1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

BIG NEWS ON WINDSHIELD ADHESIVE REMOVAL

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 11:20 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
BIG NEWS ON WINDSHIELD ADHESIVE REMOVAL

the few times I've used this I've invariable gotten it on something other than the windshield or the rubber.. it's sorta like anti-sieze. Attempts to remove it included lacquer thinner, MEK, acetone, alcohol and sandpaper or desquamation, which takes a few days/weeks. Sandpaper worked best but is a little severe

so... today I'm gluing door windows to the lift channel (third attempt) and using 3M 08609, Super Fast Windshield Urethane Adhesive, I of course got it on tools, hands (in gloves and glass. I had a can of brake cleaner close by and grabbed it... sprayed it on a rag and EUREKA !!!!! IT BLASTED IT RIGHT OFF !!! why haven't I tried this before !!!!!?????

So all of you with that tell tale black crap on your hand, clothes, tools... go buy some of the cheapest brake cleaner you can find and clean up

this has been a public service announcement

john

Old 01-22-2019, 11:40 AM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
I find gunwash is ok for hands but if I get it on painted surfaces if at all possible try not to spread it around and let it dry then remove . But I will definitely try your method . It will come off your hands when the affected layer of skin wears off . LOL

Old 01-22-2019, 11:51 AM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
That's great news. Why didn't someone think of that before?

Old 01-22-2019, 12:10 PM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
This is great advice! Brake cleaner works on just about everything and is relatively safe on painted surfaces. Might want to be careful around rubber and some plastics, though, as it will dry them out or make them brittle with prolonged exposure. But a short blast never hurt anyone. I always have a few cans of it in the garage, just in case.

Originally Posted by EBEAR
I find gunwash is ok for hands but if I get it on painted surfaces if at all possible try not to spread it around and let it dry then remove . But I will definitely try your method . It will come off your hands when the affected layer of skin wears off . LOL
I've used a Remington choke cleaner on non-weapon applications before, and it's VERY close to brake cleaner (but twice the price, lol).

Old 01-22-2019, 03:35 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Great tip, John! I love that stuff. The cheapest place I’ve found to buy it is Rural King. $1.99 a can. I never leave that place without 10 cans of it!

I will advise anyone who uses it to wear your safety glasses, though. It burns like hell if it splashes back in your eye. It actually melted my contact lens one time and the deformed lens scratched my eye. Be careful!

Old 01-22-2019, 03:58 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by ReForder
This is great advice! Brake cleaner works on just about everything and is relatively safe on painted surfaces. Might want to be careful around rubber and some plastics, though, as it will dry them out or make them brittle with prolonged exposure. But a short blast never hurt anyone. I always have a few cans of it in the garage, just in case.

I've used a Remington choke cleaner on non-weapon applications before, and it's VERY close to brake cleaner (but twice the price, lol).
So, can we use brake cleaner for cleaning guns? I have more brake cleaner than gunpowder solvent.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:28 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Just a small addendum to your public service announcement....

After using the brake cleaner (and/or carb cleaner) do not tuck the semi saturated red rag (or other wiping rag) back into your back pocket.
Just about the time you think things are good and you've removed all the grime from whatever you were cleaning grime from and patting yourself on the back for a job well done, you'll start to notice an unpleasant itching sensation that quickly develops into a full blown burning annoyance.
Or, so I've been told.....

Bobby

Old 01-22-2019, 10:05 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Bobby, used to have the same problem when I refilled my Zippo lighter too full and put it in my front pants pocket... made for some awkward and embarrassing itching !!!

Old 01-23-2019, 08:10 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
Bobby, used to have the same problem when I refilled my Zippo lighter too full and put it in my front pants pocket... made for some awkward and embarrassing itching !!!
Ah yes lighter fluid. It was a universal solvent but it certainly would blister your leg in the above mentioned situation.

Between Lighter Fluid, Naptha and heavily Starched Fatigues it’s a wonder I survived my mechanic days of the military.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:15 AM
Mr. Ed
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Just a small addendum to your public service announcement....

After using the brake cleaner (and/or carb cleaner) do not tuck the semi saturated red rag (or other wiping rag) back into your back pocket.
Just about the time you think things are good and you've removed all the grime from whatever you were cleaning grime from and patting yourself on the back for a job well done, you'll start to notice an unpleasant itching sensation that quickly develops into a full blown burning annoyance.
Or, so I've been told.....

Bobby
Very much like the burn you got just after you overfilled your Zippo lighter!

Later!
Mr. Ed

Old 01-23-2019, 10:27 AM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
So, can we use brake cleaner for cleaning guns? I have more brake cleaner than gunpowder solvent.
As far as I can tell, it's basically the same chemical and cleaning capability, and is way cheaper. But this could replace the "action cleaner" but I'd only use it on metal surfaces (not composites or grips, sites, etc). Hoppe's for that goodness.

Brake cleaner can definitely discolor plastics, dry rubber, and irritate the snot out of your skin. I get pretty bad eczema sometimes and made the mistake of using it without gloves during one of those episodes. Holy moses it hurt...and prolonged the eczema for another week, easy. And watch your eyes with the high powered spray tubes attached.