starting issues - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

starting issues

Old 01-22-2019, 09:02 AM
Mason33
New User
Mason33 is starting off with a positive reputation.
starting issues

I've been having issues getting my 2003 7.3 started It has two brand new batteries, new fuel filter, glow plugs, starter, and glow plug relay all within the last 2-3 months. now that its getting into the colder temps it won't start very easily, the starter cranks slower and seems to be draining the batteries when I try to crank it. then when it finally starts it runs perfect. I've checked the batteries to make sure they are fully charged, I've checked the glow plug relay, and fuel filter everything seems to be as it should. after having it plugged in for over 24hrs with a battery charger on both batteries it still took 2 hours to start. and this morning I went to start it and it wouldn't even crank it just made a very high pitched whining sound I've checked many forums and most say its just a bad starter and I'm out of ideas at this point

Old 01-22-2019, 09:32 AM
sunuvabug
Elder User
sunuvabug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sunuvabug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
First, welcome to FTE Mason33. First thing I'd recommend is to head over to the 19999 - 2003 diesel forum, search on "hard to start" and start reading. Also, it would help f you put your location up in your profile so people know what climate you're dealing with ... for instance ... what kind of temperatures are we talking about? Altitude (likely not relevant here etc.)

My opinion is you should not be having the troubles you are experiencing with all the new bits and maintenance work you've performed. Sounds like you've addressed and replaced most of the common mechanical items when trying to improve a "hard to start" situation. Does it have fresh oil and what is the weight? If you're in cold country, a synthetic 5w-40 really helps. Also, I don't think you should be charging both batteries simultaneously. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that by hooking up to one battery, it automatically will charge the other one as they are hooked up in parallel.

After that, my second thought would be ... is everything working as it should i.e. is your UVC harness performing as it should and feeding power to the glow plugs etc. Even with new parts, something may not be connected properly/tightly and causing you grief. I too would suspect the starter based on your "it wouldn't even crank it just made a very high pitched whining sound". I doubt it's the fuel (i.e. gelling issues) as the engine would still likely turn over ... just not fire. if it were me, I'd grab my multi-meter (assuming you're handy with one) and start at the beginning by testing every component you've installed/replaced.

My Disclaimer: there are many much more knowledgeable members here on FTE than I am and hopefully they'll chime in.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:56 AM
Mason33
New User
Thanks for the help, also my location is northern Michigan. I have about 2 thousand miles until I need to change my oil again I use Motorcraft 10w-30 oil with lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. as for the battery charger I meant to say I switch between the batteries every few hours. I have not checked the UVC harness but that is also brand new when we put new glow plugs in but won't hurt to check. and I've been around the entire engine bay with my multi-meter

Old 01-22-2019, 10:19 AM
sunuvabug
Elder User
sunuvabug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sunuvabug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Mason33 View Post
Thanks for the help, I have about 2 thousand miles until I need to change my oil again I use Motorcraft 10w-30 oil with lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. as for the battery charger I meant to say I switch between the batteries every few hours. I have not checked the UVC harness but that is also brand new when we put new glow plugs in but won't hurt to check. and I've been around the entire engine bay with my multi-meter
You're welcome. First, I believe the Motorcraft 10w-30 oil is the wrong weight oil for your 7.3 diesel. The most common weights in our trucks is 15w-40 (dino) or 5w-40 (synthetic). Of course some will run specialty oils like Amsoil 15w-40 synthetic etc. Oil is a very personal thing but running the right weight is very important. However, the big thing here is ... I would not use Lucas HD oil stabilizer. It is as thick as molasses in the cold weather ... prove it to yourself by trying to pour it out of the jug in cold weather. I've been doing a ton of research on diesel engine oil cleaners and lubricity additives lately and the Lucas product is not highly recommended as an additive ... especially in cold weather climates.

If it were my truck, after I get the truck running (you may have to find a place to park it inside overnight ... maybe a friendly neighborhood mechanic's garage or tire place), I'd warm up the truck/oil and then change it to a 5w-40 synthetic ... even if you only use the synthetic for this one change which is OK to do. This next suggestion may start some controversy but I'd also add 16 ounces of Archoil 9100 when I changed to the synthetic oil. You will not believe the difference on how your truck starts in cold weather. Yes, this will be an expensive oil change but your OCI can be extended and just consider how much time and inconvenience not having your truck start for you is causing you?

Changing the oil will likely not fix the "whining" noise you're experiencing (you may have fried your starter by having too much thick Lucas product in your oil lubrication system that the starter could not manage causing it to pooch). However, the correct, fresh oil plus Archoil 9100 will make a positive contribution how your truck handles cold starts moving forward.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:23 AM
Mason33
New User
awesome thank you so much ill try it out

Old 01-22-2019, 11:17 AM
Mason33
New User
wouldn't the engine block heater keep the oil from getting too thick from the cold weather? I always have if plugged in if I'm home

Old 01-22-2019, 11:45 AM
Djosbun
Senior User
Djosbun is starting off with a positive reputation.
Never EVER use that Lucas Oil Stabilizer! Have you noticed how thick that stuff is?

Drain your oil, use what’s recommended and DO NOT add any oil additives. They are all gimmicks!

— Dave

Old 01-22-2019, 04:40 PM
Mason33
New User
got under the truck to take the starter out and I could turn the bolts holding it in by hand so I tightened them down and tried cranking it again and it cranked very good but still won't start

Old 01-22-2019, 05:39 PM
Mason33
New User
Im thinking it could be either CPS sensor or ICP?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.