 40'
2 ) Under 20,000 lb GVWR
3 ) Minimum 12' Garage
Visually, I found it hard to tell these Toy Haulers apart. Their Spec's are virtually identical. Of them all, I was mostly impressed with the Jayco Seismic,
but I have very little knowledge of these Rv Brands. What can you tell me about the ..
Grand Design Momentum ..
Dutchmen Voltage ..
Keystone Raptor ..
Keystone Fusion ..
Heartland Cyclone ..
Heartland Torque ..
Well sir, some things to consider. Are you planning to just use the toy hauler for weekend local stuff? Like out to a play area under 100 miles away, or are you planning to go cross country? Local stuff, any of the above would likely be fine if you are close to your capacity.
if you are planning cross country stuff where one is more likely to hit crosswinds, bad weather, any and all conditions, etc. as long as you have a SRW stick with the smaller units (2 axle). I have a 41’ Raptor @ 18,000 GVW. I started pulling it with a SRW; local stuff I was OK with....but.....1 cross country trip and I started looking for a dually.

Another thing to remember, a lot of the “listed” pin weights are “dry” weights and do not include the generator, batteries, propane tanks, etc. So, with that, your actual pin weight could likely be several hundred pounds more than what is listed. I have never weighed my Raptor, but I have had loads over 4000 lb in the bed of my 350 dually and the amount of squat was about the same

Old 01-24-2019, 02:01 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 992 Likes on 762 Posts
also check your state regs.....

your existing truck GVWR+trailer GVWR could put you in special license requirements.

example, my 2010 DRW is 14500 GVWR and would easily tow a 20K trailer but I would be at a combined 34K GVWR and in some states...that's a problem for a regular license driver.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:33 PM
xrated
Senior User
Originally Posted by HRTKD
stufarmer, you're probably in dually territory with a trailer that has a GVWR of 20k. A max GVWR around 16K is probably more realistic. I'm lowballing with a pin weight of 20% of GVWR.

If you don't have something heavy in the garage of a toy hauler then the pin weight can be much more than a normal fifth wheel trailer.
There are no probably's about it......a 20,000 GVWR trailer had to have a dually. Nothing SRW in a nice truck will carry that much weight caused by the pin weight.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:17 PM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
1 ) Under 40'
2 ) Under 20,000 lb GVWR
3 ) Minimum 12' Garage
Grand Design Momentum ..
Dutchmen Voltage ..
Keystone Raptor ..
Keystone Fusion ..
Heartland Cyclone ..
Heartland Torque ..
We had nearly the same requirements and have the same truck, but a short bed, when we were in the fall of 2017. We looked at everything on your list except Jayco. We decided on a Momentum 349M and couldn’t be happier. It’s has a 13’6” garage which will hold 2 atv’s, 2 kayaks, or my Harley Limited depending on where we’re going. The max GVW is 16,500, the length is around 39’, and the pin weight is around 3k. With a SRW truck, I’m right at my GVW for my truck. IMO, this is as big as I’d go without a DRW. Many people have DRW with this size. Momentum has several floor plans in that size range in the M series line and have a new G series line this model year.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:51 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by xrated
There are no probably's about it......a 20,000 GVWR trailer had to have a dually. Nothing SRW in a nice truck will carry that much weight caused by the pin weight.
Gooseneck rating for his truck, which is the same as my truck, is 20,400 lbs. Fifth wheel is 18,000 lbs because the Ford fifth wheel hitch is only 18,000 lbs. Would I ever tow something that heavy with mine? Nope.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:29 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
Gooseneck rating for his truck, which is the same as my truck, is 20,400 lbs. Fifth wheel is 18,000 lbs because the Ford fifth wheel hitch is only 18,000 lbs. Would I ever tow something that heavy with mine? Nope.
I'd like to use the Aluminum Andersen 5th Wheel Hitch ..

Old 01-24-2019, 10:54 PM
xrated
Senior User
Jim, I understand what you are saying about those ratings, but you also have to consider the "other" rating.....Payload. The O.P. has a Platinum version of the truck which means pretty much all the goodies and less payload than let's say an XLT. I'd be surprised if his actual payload numbers on the door sticker were more than 3300 lbs. A 20,000 lb 5ver Toy Hauler is going to put at least 4000 lbs of pin weight on the truck, so he would be starting out 700 lbs overloaded.....probably more, and of course that's not counting any hitch, passengers, tools, etc, etc. That much weight in a 5ver Toy Hauler is Dually, if there ever was a case for a Dually.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:06 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Yeah, I glossed over the cargo capacity, figuring that it was well covered already.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:19 AM
stufarmer
Elder User
Both the Dutchmen Voltage 3705 and the Grand Design Momentum 349 have less than a 3,000 pin weight and a GVWR under 17,000 lbs.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:06 PM
xrated
Senior User
Both the Dutchmen Voltage 3705 and the Grand Design Momentum 349 have less than a 3,000 pin weight and a GVWR under 17,000 lbs.
And AGAIN, we are trying to tell you, the PUBLISHED pin weight is when the T.H. is EMPTY!! Are you ever going to travel with a totally empty T.H.?....just as it came from the factory?? The only time it is going to be empty is when you tow it home, after that it is going to be loaded! How Much? No clue, only YOU know that! But the bottom line is that you have the potential to load it up to....
16,800 lbs (I'm talking about the Dutchman in this example) and the minimum pin weight for that amount is going to be around 3300 lbs and up to 4200 lbs (if you are at 25% of the trailer GVWR) I just don't know how I can make it any more clear, but you really need to learn the the ins and outs of how this all works BEFORE you buy something that you will regret.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:28 PM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
The real world pin weight on the 349 is NOT under 3k....totally empty and no options, maybe, but not loaded. Add some propane, generator, and stuff inside, and you’re over 3k. My weight sheet says my dry pin weight is 3011, it’s more than that now. The GVWR on mine is 16,500 and I’m pretty sure the ‘19’s are 17k.

I use the Andersen hitch as well and really like it. Very easy to move around.

Quick Reply: 5th Wheel Toy Hauler ??