2014 F250 xl Right manual hub lock hard to engage and disengage - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

2014 F250 xl Right manual hub lock hard to engage and disengage

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 01-21-2019, 10:06 PM
f250Bill645
Junior User
f250Bill645 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Having trouble turning the right maual hub lock. Shouold I just replace? Is there a way to fee it up?
It will turn, but, but very hard to do so.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:25 PM
Ketch87
New User
Ketch87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would pull it off and check to see if it is gunked up. If you have never taken it off there is a good chance it is dry in there as well.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:42 AM
GlenPxC
Freshman User
GlenPxC is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just recently took mine apart because one of the needle bearings in my locking hubs blew up. If you don’t turn the **** on a regular basis it can get corroded around it and make it hard to turn. They aren't very hard to take apart.

1. Take the three star bolts out

2. Pull the locking hub out of the wheel hub. Be careful if yours is hard to remove as the plastic cage can break if you pry to hard. Work your way around the hub tugging a little on each part at a time.

3. Once the locking hub is out you will see the black plastic clips that hold the metal cap to the rest of the hub. Carefully pry these away and the metal cap will come off

4. Next you will want to remove the plastic **** from the metal cap. If you look at how the plastic mechanism is in the metal cap you will see 3 notches that hold the plastic parts in. The trick is to get these to all line up so you can push the cap out.

5. To do this turn the **** to lock. You may need to put it in a vice and use plyers if it is really stuck.

6. Next the trick is the **** needs to turn just a bit more, but in order to do this you will have to pry the inside ring up a bit at each notch so the **** can turn the rest of the way. I used a small screw drive and worked each notch area a bit at a time as to not bend or break the plastic ring mech.

7. Once they are all lined up you can just push the whole plastic **** and ring out from the inside outwards.

8. Depending on the condition of the inside area of the metal cap you might need to sand the corrosion away. There is a little rubber oring around the plastic ****. Put just a little bit of grease on this before installing.

9. Once done just reverse the steps to install. Might also be a good time to check the bearing where the axle shaft goes. In my case I had a bad axle joint that caused it to explode.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:49 AM
GlenPxC
Freshman User
GlenPxC is starting off with a positive reputation.
For reference here are some pictures of my old hubs. These were manual hubs. If you have the automatic hubs instead of the big metal springs you will have a black disc spring mech and a rubber diaphragm with a metal ring around it. Also ignore the big sealed bearing in the middle. That was the axle shaft bearing in the hub that my locking hubs also destroyed as a result of them blowing up

Old 01-23-2019, 12:06 PM
CollinsCD
Post Fiend
CollinsCD has a great reputation on FTE.CollinsCD has a great reputation on FTE.CollinsCD has a great reputation on FTE.CollinsCD has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice explanation and pictures Glen!

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.